Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR not tracking sleep stages.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve read other posts. I too am not getting consistent readings of sleep stages. Yes the band is set properly on my wrist. Yes the HR is charged. Yes my heart rate tracks all night. Given everything I’ve read, could it be that Fitbit is having a software problem?  Any thoughts?  Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
233 REPLIES 233
That is great news. Do you remember what the steps were?
Best Answer
0 Votes
No, the agent did much of the refreshing and syncing from his end.
Hera525

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi Hera 

So glad to hear an agent was able to help you. It’s good to keep Fitbit support in mind when all else fails.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, I hope you are doing fine.

My apologies for the slow reply, I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this sleep stages issue. Thanks for the input, @JM914.

@Hera525@Cearll@divainprogress@spokanemichael@awaller and @RhondaMH, there are a few scenarios where you might see your sleep pattern (which shows your time asleep, restless, and awake) instead of sleep stages:

• If you slept in a position that prevented your device from getting a consistent heart-rate reading or wore it too loosely. For best results, wear your device higher on your wrist (about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone). The band should feel secure but not too tight.
  • If you used the Begin Sleep Now option in the Fitbit app (instead of simply wearing your device to bed). For more information on automatic sleep tracking, see How do I track my sleep?
  • If you slept for less than 3 hours.
  • If your device’s battery is critically low.

Let me know how it goes. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the same problem for the last two weeks.  All of a sudden, I only get simplified sleep pattern.  Nothing has changed with how I sleep, how I wear the tracker. etc.  I get regular heartrate readings during the day -- and also at night whenever I wake up and look for them.  (Obviously, I'm not asleep then.)  Rebooting doesn't help.

The tracker is 9 months old.  I've had two Altas (not HR) fail in the first year, too, but that was about losing battery charge.  Different issue this time. -- Jim

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to know I'm not alone.  For the first 6 months mine worked fine but I've been having similar problems, intermittently, for the last 2 months.  Sometimes it rectifies itself, sometimes rebooting the tracker will solve it but it keeps reoccurring.  At first it was giving simplified data for the whole night but this week it's been indicating that I slept for a couple of hours, then was awake for 1 to 2 hours, which I know is not correct, then slept again.  If the time I sleep after it thinks I've been awake is more than 3 hours then I get full data, if it's less then it's simplified.  With so many of us with the same issues it would be nice to have a permanent fix.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,
for about 2 months fitbit was telling me it was a software problem. Finally
after calling every few days and complaining they admitted the fitbit
device was bad, but I was out of luck since it was out of warranty.I did
get a coupon for 25% for a new one.

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's helpful.  I'm still burned from the last time they stalled me past my warranty, but I'm still in warranty so I may hassle them to get a replacement.  Not that the sleep info is wonderfully accurate, but it's better than nothing.  It's now been a month with no sleep details.  The two weeks before that had decreasing details but still occasional readings.  Either there's something wrong with my heart rate that my doc hasn't picked up, or there's a hardware problem.  I'll give them a call.

-- JS

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Anna

I feel that even though they gave you a 25% off a new fitbit, they should have replaced it since you were calling before the warranty expired. They should stand by their product. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just bought my alta hr. All good for 5 days then sleep stopped tracking. Thought I'd try here for answers. Seriously disappointing to see that this has been an issue for so many users for so long with no fix. Will attempt a reboot but if no joy will be seeking a total refund. Not good enough - surely the bug should have been fixed by now. The complaints on this forum date back over a year now. 🙁

Best Answer
0 Votes

Emmy fitbit alta hr stopped recording sleep 11/10/2019 and nothing I  have tried has improved matters.

This reply from the moderator is over a year old. I just downloaded the November 2019 app and got no improvement. If you have been working on this for over a year, what new answers have you found?  Rebooting the watch is pretty sad stuff.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Fitbit finally said they can't fix it and I ended up getting a new Fitbit
device
Best Answer

Did Fitbit give you credit for a new one?

Best Answer
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Yes they sent a new one
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! Any tips for reaching someone who can make that call?

...Peter...
Best Answer
0 Votes

i was persistent. called every other day for a few weeks

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Reboot does not fix the sleep stage issue

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta HR suddenly started skipping reporting any sleep. I do not even get a simplified sleep report--just nothing as if I had not slept. I charged it and kept it snug on my wrist. Is there a problem with the tracker? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here.  I have been back and forth with customer support for weeks now and it’s only gotten worse.

Best Answer
0 Votes