Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set up Ace to an adult account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My son has an Ace. When he turned 13 he upgraded to an adult account. Then the ace would not sync - only if I used my parent account. So I uninstalled the Ace and tried to reinstall.  But he cannot install/connect Ace to his account, or any other Child devices. If I try and reinstall/connect the ace to my account I have to....set up a new child account. I don't want a new child account. Even if I try and set up a new child account, I cannot select his birthday because he is over 13. Someone please tell me where I am going strong because life it too short for this.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Hackeoff.

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with your Fitbit Ace. Thank you for the time you spent trying to get them resolved.

Fitbit Ace devices can be connected to Fitbit child accounts only. Since your son's Fitbit account is now a Fitbit standard account, it will no longer allow him to set up his Ace. After the account upgrade is completed, the Fitbit app will still continue syncing the Tracker to the standard account as along as it is paired to it. If it's removed, there is no option to set it up back. In this case, he can set up an adult Fitbit device.

For more information about Fitbit family accounts, please visit this article.

Our team is constantly working to improve our products and services but at the moment there are no plans to set up Fitbit Ace devices to regular accounts for adults as explained in this feature suggestion.

@Odyssey13 Thanks for your support.

Have a nice day.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Hackeoff  once you reach the age of 13, you need another device, as the Ace series is for the younger ones.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Thank you. That answers the question. It a bit rubbish of Fitbit, but at least I wont keep going round in circles thinking I'm going crazy. In my day a watch had hands and told the time. You could keep it for years and years and it worked fine. I'm only 45.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for explaining that. I knew it was aimed at under 13s, but had no idea that it was impossible to use after the age of 13. How naff is that? Best wishes, and thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Hackeoff.

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with your Fitbit Ace. Thank you for the time you spent trying to get them resolved.

Fitbit Ace devices can be connected to Fitbit child accounts only. Since your son's Fitbit account is now a Fitbit standard account, it will no longer allow him to set up his Ace. After the account upgrade is completed, the Fitbit app will still continue syncing the Tracker to the standard account as along as it is paired to it. If it's removed, there is no option to set it up back. In this case, he can set up an adult Fitbit device.

For more information about Fitbit family accounts, please visit this article.

Our team is constantly working to improve our products and services but at the moment there are no plans to set up Fitbit Ace devices to regular accounts for adults as explained in this feature suggestion.

@Odyssey13 Thanks for your support.

Have a nice day.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Best Answer

@EdsonFitbitthanks for excellent explanation. What happens if I change phone or i delete the app and reinstall it? Is the Ace still paired with the adult account?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. Does Fitbit prewarn anyone that buys a child's device for their 12 year old that it will only work for them for 1 year? Does Fitbit explain to a 13year old child as they switch their account to a standard account that their device won't really work for them anymore? Does it warn parent accounts NOT to remove the device from their own account or else have a useless device? Maybe I missed those.

Best Answer

Also is there any replacement program so I can send to fitbit the Ace and get a discount for a charge/Inspire tracker?

Best Answer

@Hackeoff  the second half of that article referenced above is all about transitioning from the child account to the adult account. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rufous44  there has never been a trade in program for Fitbits, but there are often very good sales prices on Fitbit.com and authorized retailers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very frustrating experience with FitBit as a company and definitely regretting this purchase. I bought a "Fitbit Ace 3 Activity Tracker for Kids 6+"

I have been told by support that this device has an age limit of 13 and cannot be used for children above 13. I will have to return the device and purchase a separate device.

FitBit is clearly lying to its customers. If the device cannot be used by those 13+ it should clearly state that in your marketing. If you are classifying children 14+ as adults you should clearly state that in your marketing.

FitBit's own page for Ace 3 device does not indicate that the device cannot be used by those over 14. This feels very much like a bait and switch situation.

https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/products/trackers/ace3

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @brianh_ca.

Similar to many online services, our Terms of Service don't allow customers who are under the minimum age to create standard Fitbit accounts. The minimum age guidelines are based on the country. Customers in the EU or Austria may have different minimum age guidelines based on their country.

For more information, please visit our Terms of Service here and read the term "2. Use of the Fitbit Service".

Have a nice day.

Best Answer

Thanks a lot @EdsonFitbit, your reply is very comprehensive, clear but not answering at all to the question. Here we are not asking to have the Fitbit trackers available to kids rather than contrary. Please point us any documentation that says that when the kid becomes 13+ he can not use his ACE and MUST by another tracker. 

To me when a product is designed to be 6+ it means from 6 to 99 (not to use 105, 110, 115 you got the point) while Fitbit for this specifi case is mandating a planned obsolescence.

Best Answer
0 Votes