Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 months and Alta HR dies?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone have any experience with a fitbit working great while under warranty and then as soon as its up the fitbit stops working?  I have an Alta HR that i got in April 2017.  Last week the battery started only lasting 2-3 hours after a full charge.  I chatted with fitbit support yesterday and they wanted me to do a battery drain test that required me to fully charge the fitbit. I tried to put it on the charger to do the test and it won't even power on or charge on the charger now.  A friend has a different fitbit model that also quit working at 14 months of age.  Are these devices designed to be disposable as soon as the warranty runs out?  I love it, but $179 each year is a costly investment.  I emailed support to see if anything could be done, but haven't heard back.  Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?  Thanks.

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

my fitbit alta is 15 months old and when I contact FITBIT they said "sorry" it's an electronic device and they all have an expiration date.  I'm so frustrated. I also don't like that I'm not talking to someone in the United States.

Best Answer

Well it would be a lot different if it were a band. I'm talking about the Fitbit itself. I can get better bands on Amazon for next to nothing. The Fitbit is expensive and not cheap to have to buy a new one every year. 25% off just doesn't cut it. Just ironic how they quit working right after the warranty is up.

Funny how a Fitbit Moderator edited one of my comments and "removed personal information" when I never post any of my personal information. Beware they will edit to make them look better.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Yes they do!!! They blocked me from this site for two weeks because I said we should purchase from  a competitor.  Fitbit does not care about their customers there’s an issue with the battery and they will not address it. Fitbit is acting like it is OK to purchase a new Fitbit every year once they die.  This is unacceptable!!! Buy elsewhere 

Best Answer
What difference does it make where they are located? That doesn’t affect Fitbit’s policy.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

When my Fitbit worked, I love it andFitbit is cheaper, but at this point, I'm seriously considering the Apple watch.

Best Answer

Yes That’s exactly what I purchased an Apple Watch and LOVE it!!!  Go to a company that stands behind their products

Best Answer
0 Votes

My third fitbit in 3 years just died.  I understand they are not making this model anymore.   They are seem to die shorty after the warranty period.  This has been an expensive endeavor don’t think I want to invest that much money again  and will look for a more modest investment.  

Best Answer

Paid $150 on sale for the Charge 3 lasted 13 months and the band broke after 6 months and broke again at 13 months. I'm NOT PUTTING UP WITH IT ANYMORE! F this brand I never paid $150 for a watch that only lasted 13 months why would I do that for a tracker. Anyone know a reliable replacement brand? I've had three Fitbits and I'm DONE!

Best Answer

This has now happened to me twice! I will be purchasing a different brand. So frustrating.

Best Answer

My Charge 3 stopped working after 9 months. I exchanged it for a Charge 4 but had to pay the difference in cost. If that goes wrong too I will give up on Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

We have had two Inspire trackers where the band no longer attaches to the tracker because the plastic on the tracker chips away (and according to the forums here, this is a common problem).  Of course, both times it happened when the watches were about 3 months outside of warranty.  My kids enjoy using their Fitbits and competing with me and each other and how easy the trackers and app are to use.  We love them when they work, but I feel like they should last longer than 15 months for the price.  Considering moving the whole family to a different platform......

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes straps are a piece of crap. They really should just send you two straps
on a new purchase. You can buy replacement straps on amazon for around $7
or $8. Agreed you shouldn’t have to.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had mine for 14 months and it just died. I tried reseting it, calling fitbit, cleaning, changing chargers, and NOTHING. I finally got an email from fit bit after my call and they said that since I am outside of the 365 day warranty that there isn't anything they can do. They sent me a coupon to buy another one and I was really going to until I saw this post and the entire thread. seems like FitBit has a nice little gig selling products that don't last, so people keep buying them annually. SMH. Very disappointed in this, specially because i loved my fit bit and I was recommending it to everyone, until this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I completely switched to Samsung Galaxy Watch and I frickin LOVE IT

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
I felt exactly the same way. I really loved my Fitbit, bought them for all of my adult children too. I was so disappointed that I bought an Apple Watch. I do like the watch but it’s not as easy as the Fitbit was.
Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

I had the same experience as well. This is my 2nd Fitbit in 3 years. I love it, but hasn't tracked my steps at all in 4 days. I did the hard boot several times and to no help at all, it does not track steps, heart rate, sleep, or anything. I'm sick of purchasing a new one. I don't have that kind of money. I'm losing all my challenges with my friends!  Mine is the Inspire HR 2. I still have the receipt. So now what???

Best Answer

Do what I did ... buy a different brand and bad mouth Fitbit as much as possible on social media 'till they give us a product that lasts longer than one year.

Best Answer
0 Votes

At 14 months my 4 screen died.

Best Answer
0 Votes

my band was replaced while under warranty, the next one lasted nearly as long but since Fitbit discontinued the Alta i couldn't replace the band again. i've been taping it together for over a year. the tracker still works even tho it doesn't hold charge nearly as long anymore, maybe 2 and a half days between charges. I'm going to replace it but of the options I don't know which of the current products is most comparable. Luxe or Charge? is Inspire any good or too cheap to last? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit Alta quit syncing 13 months after purchase.  All I get is a ! WTH??

Best Answer