Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone measured the EMF on the Ace?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone measured the EMF on the Ace?  I wonder if it is less since it does not record heart rate?  thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Sure have not. I saw on amazon where you can buy an EMF meter.

But your cell phone has more EMF then any of the fitbits. 

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi, @gtFLA, the Fitbit Ace, and other Fitbits, use Bluetooth technology in order to sync and otherwise connect to a phone, tablet  or computer.  

Although I am not in any way an expert, my understanding is that Bluetooth uses RF (radio frequencies) rather than emitting EMF (electromagnetic frequenices).

Radio frequencies are emitted by TV antennas, radio antennas, cell phones, other wireless devices, and (among others) your home wifi router.  RF emissions are present anywhere a cellphone gets reception or a computer can pick up wifi.

Fitbits (including the Ace) have been tested by the FCC and determined to emit RF at about .5 - 1% of the average cellphone.  Basically that means that your cellphone is emitting 100 times the RF of a Fitbit.

On Fitbits that detect heartrate, it is detected by LED lights that shine on the skin revealing the blood flow underneath.  These lights are a tiny version of the same lights you may have in light fittings in your home, using the same technology, and they are generally considered safe, although all LEDs do emit a small amount of EMF. This is, of course, not relevant for the Ace, anyway, as you mention, since the Ace does not have the LED lights that detect heartrate.

You might also like to know that the WHO has reported that “current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields” 

Obviously it is your decision what devices you are happy for your child to use, or to be near, or even to have in their home, but the FCC, Canada, and all European bodies have certified Fitbits as compliant with safety and other regulations, and the FDA has recently approved Fitbit to be among the nine participants for new digital health precertification, which suggests a high level of confidence in Fitbit's safety and efficacy in participating in an overall healthy lifestyle.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

EMF or  electrical magnetic field is basically the magnetic field that is produced when any wire or componant has electricity running through it. This could be the wires in your house or car. This also is the technology that transformers depend on and the source of the buzz you may hear when standing close enough. Another place that has a very high EMF is your typical speaker which depends on the EMF to work. How close to the brain do you allow the earphones to be? 

Since your tracker has a battery and electricity flowing through it, yes it does have an EMF, however the magnetic field produced is the same type of magnetic field that a standard magnet has. This will also include the earth with its iron core that makes it one big. but weak magnet. 

Since your tracker also has a radio transmitter/receiver the antenna will give off Radio Frequencies as @Julia_G mentions. 

However your typical FM radio also gives off Radio Frequencies even though it does not have a transmitter. 

Yes both RF and EMF meters ate easily put be purchased. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't carry my cellphone around with me. My doctor is adamantly opposed
to them - saying they cause health problems down the road.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Probably true, your mobile phone emits more EMFs than your fit bit BUT and a big BUT. You don't have your phone at your ear 24/7. If like me you wear your Fitbit watch 24/7.

Plus you can put a shield on your phone, use a headset or ear buds, speak on speaker phone, text, keep your phone in your bag away from your body as much as possible. You don't or shouldn't sleep with your mobile phone at your head but may sleep with your watch on to track sleep cycles.

You can also put your phone in airplane and turn off wifi to further help and charge your phone at nights in another room.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Most phones however are kept next to the body in a pocket or the hand. 

A true fares day cause will deco barely stop the pbonespradistion.. But. .it will also prohibit the phone from receiving any comunicationc from a cell tower or WiFi. 

If your phone is still able to get on the Internet.. Receive calls and texts. Your case is leaking radiation. 

Headphones of any type are also out.. A speaker uses EMF to move the cone. You certainly do not want an earbud stuck in the ear injecting EMF directly into the ear drum. 

Also please stay away from any wall with wires .

Best Answer
0 Votes