Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit and Google Family - no solution for large family groups

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Issue: No room in family group to add kids (to then add them to fitbit).

I have many kids and my parents live with us. We're all one big happy household. 

Until it came to setting up Google Family for the sake of enabling my kids to have fitbit. My 12 year old is ecstatic with his that he's used for years. My 8 year old has one that is brand spanking new. 

So I go to set this up on fitbit and I am blocked by the need to add my kid to my google family. Problem is, I've already maxed out the spots between grandma, grandpa, hubby, and those needing heavy storage space (we're talking 2 TB storage on Google One). Let's not get into how Google doesn't expand the number of family members so I can actually monitor my younger children's usage. But I digress.

So the ultimate purpose of having my kids use fitbit is I can also monitor their activity, they have some playful competition between each other, and well that's about it. Now, with this requirement - I MUST add them to my google family account. WHAT NOW? 

I can't and won't. So what do I need to do? Create a bunch of fake gmail logins just to add my kids and ultimately not have them linked to my core account (from which i can see and celebrate their steps?). 

This is crazy. I really hope that Google and Fitbit get their act together before the really big families realize it's discrimination. I get that you need to limit the data use, but perhaps you can create a way that people can verify they're not cheating the system. I've spent more hours than I did on childbirth (ok that's a bit of a lie) on this issue.

So finally, my really big issue was I added my son to create his fitbit account, then I had to bump him from the family to let grandpa (who's storage had met the 15GB limit) back in... so hours on the phone with google support finally acquiesced. Result - had to obliterate my son's email address.

Once I update my fitbit to my google data wondering what will happen. Having severe buyer's remorse and wondering if and when i figure this out whether I'll be investing in some garmin watches for my kids. 

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

I have spent hours and days trying to find the kids View to track steps. I think Google just wants people to upgrade to the more expensive watches and that's why the kids smartwatches don't sync at all because adults can use them and benefit without the upgrade

Best Answer
0 Votes

1000017874.png

I am getting continuous requests to update the app and switch over. Every time, this screen pops up. 

Best Answer