Cover Image
Nov 21, 2023

Learn how to change your Fitbit account settings

LeticiaFitbit
Fitbit Moderator

Hey Fitbit community,

Setting up your Fitbit device should be quick and easy. Here are some tips to help you make the process smooth. 

How do I set up my Fitbit device?

Use your iPhone or Android phone to set up your Fitbit device. To verify that your phone is compatible with the Fitbit app, visit fitbit.com/devices.

If you’re new to Fitbit, you can get started by signing in with your Google Account. If you’re an existing Fitbit user you may be prompted to move Fitbit to your Google Account during setup.

There are plenty of benefits to moving Fitbit to your Google account. Once you move Fitbit to your Google Account, you’ll keep all of your historical Fitbit data, with additional benefits that include:

• A single Google login to manage your connected apps and paired devices.
  • Google’s industry-leading privacy and security with added, unified privacy controls.
  • Continued commitment to privacy, as your Fitbit health and wellness data won’t be used for Google Ads and will continue to be kept separate from Google Ads.

Note: When you remove a Fitbit device from your account, any data you haven't synced is 

For more information, see the related Google blog post.

Is a Google Account required to use my Fitbit devices and services?

Some uses of Fitbit will require a Google Account, including when you sign up for Fitbit or activate newly released Fitbit and Pixel devices.

• If you’re an existing Fitbit user, you will have the option to move your Fitbit experience to a Google Account or continue to use your existing Fitbit devices and services with your Fitbit account for as long as it's supported. 
  • After support of Fitbit accounts ends, a Google Account will be required to use Fitbit. 

Note: If you're a member of a Fitbit Care program, your provider will let you know when you can move Fitbit to your Google Account.

How do I move Fitbit to my Google Account?

Note: After you move Fitbit to your Google Account, you can't undo this action.

Open the Fitbit app > tap the You tab > tap the Settings icon in the top right > Move account.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

How do I remove a Fitbit device from my account?

Reminder: When you remove a Fitbit device from your account, any data you haven't synced is deleted. For more information about syncing, see How do Fitbit devices sync their data?

• Open Fitbit app
  •  Tap the Today tab  > tap Devices  
  •  Tap the image for the device you want to remove > tap the option to remove the device (on Android phones, tap the trash icon).
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the device from your account.

Helpful links

For additional help with setting up your devices, creating an account, or moving Fitbit to your Google account, check out these help center articles. 

The Fitbit team