Inspire HR - add clip mode back

1. I'm a former Fitbit One user (and fan). I understand that a clip for the Inspire HR is "Currently Not Planned," but I would like an update to return the algorithm choice. I want the heart rate for when I'm working out, but I usually keep my fitbit in the little watch pocket on my jeans because I don't want to wear it on my wrist the rest of the time. You can call the choice 'pocket mode' or 'hip mode' or something other than clip mode to avoid confusion, since there's no clip for the HR, but the functionality exists, so let us use it...

Moderator edit: title & label

32 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @PocketGuy, thanks a million for sharing your idea. I think that this can be a very popular suggestion. Keep adding your ideas with us.

PocketGuy
First Steps

Since Fitbit has been adamant about not currently planning a clip for the Inspire HR, and have locked all threads about it, please check out this suggestion instead and up-vote it.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Inspire-HR-Algorithm-Pocket-Mode/idi-p/3380840

Don't vote for this suggestion, vote for the one I linked to. The choice used to exist on the Inspire HR, but an "update" took it away. That means that the capability to easily re-enable it exists, and if Fitbit won't give us a clip, at least let us use the programming they already created to better track our activities when the Inspire is not on our wrists. The capability is there, just give it back.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Do you realize that the clip mode has been removed from the Inspire without the HR

PocketGuy
First Steps

"Do you realize that the clip mode has been removed from the Inspire without the HR"

I did not realize that, Rich_Laue. Thank you for that information. It means Fitbit likely has no interest in pursuing this further, at least not at this time anyway. Guess I'll stop wasting my time...

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

It also could mean that they have done some changes to the algorithm ans that there now is no need to have storage modes. 

PocketGuy
First Steps

It could mean a lot of things. It could mean that they've changed the algorithm such that there's no longer a need for two separate modes. It could mean that they found the difference between the two modes to be insignificant. The one thing that's fairly certain, is that whatever the reason for the elimination (or merging, or whatever) of the two different algorithm modes, it likely renders my suggestion irrelevant...

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I really do not know what happened or why. 

Status changed to: Under Consideration
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

jdmx
Jogger

I think most everyone interested in this feature understands that the tiny rapid-blinking LEDs on the underside of the Inspire HR which are used to optically detect one's pulse cannot detect anything meaningful if there's anything other than your skin underneath them. Nobody is asking for some new kind of clip that has a hole in the underside so as to provide a view-hole for the LEDs, because there's still going to be some layer of clothing in the way. Rather, what we want is either (1) for the Inspire HR user interface to offer an "On Clip" setting, just like the Inspire model without HR has, so that the unit would not waste energy flashing the LEDs, and would make whatever adjustments in its motion-detection algorithms is appropriate to accommodate an on-clip condition, versus on-wrist... OR (2) for Fitbit to announce, and add to its documentation, an clarification that the Inspire HR works just fine — in all respects other than heart-rate detection — whether it's worn on-wrist or on-clip (assuming, of course, that that's actually true).

It's not like case (1) should take a bunch of additional development resources, since the "On Clip" mode is already implemented on the non-HR version of the Inspire, and could presumably be added very easily to the Inspire HR firmware. In case (2), there would be no need for changing any firmware at all, but only a simple announcement and a tweak to the unit's documentation.

I understand that Fitbit is trying to avoid the confusion and heartache that would be caused when a bunch of people who don't understand how the HR detector actually works get bent out of shape when they discover that the HR function doesn't work when the unit is enclosed in a clip. But come on. How hard can it be to change the verbiage that accompanies the Clip on all online shopping sites from "the Inspire Clip is not compatible with the Inspire HR" — as if the Inspire HR won't even physically fit into the clip, which in fact it does — to the more accurate and helpful statement, "NOTE: When the Inspire HR is enclosed in a Clip, it cannot detect heart rate, but all other features function normally."

vivasuzi
Recovery Runner

I see no reason why the Inspire HR could not also have a "clip / pocket" mode.  I know it's trendy now-a-days to have a tracker on your wrist all the time, but I personally like to keep it clipped away most of the time when I'm out.  The clip mode could turn off HR tracking and even show a msg on the screen that HR is off when in clip mode.  

outatime
Recovery Runner

It's also handy for people who want the HR only for aesthetic purposes (lilac is my favorite color and isn't offered on the regular Inspire) but want the functionality of the clip mode! I'm still mourning the loss of my One, so I was thrilled to see the Inspire available. 🙂

Trytlw
Jogger

I wish I read this first. I just ordered a fitbit inspire HR. I ordered it for one reason. I could use it in a clip. I can't have a watch on at work for safety reasons. 

