Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR not tracking sleep stages.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve read other posts. I too am not getting consistent readings of sleep stages. Yes the band is set properly on my wrist. Yes the HR is charged. Yes my heart rate tracks all night. Given everything I’ve read, could it be that Fitbit is having a software problem?  Any thoughts?  Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
233 REPLIES 233
Hi Nancy. It’s obviously a widespread problem. So annoying that they don’t seem able to resolve it. Good luck with yours
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hmm. Mine only worked consistently for three. Am going to try the Inspire.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My new Alta HR worked for 1 night, it has not worked for the last 2 nights.  I did several searches and it appears that the same problem occurs with the Inspire and the Versa as well.  I do not think it is worth trying another replacement at this time.  Based on all the posts I have seen, this appears to be a major problem with the Fitbits and the company is not able to come up with a solution.  Their standard solution doesn't appear to work at all.  I guess I will just be satisfied with the step and exercise tracking for now.  Maybe Google will be able to solve it ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

One more comment.  There was a major problem in September 2017 that Fitbit recognized and did a software update for and this solved the issue for many users, although not all.  Maybe we need to continue to request that Fitbit investigate the problem and maybe they will come up with another software fix.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Recovery Runner. How frustrating. It echoes my own experience with the replacement alta HR. My ‘inspire’ should arrive tomorrow but I’m not overly hopeful that it will be any better. It’s all hugely frustrating and time wasting for those of us affected and the Fitbit customer services team ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Best Answer
0 Votes
After all the frustration everyone is having with their Alta HR and additional Fitbit products, I’ve decided to bite the bullet, spend more and get the Apple Watch. Ya know you get what you pay for here.
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I read a comparison review about the best sleep trackers, the Apple iWatch was graded down because battery life was so bad that it had to be charged every night so that you couldn't wear the watch to track your sleep.  Hopefully, they have improved the battery life issue ...

Best Answer
0 Votes
My daughter has had hers for several years and my granddaughter recieved one for Christmas. They don’t have that problem...charge it every day while getting ready in the morning to start your day and never have that problem.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, glad to hear that your daughter and granddaughter don't have the charging problem.  I have never had an Apple phone or other Apple products so hate to spend the bucks to get an iPhone and associated products. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh Geez, I never thought about that. I’ve had my iPhone for so many years didn’t think about the individuals that don’t. Sorry 😐
Best Answer
0 Votes
So I returned my Fitbit Alta HR for a new one, had the same issue, and returned it. Bought an Inspire HR and for a week, it worked great! Liked it better! Then charged it fully Saturday morning and left home for a 2 day trip, only to find that it suddenly stopped tracking everything including steps and heartbeat. It said it was syncing but it wasn’t. Went through all the steps I could without having the charger with me. Called Fitbit. Then I realized the right thing to do is return it and switch to an Apple Watch. Amazon has them for 199. Done with Fitbit forever.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh no 🤦‍:female_sign: how annoying. I got my Inspire Saturday and was relieved coz it’s worked ok so far (2 nights). Sounds like I mustn’t count my chickens though. Good price for Apple Watch and don’t blame you for moving over. I didn’t much care for the styles available for women. All looked a bit chunky. But I might be driven to follow suit if the Inspire starts playing up
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having a similar issue.  I have had my Alta HR for almost two years and have not had any issues with sleep tracking.  However, in the last two months, I will get good sleep readings for only 3 or 4 days a week. Sometimes I only get a reading of 1-2 hours a night or like last night I did not get a reading at all.  Nothing has changed about how I wear my Alta HR.  My step tracking is recording correctly.  I do not have a button on my charging cord to press to reset my HR.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This last summer I switched bands to the stainless silver band. I have very small wrist...I’m able to adjust it to fit tighter on my wrist. Now most of the time it tracks my sleep much better. Are you sure you don’t have the black button on your power cord? It’s only on one side right b4 you plug it it. I recharge my Alta HR every day while I take my shower and get ready for the day. I always restart b4 I unplug it from its charge too. This combination of changes seems to have resolved my sleep tracking issues. I’ve had my Alta HR for over a year now and happy!

Connie
Best Answer
Yeah my husband and I bought ours at the same time and his works fine. The problem seems to be random and insolvable

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Hi jjpel. The reset button is very tiny and difficult to see but it must be there. It’s a little black rubber pimple on the USB connector. Connect up your Fitbit in normal way as if you were charging it then press the pimple quickly but firmly 3 times. If it works the screen should go black then the Fitbit logo should appear. You may have to have several tries. Did you but via Amazon? If so and within the last 2 years you can contact customer services with a view to sending it back. They replaced mine 3 days before the guarantee ran out!
Best Answer

Alta HR/Inspire HR update:

I returned my Alta HR that only worked one night to Amazon and ordered an Inspire HR.  It worked the first night and then didn't work for 2 nights and then worked last night.  I continued to do additional research and wondered if maybe I was wearing the band too tight/loose.  The first night, I wore it a little looser than I had been wearing the Alta HR and did get sleep stages.  After doing more reading, I tried it another notch looser the second night and didn't get sleep stages.  The third night, I tried it another notch tighter and didn't get sleep stages.  The fourth night, I tried it in the third opening, which is what I think I did on the first night and did get sleep stages.  So, I studied the positioning this morning before removing for showering and will try the third opening/placement again tonight to see if it works again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

OMG, it worked again.  I hope this is not a fluke and that I continue to get sleep stages.  I will report back in a couple of weeks to let everyone know if it continues to work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see that the Alta HR has had this problem since the beginning.  Mine is brand new, and I'm getting these same results on the sleep tracking.  I've tried restarting, repositioning, etc. It's hit-or-miss on whether or not the thing is going to track my sleep.

I've been a Fitbit fan for many years, but this is probably the last one I'll get.  Very disappointed how the quality has become so shoddy.

Best Answer
I am loving my Apple Watch. No more Fitbit for me.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes