Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Minutes in Fitbit

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Since fitbit calculates active minutes in 3 different components, lightlyActiveMinutes, fairlyActiveMinutes, and veryActiveMinutes, which of these contribute to the 60 minutes activity guideline for children?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@AnkitaSamariya  When you look at your profile on the web, you do see activity graphs that display light/fairly/very active minutes.  The active minutes that appear on the tracker itself and the phone app use an algorithm where you have to have an activity level (and energy expenditure) of 3 METs or more.  MET stands for metabolic equivalent where one MET is you at rest.  3 METS are like a brisk walk or very leisurely bicycling.  In trying to compare the two ways of looking at these minutes, I have a lot of time that Fitbit says are lightly active, but I have no active minutes.  So my guess is that you have to fairly or very active.

Here is a link to help you understand Active Minutes.

I don't think that children on a Family Account are going to get access to the same profile page that regular users get -- I don't think anyone will be able to see their activity breakdown like we see for ourselves.  Their information has to be protected to keep it in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. 

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

This is merely a guess, but in the past, you need to keep your heart rate above a certain BPM for it to start counting active min.  They usually start counting once your heart rate is in the proper BPM for 10 min. or more.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

In that case would lightlyActiveMinutes for children count into the 60 minute activity recommendation daily?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AnkitaSamariya  When you look at your profile on the web, you do see activity graphs that display light/fairly/very active minutes.  The active minutes that appear on the tracker itself and the phone app use an algorithm where you have to have an activity level (and energy expenditure) of 3 METs or more.  MET stands for metabolic equivalent where one MET is you at rest.  3 METS are like a brisk walk or very leisurely bicycling.  In trying to compare the two ways of looking at these minutes, I have a lot of time that Fitbit says are lightly active, but I have no active minutes.  So my guess is that you have to fairly or very active.

I don't think that children on a Family Account are going to get access to the same profile page that regular users get -- I don't think anyone will be able to see their activity breakdown like we see for ourselves.  Their information has to be protected to keep it in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. 

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@LZeeW wrote:

I'd be curious to find out then, if the parents can access this information?

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes