Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Convert Fitbit Account to Google Account if you have a child

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Like so many posts here, I am trying to setup my child's Fitbit Ace with the Fitbit app.

We've had the device for a long time.  No issues with using a normal (non-Google) Fitbit app.  I had my phone setup with my Fitbit account.  The Fitbit account was setup as a "guardian" for my child's Fitbit account.  I could open the app, switch to the "Child View" for my child.  Setup and Sync the Fitbit Ace device and see the statistics.  Great!  When done, I would just switch back to the parent view and move on.  Everything worked smoothly.

Until I converted my Fitbit account to a Google account.  After the conversion, Fitbit had no idea that I had a linked child account.  It completely forgot about it.  I tried to setup the child account anew, but wasn't able to.  For an Android phone, you cannot add a "supervised child" account to the phone alongside a non-child account.  Meaning, either the entire device becomes the child account, or you create a new phone profile (meaning all the apps, settings, files, everything... is switched to the child account while the other profile is in use).  This sounds ridiculous.  All I want to do is sync a device that I've had for a while with the Fitbit app.

I was fortunate enough to already have another device that is setup for my child to use.  So I thought, "oh, no problem, I'll just use that device."  This didn't work either.  The app on the child device seems to be stuck in a loop of "Sign in with Google" (I signing as the child account), then "Get help from a parent" (click "next"), then "Parents need a Google Account to continue" (I have one, but am not prompted to signin or anything... only option is to click "I'm done, continue"), then back to "Get help from a parent" screen.

The help article that explains how to do this is here:  https://support.google.com/fitbit/answer/14237923

This is terrible!  It's like no one bother to check and verify that the process actually would work.  The result is that my child's Ace device is now languishing as just a dump watch with a step counter.  Terrible experience.

I've reached out to Google One support, but wasn't able to get an answer.  They are looking into the issue, but from what I've seen in the community here, it doesn't look like it will be resolved.

Very bad experience from Google for Families.  I would expect a refund for the Ace device and look elsewhere for devices for children.

Best Answer
0 REPLIES 0