Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Versa 4 to child account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a Versa 4 for my child. I am trying to set it up with the child's phone but the app only shows the Ace versions of the Fitbit. How do I add a Versa 4 to the child's phone? 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I had this issue but have now sorted it.

On the child's 13th birthday they got an email saying they can take control of their Google account. They need to click the link and take access of their own account. This means you can no longer have them on Family Link. Make sure you delete them.

Wait about 12 hours then the account updates and finally you can select watches other than the Ace.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @TheRockyH  a child can't use the Versa 4 if they are under 13 (USA) or 16 (some European countries)

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes
The child is 14.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've asked a Fitbit Moderator to stop by to address this with you.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @TheRockyH. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to set up the Versa 4 for your child.

Where are you located? Are you trying to set up the device using the family account and adding it from there?

Thank you for the heads up and assistance @Odyssey13,

Best Answer

I am having the same issue.  My daughter is 15 and she received a Versa 4 as a gift.  Her Android phone and Google account are supervised via the Google Family Link.  I cannot get around this to set-up the Fitbit for her.  I have tried to create a new Google account, not tied to the Family Link, but the supervision on her phone prevents me from logging into the Fitbit app with that account as it wants my parent account information then tries to tie add a school account for her.  

I have to say, this is a big miss for Google and Fitbit.  Looking through these forums, there are tons of people having issues with this same thing.  Please help.

Best Answer

I am having the same issue located in California and my son is 14 years old it is only showing the Aces options when trying to set-up the watch.

***UPDATED*** I spoke with Tech Support yesterday and was informed that Fitbit app cannot be managed through the Family Link app. Apparently the Family Link will not allow the Fitbit app to know the child is older than 13 and will only offer the Aces options. I had to remove my son from the Family Link and was able to create an account for him and set his watch up with no additional issues. I hope this helps! 

Best Answer

I am having the same issue and am trying to set it up through the family account.  Any support to work around this would be great.  This was a Christmas present for our daughter and we would hate to have to return it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had this issue but have now sorted it.

On the child's 13th birthday they got an email saying they can take control of their Google account. They need to click the link and take access of their own account. This means you can no longer have them on Family Link. Make sure you delete them.

Wait about 12 hours then the account updates and finally you can select watches other than the Ace.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thank you for sharing your child account query.

Kids over 13 years (or depending on the location) can not be part of the Family account in order to use their adult devices.  

@KateNeedsHelp, I understand how frustrating this could be and our team is aware of the phone situation and are working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

@sbvanburen, please follow @Gadgetgirl7's advise. 

Best Answer

Hi AndreaFitbit, 

I have the same problem described by TheRockyH and your reply does not help. My daughter is 12 and I do not agree with the best answer from Gadgetgirl7. This would be ok if it was my daughters 13th birthday next week, but my daughter is 12 and would have to wait 9 months before her birthday and being able to use the fitbit device Versa 4 and pair it to her phone, this is not workable and I am now seriously considering moving to another brand because of this limitation.

I do not understand why fitbit have this limitation on devices for under 13s ?? and at the time of purchasing the Versa 4, I do not remember seeing this limitation clearly stated.

Please advise if this issue will be resolved anytime soon ? 

Many Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Maya257  it's called COPPA (click to learn more) and it's the law. Fitbit has to abide by the law, which is why there is such a restriction.

Best Answer

It might be the law, but it's a bad implementation too... Why is it that it's tied to family link? It makes no sense that in orther for them to use the device, they need to opt-out completely from Family Link. Also, this should be stated more clearly in the device page.

Best Answer
0 Votes