Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR Display

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Please comment on your personal experience with display visibility outdoors.
I haven't seen this topic discussed on the Board as of yet, and I consider this a very important element of any fitness tracker.
I purchased the Alta in April of 2016. I had owned the Charge but wanted a more slim profile; something I could wear on a daily basis which wouldn't be so bulky. I was thrilled to be using my new tracker until... I, along with several other Alta users, realized that the display was very difficult to read in sunlight.
There was a Board dedicated to this issue and, although there were no promises, there were indications that Fitbit would be looking at the issue.
Fast forward to the announcement of the new Alta HR release. I so badly wanted to hear that this old issue had been resolved on the new Alta HR. With so many complaints about the difficulty in reading the display outside on the original Alta, I actually anticipated that, no doubt, it had been addressed. Wrong.
I spoke to 2 different reps by phone as well as writing a lengthy email inquiring about this "hoped for" improvement only to be sorely disappointed to learn that the issue had not been addressed.
How can such an essential element of a fitness tracker be, seemingly, ignored? I'm still puzzled by Fitbit's lack of interest in correcting this important feature flaw.
I understand that many people exercise indoors, which would negate the problem of visibility in sunlight, but outdoor activity also enjoys a large number of participants.
What has been your experience with the new Alta HR?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
139 REPLIES 139

This is not true of all LED's. I have had Garmin's that you can see fine as with phones, bike monitors etc. 

This is something they can fix, not a blanket thing.

Best Answer

The best way to get this addressed it it suggest it in Feature Suggestions. There is already a suggestion there about this so if you go and vote for it you will help move it to a priority position. Here is the link BrighterbDisplay on Alta HR

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I cup my hand over the display and see everything I need to

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I can only see with a cupped hand if it is a fairly dull day anyway.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have been disappointed that I cannot read my ALTA HR in the sunlight at all.  I purchased this after my Flex HR would no longer hold a charge, and liked the slim design of the Alta.   But not being able to see the time or read my messages outdoors makes it useless for most of my day.  I thought it was a defective unit, but now realize this is a problem for the Alta. 

Best Answer

I can't see my screen at all, it's not bright enough at all, and making me wish I hadn't bought it tbh as I can't see it most of the time unless I'm inside and in shade. Disappointing. 

Brightness not nearly good enough. 

Moderator Edit: content

Best Answer

Very unhappy that I cannot see the screen in the sunlight when your outside you want to read it so you have to find a really shady place

Best Answer

Unfortunately, @Meg2107, that is a problem with the OLED displays - one light, the sun, over powers the other light, the display.

Best Answer

What good is this product if it can not bee seen outside?  Wow, how could this go unnoticed, like the missing display?  looks like a quick return and big thumbs down: BOO FITBIT

Best Answer

Same problem!! So frustrated! Just received for Mother's Day to replace my Garmin which I loved but wanted the heart rate monitor and call log, text view etc. I just emailed customer support. Will be returning if no fix available. Useless if can't be read outside...Can't even be used as a watch because I can't see anything! Seriously....

Best Answer

There is no fix, @Jul71, it is a basic problem with OLED displays which are overpowered by bright lights, especially sun light.

Best Answer

Hey @DirkVer@Kosnick and @Sande13, welcome to the Fitbit forums. Cat Embarassed

@DirkVer I want to thank you for the feedback provided about the brightness of the Alta HR, this is really important to make us grow and improve our products. I also suggest voting for the suggestion @Kosnick mentioned since this will make our developers pay special attention to it and take it in consideration for the next updates.

@Sande13 well, the display should be bright enough to read the stats while you're outside, since you mentioned the opposite, could you please reply this post with a picture of the dim display so I can check this issue further. 

I'll be around if you have questions. Cat Happy

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer

Hi, as requested (below) please find a photo of my fitbit today - outside and with the screen lit! As you can see, its hardly visible in a good light. Sometimes its impossible to read.

Thanks a lot.

Sandra

@Sande13 well, the display should be bright enough to read the stat while you're outside, since you mentioned the opposite, could you please reply this post with a picture of the dim display so I can check this issue further.

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer

Does anyone know which Fitbit models are actually visible outside? Returning my Alta HR I just got for Mother's Day due to this issue. Not useful if I can't read the display.

Best Answer

Hello my friends @Sande13 and @Jul71, hope you’re enjoying the forums.

@Sande13 Thank you for coming back, I'm not able to see the picture you attached in your post, could you please try one more time to post it?

Attach photo.PNG

Attach photo 2.PNG

@Jul71 all the Fitbit products should have a visible screen outside, since you returned the faulty Alta HR with the dim screen I'd like to invite you to check all the other line of awesome products on the Fitbit Store.

Catch you later. Cat Wink

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer

Marlene,
Have you been a Community Moderator for this issue for very long?
If you check back to April 2016 you will see that there were SEVERAL posts about the PROBLEM with READABILITY with the Original Alta.

From the responses received from Moderators about the MANY complaints in these posts, I felt certain that Fitbit would attempt a solution to rectify this very IMPORTANT FLAW which many of us Alta users complained about.

When I received the announcement that the NEW ALTA HR was being released I was really excited. THANKFULLY, before ordering this newer Alta model I thought to contact the company to inquire about IMPROVEMENT of the Alta display.

The first representative that I "Chatted" with thought that the status of the new Alta HR display had been improved, but it was apparent that the rep wasn't fully confident in what they were telling me. I continued to pursue getting my question answered by speaking to 2 or 3 more reps (at different times) and by sending an email to ask that my question be addressed. I spent SEVERAL hours chasing for an answer to my question.

Eventually, I did receive an answer which left me INCREDULOUS:double_exclamation_mark: What Company would release a second model of a product with the same problem complained about in the original model:exclamation_question_mark: In my opinion, this reflects a BLATANT DISRESPECT toward those who complained about this flawed (and very essential) feature for the outdoor exerciser.

To add insult to injury (after being promised time after time that someone would get back to me), when I did FINALLY get an email response, I was instructed that I could return the Alta, BUT if I had purchased it through someone other than Fitbit (which I did) that I would have to deal with returning it to that Retailer. My window of Return was almost 10 months too late at that point!

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this issue was ENTIRELY IGNORED and a second model released with the EXACT SAME FLAW!
FITBIT, what explanation can you possibly offer?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Many people in this forum have said that the Alta HR display is unreadable when used outside in the sunlight. This is being treated as a "feature suggestion" or an "idea" instead of as a defect in the product, which is what it really is.

Best Answer

Hi

When having the tracker less than 45 days and purchased from the fitbit online store it's possible to get a full refund when desired or request a replacement (when under warranty), it's up to fitbit to decide.

Returns & Warranty

Feel free to contact the Fitbit Support Team: India | United Kingdom | United States

Personally not having issues with reading the screen when outside in the  sun. (Perhaps it affect a certain amount of Alta HR's made?) Cat Embarassed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my Alta HR since it came out. I've never been able to read the screen in sunlight. It is hard to cover or shade the screen when tapping it to try to see the info

Best Answer

I wish I had read these forms before I bought my Alta period I just got it 2 weeks ago and I cannot see it at all Outdoors. I am so disappointed but I don't know if Kohls will take it back period I am going to try though.

Best Answer