Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Family Account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently purchased an Ace for my child and am not able to find the "Create Family Account" from the Account icon on my phone.  Is it under another tab?  I have an existing account (Alta).  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @Cat_Jaimes, it sounds like you don't have the latest version of the app.  If you update your app and then click on the account icon, you should see "Set up a Family Account".  Follow the instructions there.

You should not set up the Ace first, because that will add it to your account and not your child's account,  Create the family account, add your child, then switch to Kid's view and add the Ace to your child's account.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

It seems that you need to add the Ace first and then setup a family account. There's a guide to the process here: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2346

Best Answer

Hi, @Cat_Jaimes, it sounds like you don't have the latest version of the app.  If you update your app and then click on the account icon, you should see "Set up a Family Account".  Follow the instructions there.

You should not set up the Ace first, because that will add it to your account and not your child's account,  Create the family account, add your child, then switch to Kid's view and add the Ace to your child's account.

Best Answer

@Cat_Jaimes I agree with @Julia_G you need the latest version of the app which includes the family account, once updated you should see it and follow the guide as mentioned in @SteveH's post. 

Incidentally, you can set up a child account without a device and use Mobile Track, you can also add Ace at any time in kid view. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had to update my app before the family account option appeared.  Still struggling with set-up though (got ours yesterday)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you know how I can set up a devise other than the Ace on a child's account? I am trying to set up the Ionic.

Best Answer

I'm afraid you can't. The only fitbit model that can be used with a child's account is the Ace.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @lewist100, and @CrystalJo! Thanks for sharing your interest in the Family Account feature. I truly appreciate all your input, this is really helpful and keep us improving our products and services. 

As kindly mentioned by @SteveH, the only device supported to use in a Child account is the Fitbit Ace. To read more about the Family account, check out our help article How do I manage my Fitbit family account?. For information on how to set up Ace, you can follow How do I set up Fitbit Ace? To buy a Fitbit Ace visit the Fitbit.com/store.

Catch you later! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

Hi, my son is 9, so he can’t open an account himself.

He has a Charge2 Fitbit as a present.  I can attach him as a family member to me, but I can’t attach his device.

what do I do to activate and setup his Charge2??

thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Caz66 I'm afraid you can't. The only fitbit that can be used with a child account is the Ace.

To set up an account to be used with a Charge 2 you need to be at least 13

Best Answer
Another question...Do u actually need an account to use a Charge2? Can it be a standalone, to just display heartrate/steps etc?
Ta

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5
Best Answer
0 Votes

A fitbit can be used standalone but you would only see data for today. When the counts reset at midnight the previous day's data would be lost. You would also lose some functions that rely on connection to the servers, such as sleep tracking. You would also not be able to use the fitbit app or any of the social functions such as challenges.

The biggest issue though would be that new fitbits only show a setup URL until the setup process is complete. So, you would need to connect it to an account before you could use it standalone.

Best Answer

Garmin har products for kids, so you don't need to have a certain tracker, a certain age, a certain weight. So, it's more open to kids usage

Best Answer

@bgronas Welcome to the Fitbit forums! I appreciate your feedback and comments!

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Judging by all the problems your software was not ready for distribution.  I got two child accounts set up with multiple tries on a widows app. But still cannot get it to see it from my android  plus my phone only has a mini usb cable and you charger is a full size usb A.

It works but you need to fix the software

Best Answer

Hello @ScottHStuart, it's good to see you around in the forums for the first time. 

Thanks for all the feedback provided and for sharing your experience with this. Could you please provide more details on what you mentioned about not being able to see the child accounts in your Android device and the charging cable? 

Are you getting an error message when you try to open the child accounts in your Android? Also, please note that you can only connect Ace to one device. 

Are you having an inconvenience to charge the Fitbit Ace with the charging cable that was included? We recommend plugging your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or other low-energy device. If necessary, you can use a UL-certified USB wall charger. Don't use a USB hub or battery pack to charge, and only use the charging cable that came with your device.

Keep me posted. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes
When i go to add a device on my Android i choose ace get the add a device
screen and when i select add a new device the screen comes back to my
account screen.

I have now created the devices under my windiws app which is not what i use
very often

Thanks

scott 202.345.5564
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @ScottHStuart, if you have successfully set up your devices using the Windows app you shouod then be able to see them under whichever version of the app you more usually use.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, thank you for your reply @ScottHStuart

I was thinking the same that @Julia_G mentioned. Were you able to see your Ace in your Android app after you set it up with your Windows app? 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no family set up on the app to register the Fitbit Ace for my son. 

Best Answer
0 Votes