Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age specifications setup

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My youngest son is 7, soon to be 8 in a few weeks. If I get him the ACE now, can I set it up for him, or do we have to wait until he is actually 8? Thanks.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Cainan Welcome to the Community, thanks for stopping by the Ace board. The recommended age for Ace is 8+, but you should be able to set it up for a younger child. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

@Cainan wrote:

My youngest son is 7, soon to be 8 in a few weeks. If I get him the ACE now, can I set it up for him, or do we have to wait until he is actually 8? Thanks.

Just set his birthday to a year older than he really is and change it to his real birthday when it comes.

Hoped I helped!

“Just keep swimming,Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming”- Dory
If you find my answers helpful, Vote for them and accept them as the Solution!
Ionic | Charge 2 | iPad 2017 running iOS 12.1.2 Beta
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cainan Welcome to the Community, thanks for stopping by the Ace board. The recommended age for Ace is 8+, but you should be able to set it up for a younger child. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

Will the Ace work on a Regular Fitbit Account for a 13 year old? I have an 11 & 13 year old and I want to get them each the same kind (Gotta be a fair parent these days). Then can they all join me and my wife on the fitbit family account?

Best Answer

To set up a child an Ace, you HAVE to have a child account. Why Fitbit doesn't let kids make their own accounts, I dunno...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have children, and as such never heard of the child account, but do child accounts automatically become adult accounts when the time is right? If not, can they be migrated to adult? Thanks

PS. I do have nieces and nephews, and was thinking of a tracker as a gift.

--- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer

@MoparElmo yes it should work. Just look in your app for family account and use that to set up when you get your devices

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi, @EricJRW, no, a child account is for children 8 -13 years of age and can only be managed by an adult.  This is because of federal regulations to keep children safe on line.  Once a child is 13 they can use their own account, but the data previously collected in a child account won't be transferred from the child account to the 13 and over full account.

If you do want to give your neices and nephews a gift, the only tracker that currently can be set up and added to a family account for kids under 13 is the Ace.  If you do get them Fitbits and you or their parents set up a family account, you can compete with them in Challenges.  

There is soon to be released a new Family Challenge... Not sure how that will work.  But in the meantime the Gosl Day Challenge might be a really goof one to do with youngsters, because it is not the one with the most steps who wins -- it is the one who meets their goal, or excedes it by the highest percentage who gets the trophy.  A great equalizer!

Good luck, amd have fun!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@MoparElmo Following up on what @WendyB said, you won't be able to set up Ace as a child account but you could set up the Ace for your 13-year-old on a standard Fitbit account. You could also include the 13-year-old as a 'member' in your Fitbit family account.  

@EricJRW - @Julia_G covered it, once a child turns 13* they would need to set up a standard Fitbit account and start fresh.

@Julia_G@WendyB thanks for your help here! 

*note: standard accounts start at age 13 in U.S. and Canada. Under our latest privacy policy and the GDPR which will go into effect at the end of May, persons under the age of 16 in some countries cannot sign up for an account without parental consent.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

You really don’t want one until they fix the log ins. It takes 15 minutes to get in and out of your kids account, unless your kid has their own phone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @JeanneMcFish, it is true that the way it currently is designed that logging between child and parent accounts is a little "clunky". You do have to enter a password when logging out of a child accounr, and then logging back in to parent account does require entering email and password again.

Fitbit is working on making this a little smoother.  Please follow this thread for updates and more information.  However, with entering the password twice, it really should only tske a few moments to switch.

If it is taking you 15 minutes to log in and out again, that would be unusual, I think.  It might be worth giving everyone's Fitbit a restart

Also Bluetooth devices can interfere with each other so while you are syncing one, it can be helpful to move others out of range.  If that doesn't help you might want to get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support on contact.fitbit. com for further advice.

Children definitely do not need to have their own phones to enjoy the new Fitbit Ace!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

How far away do I need to move my own fitbit when charging my kids? I will try restarting the fitbits, but between the app hanging for both the times I'm going to the kid accounts and having to log out of the app, restart the app (twice) and then the time it takes for each fitbit to charge, honestly, it's the restarting the art twice and signing in both times (why can't it just accept my password instead of completely logging me out? I have other apps where I need to switch between multiple accounts--Pokemon Go, Twitter, Instagram, and none of them are as wieldy.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you mean that it takes 15 minutes to log in when it doesn't accept your password or does it take 15 minutes to log completely in without Fitbit rejecting the password etc....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JeanneMcFish there were issues of the iOS app going into an infinite spin when switching to kid view, that should have been resolved with the latest app update. Are you still experiencing this regularly? Also, as @Julia_G mentioned our team has received feedback that having to login again when switching back to parent view is not ideal. We will continue to share this with our team. I restart of the tracker won't change how the app works at this time. 

@supersmart01234 can you explain a bit more about what you are experiencing? There are no issues of passwords being rejected that i am aware of. 

Best Answer

Just asking @JeanneMcFish about her problem... 😓

Best Answer
0 Votes

@supersmart01234 I see, thanks for your help! 

Best Answer

The infinite spin still occurs, not always, but more that 75% of the time.

Sorry, I did not see replies until today. It takes 15 minutes total to go from my account, upload through 2 kids accounts (I need to RETURN to my own account instead of being able to skip from one kid to another) and back to my own account. It's hard to find a time of day where we can just sit around syncing for 15 minutes.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JeanneMcFish Thank you for getting back! I want to follow up on this and would like to know if the issue persists or if it still taking a while to switch between your accounts.

Looking forward to your response! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit The issue is that I don't think you guys what it would be like to have 2 or more kids who don't have their own devices. The "hanging" issue has mitigated slightly, though I think that's because one of the two Aces has been out of service for over a month, and the replacement you sent didn't work. Honestly, you need to either make it so that the main account can sync for the kids by switching the bluetooth, make there be a kid's only app, or, at the very least, let it sync on the Amazon kids' accounts on the Fire. And then you need to pretend that one of the people testing these things is a parent with two or more kids. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JeanneMcFish I understand your point and appreciate your feedback about this. Please check out Kate's post constantly since she recommended some tips.

I really appreciate your time and patience with this!

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes