Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add child to family account

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
  • Child is a family member on Google family link but I cannot see or add child when logged in. Trying to set up Ace 3. 
  • I try and set up Ace 3 and it tells me to log out and log in with childs account. So I try and log in with childs account and it tells me they can't access Fitbit because they don't have permission. 
  • Help please. 
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I ended up creating a new Gmail account for my child and it requested me to confirm being the parent. I then signed into Fitbit using new child Gmail account and it went through set up and showed me as a family member....  Not ideal but it worked. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

Fitbit ace 3 kids account has a glitch since merged with google. For quite some time. No estimated time frame to fix the problem.  I suggest returning the item. 

Best Answer

I think I solved this issue,

When I am on my account, I choose to add Ace 3 and it forced me to sign out and sign in back as my child. I did it with my child's gmail user and password. Then to pass a couple of steps the app asked my permission and I had to use my email and password to advance to the next step. At the end it allowed me to add and activate the Ace3.

However, I have to sign out from my account to see my child's and vice versa.

Also, another problem occurred for my second child. I bought Charge 5 for my older child and followed the above steps but it didn't let me add it (nor the other advanced ones) to my child's account. As a solution, I created a fake Gmail account for my child as age older than 13, and was able to add Charge 5 to this new account.

I hate cloud technology!

Best Answer

I just talked with Support and they confirmed you cannot use an Ace 3 with a Google Family account.  I didn't even have a Google Family account until I tried to add this device and the app pushed me to migrate to Google.  Now the device is just a basic watch, not what I paid for. It doesn't make sense for them to be selling the Ace at this point.

Best Answer
Those steps don't work.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem for my Fitbit ace watch! Talked to customer service. They said they're working on a fix but no time estimate was provided.

Best Answer

On call with Support now too. Looks like I'll have to return the watch my daughter purchased with her Birthday money. The watch can't even be used to tell the time, can't believe they are still actively selling these.

Best Answer

I ended up creating a new Gmail account for my child and it requested me to confirm being the parent. I then signed into Fitbit using new child Gmail account and it went through set up and showed me as a family member....  Not ideal but it worked. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you I tried this but it still came up that it was a supervised account and would not let me continue 😞

Best Answer

I've had it confirmed that if you create a Google account, and add it to Family link, it won't work.

You need to create a new child account from WITHIN Family link. Not good enough answer for an already established account linked to so many things. I've just seen there's a great Garmin watch on sale I'll exchange it for. Will strongly be recommending against Fitbit to everyone as you can't even do something simple as set it up. It's broken, they know it's broken, and won't give the fix any priority. "Could be weeks, could be months, if at all".

Best Answer

I've tried both within the family link and outside, creating multiple gmail accounts. Nothing works. even used an old phone to make sure one of the kids is linked to that to see if they could log in to the app themselves on their own phone, nope.

Very annoyed that my twin boys are coming home to a non working fitbit, on top of that this was purchased over a month ago so cant even return it. 

How Fitbit think its ok to sell this when they know there are issues is a joke. I'll be calling up on Monday and if I get no where, a small claims court is definitely needed and even a correspondence to Martin Lewis as I feel no parent should have to let their child down when they cant figure this out. 

Best Answer

This worked for me. Yes it's bs. I spent days messing with this silly thing and finally stumble onto your info regarding creating a whole new google account from within the family link app and I also agree not good enough. But don't simply get different tracker that is NOT locked down to the point the heart rate sensor is inaccessible for your kid. Oh, wait, do exactly that. I know I will regardless of what Fitbit is supposed to say. keep in mind my inspire 3 basically set itself up in less than 10 minutes out of the box. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The way that this is organized, the only way for my 6 year old son to have this watch working is that he has to have his OWN PHONE. The security systems set in place don't work. It doesn't work with the google family link. This does not work. I'm so frustrated.

Best Answer

Fitbit, when do you and Google plan on making the product you sell to children actually work for children? This is absurd. 

Best Answer

Creating a new GMail account isn't an answer, or a solution. Kids these days have an established email address, accounts with Roblox, Microsoft, Micraft (cant write it full for some reason), Pokemon, the list goes on. Starting all that from scratch isn't an answer at all. They would rather simply get a different watch, than lose all their online identity. Fitbit need to fix this.

I'm not worried we swapped for a different brand (and she loves it, turns out to be the same as her friends), but for the sake of staying in the kids market, you need to not only fix your systems, but also repair your reputation which is falling apart.

Best Answer

Fitbit is very stupid about this , I tried calling them and chatting and they didn't provide any answer. I did some googling and the best solution that worked was to remove parental supervision, install the app and watch , then return the supervision again , worked great .

Best Answer