Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add children to family account

ANSWERED

Hi

I can't set up family account to set up Childs ace 3

I bought a ace 3 for my daughter, im not a Fitbit user so had to set an account up 1st. I used my google account to log in. I set up my family how ever on my family it just say

to add children, make sure they're part of your family on Google, then set them up on Fitbit, their name will appear

I have made my daughter a account on my account as she is only 5 and added her to my family on google but nothing is showing up in my family on Fitbit app

please can someone help 

thanks

ben

Best Answer
434 REPLIES 434
While many of us have already found a workaround solution, the main concern
is requiring a child to have their own Google Account on their own device.
In my opinion, Fitbit partnering with Google has been a huge fail.
Best Answer

Hilarious that you should say that. 

Google failed so bad with this venture. I received a news piece this morning

Google is making massive layoffs in their AR sector. They're essentially killing off Fitbit completely. 

After following this thread, it's very clear why. Google was trying to use the ace 3 and similar child centric devices to breed the next generation of Google users. Gen X and millennials are not ready to give their 5-13 year olds devices. I think people l like me are the outliers. The millennials aren't ready to hand their kids devices. 

Further to that, competitors with smart watches are all producing devices with much better compatibility/ease of use. 

Even for myself, the digital space I've created for my kids to use this device is EXTREMELY restricted. 

Best Answer

After waiting a couple day here's the solution Google sent (basically, "we created a product that the average user could never actually solve on their own"). 

I figured this was the answer. Sucks that they can't fix it. I guess I'll just create her currentemailaddress.fitbit@... as mentioned, gift from Santa so a complicated return. Wish I bought a Garmin. 

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your patience while our team is working on your case.

I just received an update from the higher team. According to them, your child's account type (a former regular account that was converted into a supervised child account  isn't eligible or not supported by the Fitbit application. 

I know how important this is for you and the resolution provided may not be the answer that you are looking for. We are trying to make haste to come up with a much more ideal solution instead of what we currently have right now.

If you have feedback or requests on this matter. I highly suggest that you send us feedback or feature requests for this. This will help us to improve our product. Every change we make on every update is based on feedback or requests you sent to us.

You have an option to submit a feedback directly to Google about this by following the steps below:

To send us feedback from within the Family Link app:

At the top right, tap your profile picture or initial > Help & feedback.
At the bottom, tap Send feedback.
Enter your feedback.
Check the "Include screenshot and logs" box.
Tap Send.
To send us feedback from a mobile or web browser:

Visit our help center.
Select the product that you want to send feedback on.
At the top, search "send feedback" to find steps for that product.
Feedback and feature requests from customers like you help us constantly improve our products. Thank you for taking the time to help us!

You have an option to create a new account for your child and provide the correct date of birth so it will be created as a new child account under 13. In the event that you encounter an issue even after creating new accounts for your children, please reach out to fitbit for assistance from their technical support team. 

It was my pleasure assisting you. If there is anything further I can do for you, please don't hesitate to reply directly to this email. You will receive a short survey via email within 48 hours. We’d love to hear your feedback about our interaction today and overall experience with Google support.

I hope you have a great day ahead and keep safe!

Best regards,
Myla
The Google For Families team

Best Answer

Unfortunately, with a brand new Samsung S23 this is not feasible. Samsung has disabled the ability to add users, and Kids mode does not allow another signin on the Fitbit app. Right now this device is an expensive paperweight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. I also set up an account for my 10 year old son and it went smooth. Did you link your and your child’s account in the Google Link app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I mean Google’s Family Link app.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, I did do that, I tried everything and have ended up taking it back
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daisylot , there are lots of people on this thread who followed all the directions including linking the child account to the family account in the Google family link app, and received error messages.

Best Answer

I agree with @aed82 , I'm happy for the people that the stars aligned for with their accounts and device permissions, but there are definitely people that will never be able to make this work without

• A brand new extra Google account
  • AND
  • A separate android device for that account

What is 100% exacerbating and confusing the situation is the woeful forum software that presents "replies" as brand new "apropos of nothing" posts. Completely mangles the context of people's replies unless they make a concerted effort themselves to include the context.

Somebody could describe the actual perfect solution for this and the next post could be "doesn't work, so angry" because they replied to a "verified answer" (lol) from last year.

What a mess.

Best Answer

@SupervisedAccou as an aside, I private messaged two separate Fitbit moderators who appeared on this thread or were tracking it, and have asked them to specifically re-open this thread as "not answered" since the solution doesn't work for everyone.  That was about one to two weeks ago, and I still haven't received a response from either of them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is absolutely ridiculous. It shouldn't be this hard to access my child's account on Fitbit. You need to make an option available to log in WITHOUT google. now my child is extremely upset because I cannot fix his Fitbit that shows the wrong time and I cannot log into his account. YES, I've TRIED your so-called instructions on how to do it through Family Link - DIDN'T WORK. 

Best Answer

I finally got it working! But only works on android devices

Delete the fitbit app on your childs device and download an old version. This one works great.

http://tiny.cc/bylfwz

Now create a new hotmail account for the parent.

Open the fitbit app on your childs device and it lets you create a fitbit account with using google.

Use the new hotmail account you created.

Once logged into to your new fitbit account on your childs device, click the profile picture top left corner.

Then click 'My Family' and add a create a new child account.

This will now let you go through the process of setting up the Ace 2 or 3 on your childs account.

There must be a problem with the later versions of the fitbit app

Hope this helps everyone

----

Sorry should of read:

Open the fitbit app on your childs device and it lets you create a fitbit account WITHOUT using google.

----

After more tests, once it has paired to your childs device (must be android) you are then free to updste the fitbit app to the current version through playstore.

You canthen switch to parent view within the app but there is no viewable way to switch to kids view.

You have to click the device logo is the top left corner and click connect a device, click the ace 2 or ace 3 and it lets you switch to kids view.

But dont migrate the parent account o google or you are back to square one with the supervised account stuff.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, thanks, i ended up taking it back.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow! After more than a year of buying 3 of these watches for my 3 kids. I
was able to finally set them up using these steps. Thanks a lot for your
help.
However, one of my kids does want the watch anymore as he thinks he has
outgrown it. I can't believe google ignored this issue for this long
despite all the complaints.
Best Answer

this is fine, and my child appears in the fitbit family, but i cannot sync my child's device.  everything was fine until i moved our fitbit accounts over to google.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No worries, glad i could help

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ye, i havent moved mine over to google so all still olay with the steps i posted.

Its a actually an issue between fitbit and google.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its easy enough saying "To do so, open the Fitbit app on their mobile device", but my daughter has a Amazon Kids Table which doesn't have the App.  It won't work on my phone as my google account is logged in on it so the App won't allow her to login even when trying to use her family linked gmail account, it says she has to be logged in to the device, and Samsung phones don't support MultiUsers so she can't Login

I am going to have to send it back.  Very poor from Fitbit

Best Answer
Lots of people on this forum fail to grasp the true issue of this problem.
Just take the piece of crap back.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My 9 year old received a Fitbit as a birthday present and I am encountering the same issues. I cannot add the device as the google account is supervised. A google account for a child must be supervised to exists… so how can this work?

Best Answer
0 Votes