Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add children to family account

ANSWERED

Hi

I can't set up family account to set up Childs ace 3

I bought a ace 3 for my daughter, im not a Fitbit user so had to set an account up 1st. I used my google account to log in. I set up my family how ever on my family it just say

to add children, make sure they're part of your family on Google, then set them up on Fitbit, their name will appear

I have made my daughter a account on my account as she is only 5 and added her to my family on google but nothing is showing up in my family on Fitbit app

please can someone help 

thanks

ben

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

This worked perfectly, thank you 👍

Best Answer
0 Votes

This simply isn’t working. This is such a crappy experience. I’ve spent 5 hours trying to set this up from the Easter bunny. 

Best Answer
Send it back!!!Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer

I can confirm the Fitbit Ace 3 is impossible to set up. Spent about 2 hours, with 2 parents trying, using Android phone, iPhone, 2 iPads, and every workaround we could find on the Internet. The "add family member" option does not exist in the app, and Google does not allow you to sign in as a child. And you can't register the Ace 3 unless you're using a child account. So, literally impossible. I hope others find this thread and DON'T BUY A FITBIT ACE 3. You will just wind up returning it, like we are.

Best Answer

Hi @Frosty24 and other frustrated parents,

I have just been through this process and having read the various frustrated threads, tried to start the process "prepared" (haha).

First I created my child (no device of their own) a Google account and that was linked with Google Family Link.  So far so good.

As my son has no device of his own, I added him as a user to my phone (basic Motorola Android).  This was quite frustrating but eventually I worked out that if I had another family member on standby to assist with the account verification, eventually I managed.  At this point I have one phone with TWO user profiles on the one device.  So far so good.

Logged into the phone as my son, I then installed the Fitbit app.  There was a bit of parental control stuff but it was OK.  Finally, I added the Ace 3 as a new device under my son's user profile on the phone and his version of the Fitbit app.  I don't think it is possible to add an Ace 3 to your account, it has to be a separate account.  Anyway, got it all up and running OK.  So far so good, now for the bells and whistles...

1. Difficulties setting time - I did this via settings in his version of the App and switched off the auto time setting and manually selected my time zone.

2. Ability to view child in parent app - I'm not sure that this is truly possible.  If you go to the 'you' tab, you will see your child is there automatically but this is only showing them as a 'friend' (within Family) and gives their profile info and badges.  I don't think it is possible to see the child's dashboard info in the parent version of the app - after all, they are two completely separate accounts if you think about it.  In order to view your child's full info, sleep etc., I think you have to switch to their profile on your phone and open up the app as a completely separate person.  A bit of a fiddle but I guess I understand why - they are two separate accounts.

3. Ability to view child dashboard on laptop dashboard - I don't think this is possible either - for some reason when I try to log into fitbit as my son on the laptop it rejects me because that account is for someone under 13yrs.  It would be helpful if @LizzyFitbit could comment on this please to clarify what parents should be able to expect to see, thank you.

We'll see how we get on.  I agree it's not an intuitive process but on the other hand it's trying to keep accounts separate on the basis that eventually the child will be over 13 and presumably have devices of their own.

And breathe.... time for some Fitbit mindfulness haha!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the critical difference with @Goldsgirl 's solution is the creation of a brand new child account. Many of us have pre-existing accounts for our kids, and those "legacy" accounts have some kind of restriction on them. Some have suggested it has to do with the amount existing before Google added new rules / restrictions in mid 2023.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another issue too is that newer phones running Android 11 (or depending on the type of Android phone you have) will not allow a parent user and child user (profile) on the same phone even if you set them up correctly. Error message straight up says "multiple users on this device cannot be parent and child permission levels".

Best Answer

This was by far the worst and most frustrating registration process I have ever experienced. It's laughable how bad it was to go through using a Pixel 8 Pro. It really highlights the fact that Google teams do not work together or probably even have any idea what their other departments are doing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

They can't be working too hard on it, because it's now a year later and still the same issues. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

After a few hours of misery, this is what worked for me. I tried to describe as accurate as possible, but I may not remember certain steps. Also my menu is in Dutch, I translated to English but I'm not fully sure whether the same words are being used in the English version of the app.

I have an ipad and an android phone (Samsung S21). I downloaded the fitbit app to both devices and logged in with my personal google account. 

On the ipad in my (parent) profile, under "you", then "family", I can "add a child". Don't use a pre-existing account but make one from scratch through this menu, including all family linking and parental control things you will be prompted to do. I could not do this via my android phone.

Once this is completed you will find the child account as "member of the family". I logged in on the ipad using the newly created child account and I, as a parent, had to give some parental approvals, which I did via my android device. Once logged in as child on the fitbit app, I could start installing the ace 3.

I hope it works for you...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great reply and I think that's more or less what I did too. It's a very
good idea to have 2 devices on hand eg iPad and phone during set up so that
you can deal with parental permissions etc.

I think much of the confusion lies in the fact that the guides suggest you
can add a child account to the adult account which I'm pretty sure you
cannot do. The child has a totally separate Fitbit account but they do
appear within your Fitbit family (under "You") at the bottom of the app.

It's not a good process but if you have everything in place beforehand
(child account, Google Family etc.) it it possible!!
Best Answer
0 Votes