Please add the clip setting. I got the HR model so I can add the band for weekend or gym use. I dont want to have to return this.

jdmx
Jogger

In response to the comments from vivasuzi, outatime, and Trytlw above…… Good news!

My better half has an Inspire HR. She wears it on her wrist when exercising, sleeping, or hanging around the house, but when she heads to the office, or out in public socially, she slips it into a clip and attaches it to one of the shoulder straps of her brassiere. She reports that the unit seems to work just fine on the clip in every respect — other than sensing heart rate, of course. So, despair not! I think you'll be fine with a clip.

By the way, here's a useful tip for anyone using an Inspire HR in a clip at least part of the time: In the device settings accessible via the Fitbit app, be sure to set the HR detection mode to "Auto" (not to "On" or "Off"). In "Auto" mode, the unit will flash the HR-sensing LEDs only when it's on your wrist, and not when it isn't — thus saving some of that precious battery juice.

Enjoy, y'all!

vivasuzi
Recovery Runner
I have mine set to OFF since I only wear it as a clip now. I still see the
light flashing whenever I take it out of the clip, should I try "auto"? I
don't remember that being an option but I'll go look.
Beckyr223
First Steps

I agree. I have a Fitbit zip that is going through batteries like crazy. I want to upgrade to the inspire hr to replace my zip and the hr monitor that I wear while working out. I can’t wear a tracker on my wrist at work so this would be an ideal solution. Please consider adding this feature. 

pmcraig67
Recovery Runner

I’ve been a loyal Fitbit Zip owner since 2013. Now that they are no longer available I want an Inspire HR but want to use the clip. Since the Zip never tracked my heart rate anyway I won’t care if this one does. I still like some of the other features of the Inspire HR instead of the Inspire. Can I just turn off the heart rate feature so I can use in the clip?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes @pmcraig67 you can turn of the HR. 

Just a note about the 2 units, the only feature on the Inspire HR that is not on the Inspire is the heart rate. 

The inspire also has an optional clip that due to the heart rate the inspire HR will not fit. 

vivasuzi
Recovery Runner
I have been using the Inspire HR with the clip and heart rate turned off
for months. My steps appear to be very accurate and I've had no trouble
with my Inspire HR fitting into the clip. In hindsight, I would have
bought the Inspire had I known the HR wasn't meant for the clip. However, I
bought mine through a company deal and getting it exchanged would have been
a major pain. So I am sticking with it for now.
pmcraig67
Recovery Runner
How do you turn the heart rate mode off? I’ve been looking and looking through the Fitbit app

Sent from my iPhone
pmcraig67
Recovery Runner

How do you turn off the heart rate feature? I’ve been searching everywhere on the app 

vivasuzi
Recovery Runner
You can turn off heart rate in the settings of the actual FitBit. Scroll
to find the settings and then you'll see it as one of the things to turn on
or off
pmcraig67
Recovery Runner

Hmmmm. Weird. Mine doesn’t have settings to turn on or off when I scroll through 

pmcraig67
Recovery Runner

I found it

HMarieBM17
Jogger

I agree! I like to use my fitbit bit on a clip at the gym because (and I do not care what you say) when you are holding a treadmill or elliptical or stair machine handle or railing the dang thing cannot track your steps and its endlessly frustrating! On your wrist then it just thinks your heart is going to blow up or something, but if you could design a clip that had a hole for the heart rate tracker to touch your skin when clipped to a shirt or pants waistband, it could track steps AND your heart rate. This seem like a super simple fix. Sometimes you have to go somewhere that you cant have a big ole square plastic thing chillin on your wrist and still want your steps and heart rate tracked and it would be great to stick a fitbit in your bra at a wedding so all those wedding dancing steps and active minutes still got counted. This seems like a pretty obvious and simple thing. The one could track from in my bra and was fairly accurate in a non-fitbit brand wrist tracker as well, so I totally believe you guys can do it, if you care to.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.