Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to set up gmail accounts for each child?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Do I have to set up each child a gmail account to enable them to continue to use their fit bit's??

I bought them for Xmas 2023 and linked to my own old account which worked fine. Now this doesn't seem to work and when I try to sort it the only way to do it appears to create gmail accounts for my two children (both under 10). This just seems odd / excessive for what is effectively a children's toy? I don't want to do this does this make them unusable?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Welcome to the forums @Vix2022.

Thank you for taking the time to share all the details regarding this situation with children's accounts. 

Please take note that the new process for establishing a family account after migrating to a Google account has changed. In order for the kids' devices to continue syncing properly, there are 2 crucial requirements:

1. Create a Google email address for each of them (make sure to select their correct date of birth when creating the email address for them).

2. The children will require to have either a separate or their own mobile device in order to log in to the Fitbit App with each of their own accounts that you will require to setup with a children Google email.

3. If using Android devices each of the kids will need to log in through a mobile device where there are no adults Google email addresses registered already since due to security purposes Google does not allow them to register a children and an adult account in the same mobile device. If using an iPhone they will not require their own mobile device since you can log in and log out of the children email address as you desire to get their device synced.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply. 
My youngest is 6. We have no separate devices for them. The only device is my phone. Would we just need to keep logging them in and out to update them? 

To be honest I’m really annoyed about this change. We bought both fit-bits to avoid all of this and wouldn’t have purchased them had we known this change would be coming. They are a great little tool for keeping the kids moving around /active. But signing little kids up for email addresses etc to update things they have already purchased as just creepy & weird. It’s sad as our kids used their birthday money to buy these items that now don’t work. Are they able to be returned as what we purchased is no longer what we can use it for? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome back @Vix2022.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to know it and I understand your feelings and how it is important for your kids to have working the device at this moment.

If you are using an iPhone, you will need to log out from your account and then log in from their account to sync data. In case you are using Android, your kids will need their own devices for login and syncing their information.

Please, visit these terms of sale in order to know how to return the devices. 

Best Answer
0 Votes