Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13 months and Alta HR dies?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone have any experience with a fitbit working great while under warranty and then as soon as its up the fitbit stops working?  I have an Alta HR that i got in April 2017.  Last week the battery started only lasting 2-3 hours after a full charge.  I chatted with fitbit support yesterday and they wanted me to do a battery drain test that required me to fully charge the fitbit. I tried to put it on the charger to do the test and it won't even power on or charge on the charger now.  A friend has a different fitbit model that also quit working at 14 months of age.  Are these devices designed to be disposable as soon as the warranty runs out?  I love it, but $179 each year is a costly investment.  I emailed support to see if anything could be done, but haven't heard back.  Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?  Thanks.

Moderator edit: clarified subject.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

Yupp 14 months for me and it died Customer service tried to give me a discount on the next watch.  I'll never buy another fitbit.

Best Answer

They definitely only last ABOUT a year.  My husband has gone through FOUR Fitbits. 

We got the first Charge 4 on eBay, then it died in less than a year.  They would not honor a warranty because it wasn't purchased directly from Fitbit.  Live and Learn. 

We bought the second Charge 4 from Fitbit, and the connection from the pebble to the band broke as soon as we were out of warranty. We tried crazy gluing it once we exhausted all possibilities with support, but it only lasted a bit longer.

I then got one from my work for "free" (using points) that he used as his third one.  That died within six months, and Fitbit replaced just the pebble, with a Charge 5.  So we needed a new charger and new band, they are not compatible with the Charge 4 items.  It took quite a number of emails and discussions, including a video to show what was broken, and they eventually replaced it.  But they don't restart the warranty period, so now that one has stopped working after he swam this morning, and we are on our own again. 

It is completely ridiculous.  Not sure what to buy next but it will not be a Fitbit.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
So frustrating and sad. I liked my Fitbit!! Had several chargers in
different states (have a home in FL and WI) and in different rooms in
the house that have since gone to waste, along with extra screen
protectors and bands. All you ever hear about is this "going green"
movement, but how can you in situations like this? It is SUCH a waste of
watches, chargers, bands, and all the other accessories! No issues with
my new Apple watch so am thrilled about that. However, I do get tired of
change change change. Always getting used to something new when it comes
to technology due to the fact it is always changing/evolving. One should
be able to have a watch for more than 1-2 years for crying out loud. You
mentioned your husband swimming. That is when my last one died was after
walking back and forth in a pool for exercise even though Fitbit claims
they are waterproof up to 50 feet below the water's surface. Maddening.

Good luck with your next_/*non-Fitbit*/_ watch!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. I got my 3rd Fitbit last year and today (14 months after purchase), it again died. Similarly, I also got offered a discount for buying a new one. I also bought a year long Fitbit premium to it so it will be a waste because I am no longer buying a new one. Switching to a new one (perhaps Apple) and have to ditch my aria too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought mine exactly 13 months ago and it died yesterday. What a joke. Never buying another Fitbit product. I can’t believe I’m not the only one having this issue. 

Best Answer

I've had the same one since 2017. The screen is dinged and I've gone through lots of bands. It still holds a charge. Now trying to figure out why the time is showing wrong but ... It's been a good run.

All the other trackers are huge /ugly, people ask me ask me ask me all the time where to get one. Bring it back Fitbit, the plastic looking Charge looks like a toy.

Best Answer

@DingBaty the instructions for fixing the time on your device can be found here

I really liked my Alta too. Now I have an Inspire 3 and I am happy with that. I find it to be more comfortable. It has a lot more features and a bright, colorful display that I can read outdoors, even in bright sunlight. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer
0 Votes