Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the Spo2 sensor will be available?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has there been any update when the spo2 sensor will be available for use. It was the only reason I chose this watch over the others I was looking to buy.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

"Fitbit continues to make advancements in sleep and is announcing a new Sleep Score beta from Fitbit Labs that will be available to Fitbit users later this year. Using key metrics tracked by any Fitbit device with advanced 24/7 PurePulse heart rate tracking, Sleep Score will provide a nightly score to help give you a more complete picture of your overall sleep quality and what factors affect it.

In addition, for devices with a relative SpO2 sensor, including Charge 3, Fitbit Ionic™ and Fitbit Versa™, Fitbit will test the tracking of breathing disruptions, which can be indicators of health issues such as allergies, asthma or sleep apnea.

“With the Fitbit Labs Sleep Score beta, we’re pioneering an intuitive way for people to understand their sleep. It’s an example of how we are continually evolving the health experience for our users,” Yuen added."

Moderator Edit: Format

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
450 REPLIES 450

Keep an eye on blog.fitbit.com this is where an announcement will be given. 

Best Answer
But do we have a time frame, kind of disheartening when this was one of the
main reasons for my purchase
Best Answer

Sigh, its been over 10 months since I started reading articles on favorite tech websites about Fitbit's SpO2 sensor. Meanwhile Garmin has rolled out first device with working SpO2, targeted at hiking/climbing in the mountains.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @Coachalan! Just as @Rich_Laue mentioned, currently, there isn't information about when this feature will be available. However, any update about it will be posted on the Community or the Fitbit Blog. 

Hope you can enjoy your Fitbit Ionic meanwhile. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I'm sure Fitbit marketing will blast the news far and wide across tech websites, in addition to making a blog entry. It won't be hard to miss, in your travels on the Internet!

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I want to mention, how disappointing it is to buy a product that was advertised with a important feature, and it's not being delivered.

It's like fitbit is looking for employees with specific skills. I apply for the job saying that I have the skill, and I get the job.  Then at the job I have no clue what I'm doing. Would you like that situation as employer?

Best Answer

Question, when will the SPO/2 sensor actually be enabled, the device has nearly been out for a year and still no mentio or no word in it?

Garmin have finally enabled their SPO/2 Sensor on their Fenix lineup, why can't fitbit?

See information below

Perhaps the most notable feature of the Fenix 5 Plus series is the one feature only seen on the 5X Plus: PulseOx.  This is unlike anything Garmin has done previously, not because of the fact it has a shiny red sensor, but because of the fact that they’ve charted a course taking them directly into medical certification waters.  First though, let me explain what it is.

PulseOx is the buzz term for pulse oxygen saturation levels, otherwise known as SpO2. There are multiple uses for this, but in the athletic sense, climbers have long used this at high altitude scenarios to monitor such levels.  In doing so they can be more aware of situations which can lead to some pretty serious immediate health/safety/security issues.  If you’re into high-altitude scenarios, there’s plenty of resources to read on the topic.

But ultimately, PulseOx gives you a specific value – such as 65% or 80% or 95%.  if I’m at sea level and all is well, I could be at 98%.  Whereas, if I’m at 10,000ft/3048m, then I could be at 85%.  As I climb higher, that value decreases.  But there is no specific hard and fast rule on what’s considered safe or not.  It’s not as simple as saying 65% is cause for concern for everyone, because in some people it could be 75% or 80%.  Whereas another person is 65%.  Most climbing outfits will note it’s a blend of having a trained guide look at the numbers given alongside experience diagnosing someone.  Still, it can be valuable.

In any event, as for the 5X Plus, it features a special red channel that is quite visible on the bottom of the unit

Best Answer

Maybe this will be a nice one year anniversary "present"

?
Best Answer

As the title says the charge 3 just released has the same SPO2 sensor as the ionic,difference is it's activated and working on the charge 3,there's also some other new software features linked to it .

Will the ionic get these as an update and if so when ? 

Fitbit Ionic and OnePlus 6T
Best Answer

Hi @pointy101 - I haven't read anywhere that the SPo2 sensor will be active in the Charge 3. Where are you seeing that?

Best Answer
Best Answer

Thanks for sharing - interesting!

Best Answer

if you read the fitbit release, it says............The addition of a relative SpO2 sensor – a first for a Fitbit tracker – allows for the potential to estimate changes in blood oxygen levels and help track new health indicators, like sleep apnea.

read , for the potential.............

Best Answer

It is interesting, as the actual Fitbit announcement does not indicate it is active:

https://blog.fitbit.com/charge-3/

It states,"Like Versa and Ionic, Charge 3 is built with a relative SpO2 sensor that has the potential to estimate blood oxygen level and help detect health issues, such as sleep apnea."

[Emphasis is mine]

Best Answer

Well as you can see from android authority ,their report makes a big thing if the fact that ...it actually works on this device ,so who knows 

"The biggest news, though, is in regards to the SpO2 sensor. Like the Versa and Ionic, the Charge 3 ships with a built-in SpO2 sensor that’s finally being put to good use. Using this sensor, the Charge 3 will track your breathing patterns, which can help indicate early signs of health issues like allergies, asthma, or sleep apnea. This is pretty huge for a consumer-level fitness tracker. Sleep apnea is a very serious sleep disorder, and right now we don’t have a reliable way to track it at home. "

Best Answer

"Fitbit continues to make advancements in sleep and is announcing a new Sleep Score beta from Fitbit Labs that will be available to Fitbit users later this year. Using key metrics tracked by any Fitbit device with advanced 24/7 PurePulse heart rate tracking, Sleep Score will provide a nightly score to help give you a more complete picture of your overall sleep quality and what factors affect it.

In addition, for devices with a relative SpO2 sensor, including Charge 3, Fitbit Ionic™ and Fitbit Versa™, Fitbit will test the tracking of breathing disruptions, which can be indicators of health issues such as allergies, asthma or sleep apnea.

“With the Fitbit Labs Sleep Score beta, we’re pioneering an intuitive way for people to understand their sleep. It’s an example of how we are continually evolving the health experience for our users,” Yuen added."

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

That section of text looks to be from the investor site press release:

https://investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2018/Fitbit-Launches-Charge-3...

Which contains the standard "forward-looking statements" clause. This seems to be the same sort of press release that started all of the discontent over the yet-to-be-active SpO2 sensor on the Ionic.

I'm not trying to disparage the discussion; I very much want to see the sensor finally become a usable part of the devices. It's just difficult to get excited knowing we've been down a similar path before.

Best Answer

I frequently travel to altitudes above 10,000 feet.  I have one of those finger O2 Sensors.  It would be great to know what my O2 level is.  That does not take FDA approval.  Just give me a number or a graph like heart rate.  If as time you can detect other issues and give me warnings that is great but give me the numbers now.

Ionic or Charge 3 - let us know which one and when to buy.  I am currently on a Charge 2 but would upgrade in a heartbeat if you turn the feature on.

Thanks.

Best Answer

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a864464/fitbit-charge-3-fitness-tracker/?utm_content=buffer9bf2f...

Another one reporting a working SPO2 to track blood oxygen levels 

Best Answer