Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR is not counting my steps accurately

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

For the last 2 week My Alta HR is not counting my steps. Example today I was on the treadmill for an hour. It calculated about three thousand steps. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, @CoachRhondaBAM. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the inconvenience with your Alta HR. 

Please note that your Fitbit device may not detect the number of steps if your arm is not moving. If you walk with a normal arm swing on the Treadmill/Elliptical, it should count the proper number of steps and calories. Take a look at the article: How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity? 

Also, remember that if you are using the Treadmill exercise mode on the Alta HR it will use the Walking Stride Length and not the Running Stride Length for calculating distance from the number of steps. This will cause the distance to be off substantially. So, if you are running on the Treadmill/Elliptical, it is better to use the Run exercise mode, assuming you have correctly set up the stride lengths for Walk and Run. However, keep in mind that it is important that your arms swing freely in order for the Alta HR to count steps, and not held next to the body.

To properly update your stride length, see Can I change my stride length in my Fitbit account?Hope that helps!

@ydocnayr Welcome on board! Thanks for the details provided in your post.

I've seen you reached out to our Support Team after posting here. If you still need help, please feel free to contact them back by using the reference number you were provided so they can continue assisting you. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

I took at least a 40 minute walk and it only counted 20 minutes???

Best Answer

Hi there, @CoachRhondaBAM. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the inconvenience with your Alta HR. 

Please note that your Fitbit device may not detect the number of steps if your arm is not moving. If you walk with a normal arm swing on the Treadmill/Elliptical, it should count the proper number of steps and calories. Take a look at the article: How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity? 

Also, remember that if you are using the Treadmill exercise mode on the Alta HR it will use the Walking Stride Length and not the Running Stride Length for calculating distance from the number of steps. This will cause the distance to be off substantially. So, if you are running on the Treadmill/Elliptical, it is better to use the Run exercise mode, assuming you have correctly set up the stride lengths for Walk and Run. However, keep in mind that it is important that your arms swing freely in order for the Alta HR to count steps, and not held next to the body.

To properly update your stride length, see Can I change my stride length in my Fitbit account?Hope that helps!

@ydocnayr Welcome on board! Thanks for the details provided in your post.

I've seen you reached out to our Support Team after posting here. If you still need help, please feel free to contact them back by using the reference number you were provided so they can continue assisting you. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer