Improve Fitbit charger connection Standard USB-C/Longer cords (Charge 2/3/4)

Fitbit - I suggest that you have your custom Charging Adapters (the part that attaches to the Fitbit) connect to a standard USB-C (or micro USB) cord, rather than have the cord integrated into the adapter. 

This would have several advantages:

1.  Most of us already travel with a USB-C or micro USB cord.  This would reduce the volume of charging accessories in my laptop bag when I travel.

2.  The cord could be unplugged from the Fitbit adapter and used to charge other accessories.

3.  The cord could be replaced if damaged (much cheaper than purchasing another entire cable with adapter).

4.  Custom length cords could be purchased to suit individual needs (for example - longer cords for nightstand charging).

My suggestion directly applies to your Charge series (2/3/4), but perhaps would also apply to other models.   Thank you.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

10 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @fourthirty. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about changing the Fitbit charger connection to a standard USB-C with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

JasminePepp
Jogger
The cable for the Charge 4 should be increased in length from 14 inches to 24 inches at minimum.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JasminePepp, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see a longer charging cable for Charge 4. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

jensenjl
First Steps

All the charger adapter headaches would be eliminated if the charging port was a standard USB (micro, C, etc). If this were the case we would always have an easily available solution to charging. No worries about losing the specific charging adapter for the specific fitbit. It would save us money and more importantly frustration from a poorly thought out customer interface charging solution. I remember why it's been over 10 years since I bought a Fitbit device. The charging solution is so frustrating that it really isn't a solution. Don't apologize for the frustration, fix the problem.

Shwalamazula
Recovery Runner

I agree. The generation of eWaste by Fitbit because they insist on changing their charging hardware every model is the reason I will not purchase another Fitbit until they support a standardized format or wireless Qi charging. I have owned 7 fitbit devices and every one had a different charger. Even the cradle from the Versa 1 to the Versa 2 was different.

AScott03
First Steps

I can't more agree with this product suggestion.  It's quite ridiculous this suggestion requires additional votes to be moved forward, let alone the fact that your product team needed to be told that a proprietary cable would be unwelcome.

Jifwah
First Steps

I am a first time fitbit owner and user. I am disappointed in 2 things so far with my Charge 4.

1. The length of the charging cable doesnt allow me to use it anywhere but attached to my laptop. As noted since at least 2020, the charging cord should be at least 3 ft long so it can be used on a desk/table/counter or nightstand. That would be a somewhat elementary design conclusion. At the very least. allowing the use of variable length cords with the charging cradle and plug adapter would be useful. And then having fibit moderators note that use of third party cord extenders or alternatice cradles to deal with their design issue may affect the warranty is an insult to their base.

2. I am surprised the Charge 4 only displays info in black and white - or am i missing a setting? Even a cheap made in china knockoff provides a color display, despite it having a lousy app to go with it.

zachdaddy
Jogger
The charger for my charge4 is designed so poorly that I can barely get it to fit without wedging it against something to hold it against the body of the unit. I can’t believe that someone actually approved this design.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @zachdaddy, thanks for providing feedback about Fitbit Charge 4 charger. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

AK99515
First Steps

I agree 1000 percent that there should be a universal USB charging cable for all Fitbit products.  I have owned Fitbit products for years and started with the original pocket model.  My family of 4 has also owned Fitbits for years and I have found it maddening that each of us required a separate charger for our watches.  Not a lot of fun packing for vacation and/or when a charger gets lost or broken or forgotten at home. I am the only one left in my family to own a Fitbit.  My wife and kids moved on to Apple watches that all have the same chargers.   I have a Versa 2 that I purchased about 2.5 years ago after my Versa 1 died after a short time.  When I got the  Versa 2 I thought at least I would have a spare charger from my Versa 1 but no, Fitbit changed the chargers from the 1 to the 2 so they are not compatible!   I believe Fitbit doesn’t make universal chargers because the company wants to force users to buy expensive product specific replacements when they lose or break their original chargers.  Fitbit should consider that it may be better financially in the long run to use universal charging cables and keep loyal customers as opposed to gouging people by forcing them to buy separate chargers.  I don’t need all of the Apple Watch features but things like this and Fitbit lack of durability (I have gone through way too many Fitbit watches that don’t last long before dying) will probably result in my next purchase not being a Fitbit. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.