Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ace or Fibit Charge 2 for a 9 year old

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. The wife is adamant that she wants to get our daughter a Fitbit Charge 2 for her 9th birthday in a months time, but I'm thinking the Ace is a better as it's geared more towards kids, and is a slightly cheaper option.

Are there any advantage or disadvantages in going with ether?

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Hi @SecondGenesis

Only the Ace will allow you to set up a Family Account for your daughter. The Charge 2 won't let her do that. The band is also smaller and made for a child where the small Charge 2 band is larger.

Why not start out with the Ace and if your daughter likes it well enough, get her a different style when she turns 13 and can transition to an adult account.

Do others in your family and friends circle also wear Fitbits? It's fun to do challenges together.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my wife has a Charge 2, which I think is why she wants to get her one. She said you can get smaller bands for the Charge 2, but I'm still picking the Ace as the better option.

Best Answer

Ace : One Size; fits wrists 5.0” - 6.34" in circumference.

Alta HR (bands also fit the Ace)

Small : Fits wrists 5.5" - 6.7" in circumference

Large : Fits wrists 6.7" - 8.1" in circumference

All Fitbit band sizes are as above.

The Ace was made so children could join in on the journey with their family and friends. There are rules in place in the United States and in Europe, stating children of a certain age aren't allowed to have accounts. (See Section 2, this link - click )

The Family Account was set up just so these children could join in, under a guardian's watchful eye.

If your daughter signs up to use any other Fitbit device, she can't use her own true birth date. Using the birth date is important because a young girl of nine isn't quite the same in size (stride is a factor) as a thirteen year old teen.

Whatever you decide to do, the community is here to help you with whatever we can. Hope you're able to work this out to where everyone is happy.

Let us know what you and the wife decide.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

@Odyssey13 summed it up pretty well.  I will also add that I like having the Ace for my son because it is just a simpler interface - steps, active minutes, sleep, and a clock face.  He doesn't get bogged down with all the other menu options that are available on the Charge 2.  Another big thing for me is the absence of calorie burn data on the Ace. I just don't want my 8 year old getting obsessed with calories in vs calories out this soon.   

Best Answer

Thanks everyone for your input 🙂

I have just ordered her a Fitbit Ace.

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my wife has a Charge 2, which I think is why she wants to get her one. She said you can get smaller bands for the Charge 2

Subway Surfers Psiphon Hill Climb Racing

Best Answer
0 Votes

my 10 year old has an alta and the small band is just a bit too big - shes had since she was 8.  but she has worn it happily 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

As @Odyssey13 the only tracker that currently triggers the Family Account is the Ace, which is geared specifically towards children.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

@Melissajane the Alta is not compliant with COPPA, should a security breach happ n with her account you will be on your own. 

Best Answer

@SecondGenesis Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm glad to hear that you decided to order a Fitbit Ace for your daughter, which is the Fitbit tracker for kids as mentioned my friends @13Odyssey and @Jrdubyakc. They're totally correct about this.

@colombo13 I'm glad to hear that the information provided above was helpful!

@Melissajane No one could have said it better than @13Odyssey@DramaQueenDiva @Rich_Laue and @Jrdubyakc. Only Ace can be set up to a Child account and depending on your region, you need to be at least 13 to set up an adult account.

See you all later! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer