Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if my son already has a 13+ account?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My son has a Zip that finally died so we are looking to replace it. We already have him set up with a 13+ account. We have an Aria that he uses as well. Can he use his current account with the Ace? Also, I know that he can participate in challenges with my husband and me, but can we add him to other challenges that include users he’s not friends with? The Ace seems to be the best contender for replacement, as the Alta costs more and he wants to be able to see his steps on the device which rules out the Flex 2. 

Current::: Charge 3, Aria /// Retired::: Flex, Charge HR, Blaze, Versa, Charge 2
Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16
@jlpayne Only by buying a Fitbit Ace and creating a family account can you set up a device for your child. Through the family account setting in the Fitbit app, you can create a special Fitbit account—known as a child account—for your child, and pair the Ace. Your child can participate in Challenges, as well as cheer and taunt, participants who aren’t part of your family account. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

@jlpayne I assume your son is over 13. To conform with USA laws the Ace is very limited

Best Answer

As @KateFitbit mentioned, he can participate in challenges with the Ace with you and your husband. My mom had the Ace and I have the Versa, Alta HR, and Ionic and we're currently in a "Goal Day" challenge.

Conversely, if I decided to have a Workweek Hustle challenge with her, I could do that too. I could even invite others to the challenge not on her friend's list, such as @KateFitbit or @Rich_Laue and she could cheer them on or interact with them in the challenge as well.

I hope @Rich_Laue and @KateFitbit don't mind me using them as examples in this answer!

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Hi, @jlpayne, if your chilld is over 13 with his own account he can use any Fitbit tracker, including the Ace,  The Ace can be set up on an adult (= over 13 account) as well as a child account, although since it is soecifically designed for children, it does have some limitations as @Rich_Laue mentions,

As your son has an over 13 account you will not have certain safeguards concerning who he interacts with, which you would have on a child account -- but if he already has an over 13 account you will be aware of that.

With an over 13 account he will be able, as with his now retired Zip, to participate in the full range of challenges with you and others.

If your child is under 13 he should not have an adult account, as per Fitbit's terms and conditions.  In that case you should create a Family Account and add your under 13 son as a child on that account and set up the Ace for him there.  You will then have full control over who he interacts with on line.  However, he will still be able to participate in challenges with you, with anyone in your family group, and with anyone you invite to the challenge.  He will not be able to invite others to particpate -- you would need to do that on his behalf.

Also his data from his previous over 13 account will not be carried forward into the child account you create.

I hope this is all clear.  Please do post again if you have any further questions.  There is always someone here to help.  

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I noticed this too. I bought the Ace because it is water resistant but my son is also 13 plus and I could not put him in family sharing unless I made him younger. You can’t set him up at his real age for the Ace. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Northof49 Thank you for joining us in this thread! The information you shared is correct. In addition, if any of your children is over 13 years old, you can add them as a family member in the family account. For more information about this, you can check out this help article.

See you all later! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

@DramaQueenDiva (or any other adult using ace) I’m considering getting an ace for myself to replace an aging alta. I don’t use the text notifications, etc. so I won’t miss that. What I’m wondering is what all can be shown on your mom’s display...specifically I’m wondering about distance. I read something that made me think distance will show up in the app but not on the actual display. Can you confirm?

Also, I know I’ve seen you can set ace up in a regular, older than 13 account (vs the family parent/child acct). Does your mom’s app look and function as normal (like it would with any other Fitbit) when set up this way?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am the mom. I’m not certain exactly what I set up but I do see everything in parent mode but to switch modes is frustrating so I just look at his app.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think @DramaQueenDiva‘s Mom has one she uses as an adult...I saw this mentioned in a different thread.

thanks though 🙂

Best Answer

I set my mom up as a kid, @NerdGirlNicole, so I can only see her Calories Burned and steps on her dashboard.  She doesn't care about the rest.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Gotcha...thx!

Best Answer

@NerdGirlNicole, you do not need to be set up as a kid.  You can set up your Ace on an acult account just like any other Fitbit and it will work exactly the same

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Thanks @Julia_G. Do you happen to know if it can display distance on the device? I’ve heard it does and I’ve heard it doesn’t.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NerdGirlNicole Thank you for getting back! Regarding your question, the Ace doesn't display distance. Please check out this help article which provides more information about what the Fitbit Ace can track.

Let me know if you have additional questions! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

I have the same issue. I have a special needs daughter and the Ace is perfect for her. I ended up having to make her younger in Fitbit just so it would work. I wish I could put her real age!

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @Kimmer_1, it could certainly be useful to other parents to have the option to use the Ace and family account features without some of the age restrictions.

Currently, and similar to many online services, the Terms of Service do not allow users who are under the minimum age to create standard Fitbit accounts and the minimum age is 13, this is why Ace is particularly designed for kids 8+, but Fitbit is always gathering feedback from it's users to continue improving the quality of products and the user experience.  

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer