Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Won't Turn On

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my Alta today and I've had it plugged in and charging for over 2 hours now and it won't turn on. If I tap the screen nothing happens, I've tried restarting it too. Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
199 REPLIES 199

Hi @hhayter I'm glad to see you on the Community. It's Amazing that you are already using your Alta. Restarting the device should usually do the trick. Connecting the Alta can be a bit tricky. I had a bit of a hard time the first time I charged. Before trying the restart once more please make sure the charging clip is having a proper contact with your Alta's contacts. There is an interesting conversation on how to charge the Alta with some pictures and advice. If the connexion is not working restarting will not work either. Can you verify if the contacts are properly aligned as per the help site instructions.

Let me know if the contacts were the issue. See you soon!

Best Answer

I have the same problem - my Alta will not turn on.

I just got my Alta today and during the set up process it tried to update and it said it would take up to 10 mins.  30 minutes later there was no progress. But the Alta did display to show it was charging.  I then visited the troubleshooting page which said to try restarting the Alta.  I did that, and it went dark and never came back on.  It was connected properly to the charger as it was charging and I was able to restart it.  Now I have a brand new Alta that doesn't work at all and over a 2 day wait for customer service  😞 

Best Answer

Having the same problem.  The band has been plugged in for probaby 3-4 hours and no response from tapping on the front of it.

Best Answer

I am struggling..charged just fine but will not sync...I am pretty sure it is turned on as the screen lights up to say it is charged and then says fitbit.com/set-up  sooooo I am assuming this means it is on..but my phone bluetooth cannot find it..I have turned phone on/off  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and restarted phone etc...very frustrated.....this is not my first fitbit so I expected better...but I am not liking the idea of a "tap to turn on" screen..grrrr...help....am on verge of sending back 

Moderator edit: Format.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. Just got fitbit Alta today, and it has been plugged in properly. It indicates that it's charged, and sometimes when I tap it gives me a fitbit.com/setup salue. But then it goes dead. I reset 3 times so far. I threw all the packaging in the bin, but I guess I will fish it out from the coffee grinds and fish bones and send this thing back to Amazon.

Best Answer
I found that I had to start on computer with the plug in ( can't remember
name of devices). I had to download fitbit to my lsptop, etc. It took about
30 minutes total and Worked fine after that..just won't start at phone
Best Answer
Usb port is not Reconized
The dongle is reconised.
But Notting .
Best Answer

I am on my second Alta in five days.  Same problem.  Will not charge.  If it is an issue that the charger does not snap into the proper place to charge, then Fitbit has really screwed up.  

What are they doing to fix this??  Never had an issue with my ole One.

Best Answer
when I tap the screen on my Alta I get a circle with exlamation mark in the middle. What does this mean? First Fitbit so new to symbols. It's not doing anything other than this and I have synced via my computer but Alta screen has not changed. I'm frustrated to considering returning 😡
Best Answer
To everyone having a hard time setting up your Alta! There is a small button on the USB part of your charging cord. Push this button 3 times consecutively and then wait a moment. This worked for me after fighting with this thing for 3 days! Hope this helps everyone!
Best Answer

It's been over 4 days without any response from customer service on this issue.

Moderator edit: Format.

Best Answer
I have had my new alta 3 days- it is charged and says it is connected and syncing. The display screen is visible when connected to charger but when disconnected the screen is blank. Help!!
Best Answer

Just got my Alta yesterday. Had the same issues as everyone else while using an Android phone. Did my research on here and was just frustrated.  So I turned to my Surface with Win10.  Installed the app and it recognized my device.  Went through the process and the Alta was finally working.  And then, just for the fun of it, I went back to my phone and tried syncing again.  Lo and behold the darn thing worked.  So my suggestion is to try to sync with a computer using the little dongle and, if that works, to then sync to your phone.  Hope that helps.

Best Answer
Thank you so much, followed your advice and after 5 hours of frustration and use of bad language pressing that button made everything work. I can now sleep peacefully - or at least check if I slept peacefully in the morning!
Best Answer
Hi just got my new Alta today, I have previously owned a Charge HR and a flex prior, it shows my Alta is charging but won't connect to the fitbit app. Really frustrated at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
Best Answer

See my post above about trying to sync to a computer first.  The unit doesn't turn "on" until it is synced.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked for me as well

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. Took it out of the box, fitted the charger and nothing. Re-set button makes no difference whatsoever. I'm at a loss. I've contacted Fitbit who say I can return it - my cost for the return postage, though. 

Best Answer

I just got off the phone with a tech with the same issue. Make sure your alta is on the base charging. Click the buton the the USB port to ensure it is charging. Restart your phone. Go to your settings. Bluetooth. Turn off your bluetooth for 30 seconds. Turn back on. Go to Wifi (if using it). Turn of wifi for 30 seconds. Turn back on. Go to app. Go through the set up process. It should work now. pay attention to the numbers on the screen after it connects. I hope this helps some!

Best Answer