Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Won't Turn On

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my Alta today and I've had it plugged in and charging for over 2 hours now and it won't turn on. If I tap the screen nothing happens, I've tried restarting it too. Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
199 REPLIES 199

yeah this **ahem** thing still hates me, help. tried the button. tried my phone. tried throwing it at a hobo and nothing

Best Answer

so hang your tongue out of the side of your mouth jump on one foot and sing supercalfragalisticexpialadocious

Best Answer

I got my Alta today and for some reason the screen works when plugged in but when not plugged in nothing shows up on the screen.

Solutions?

I tried pushing the button on the USB part of the charger and I've deleted and re-added the device multiple times to no avail.

Best Answer

I just got my new Fitbit Alta today as a gift from my boyfriend. We were originally having the same issue. My phone would say that there was bluetooth problems whenever we tried to sync the two together. So as a last ditch effort before calling customer service, I went ahead and connected my Alta to my computer. That worked fine! I opened my Fitbit app shortly after and low and behold!!.. my Alta was showing at the top of my dashboard on my phone! I think the key to the Alta is first connecting it to your computer..? I'm not sure if this will work for anyone else but it worked for me. I think it connects your Alta to your account from the computer so then it also shows on your account on your mobile phone. Good luck to all of you! Hope this works!

Best Answer

I have the same thing. Wish someone could tell me how to fix.

Best Answer

Update on this one: Fitbit sent me a replacement, which worked first time, no problems, so it must have been a faulty device. 

Best Answer
Ashlyn, thank you. I now have a working Fitbit 👏.
Best Answer
0 Votes
My alta suddenly went blank and I've been using it for almost 3 weeks already. What should I do? Please advise.
Best Answer

@myrajaffar , try a restart . That might get you up and running again.  Good luck, and keep us posted.

Welcome to the Community!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same frustrations, was charging the alta on my printer, all charged but nothing happening just got  "fitbit.com/set up " on the screen. so plugged the dongle into the back of the computer, then plugged in the Alta to charge in the back of the computerand hey presto everything works! It wouldnt sync with my android before but once I set it up on the computer the phone automatically synced..like magic..Hooray!!

@hhayter wrote:

I got my Alta today and I've had it plugged in and charging for over 2 hours now and it won't turn on. If I tap the screen nothing happens, I've tried restarting it too. Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same exact problem. What do I do?

Best Answer
I ended up taking mine back. I emailed customer support and they worked with me but in the end it just would not work. I had gotten mine at Best Buy and returning and exchanging for a new one was easy. The new one worked great.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had almost one of every type of Fitbit available, it seems, aside from the two new ones.  The Alta really caught my eye so I bought one while on vacation in a Brookstone.

It took forever to setup because I didn't have access to a computer/laptop.  Once I did I found that I couldn't set it up wirelessly only.  Although I'm pretty sure that during the setup process it does say point blank to plug the charger into a pc.  It didn't stop me from trying with my phone anyway.

So now that it was finally set up I was in love!  Until the next morning when the alarm went off.  It barely vibrated and then the whole device went dark.  As in no matter what I did I couldn't get it to light up.  I plugged it in to a computer with the charger and got the Fitbit logo and version, as if I had restarted the device. Odd.  Tapping worked at that point.  I unplugged it and... nothing.  Plugged it back in and got the logo and version again.

It didn't take long on the phone with Customer Service before they agreed to send me a new one.  I'm glad that they didn't ask me to go back to the store since I bought the device in a completely different state.  That was a week ago yesterday.  I was told that I'd get expedited shipping which meant that the tracker would arrive in 2-3 business days. An email arrived confirming the situation and saying that I'd get another email from Fitbit with a tracking number.

It's been over a week and no second email.  I've also not seen the new device.  Am I wrong in assuming that they might have a bit of a backorder situation based on some of the other return scenarios that I'm reading about?

Moderator edit: Format.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would agree. I am guessing they were not prepared for the new fit its and all the issues that would arise. I loved my Charge which is why I upgraded to the Alta. I like the slim style but I think the charge worked better. I can't see my messages with out tapping it and if you are not fast enough you don't get to read them.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ErzaScarlet , I would definittely chase this up with them.  It isn't usual, but sometimes hiccups happen.  If you haven't had your replacement in the expected time you should give Support another call.

Keep us posted!

Best Answer

Thank you so much for the advice, @Julia_G!  I didn't want to pester anyone on the off-chance that I was just being impatient.

I contacted Support and they realized that the order hadn't been processed correctly.  Not only did they mention that they fixed it (providing a new confirmation number) but I finally did receive the email from FitBit stating that an order has been placed.

I have no doubts that I'll have my new tracker soon.  Thank you, thank you, for encouraging me to speak up!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I literally have this exact same issue. Just bought tha alta last night and it synched fine with my phone (app) and the computer. It only seems to work when it is plugged into the charger, but when I take it off the screen is black and doesn't respond to any taps. I also had it charging for hours and the battery life didn't budge at all which i thought was strange. Customer service wasn't much help, they kept sending me links to troubleshoot it. Did you ever have any luck getting it to work? I'm so upset, I spent a lot of money on this fitbit and it doesn't even work  ......

Best Answer
No luck. I sent it back and got a new one and this works good. I would advise to return it and have them send you a new one.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issues - I can't seem to connect it to my computer either. Nothing is happening and it's making me crazy?! When you open it up on the computer am I missing something right in front of my face? I can't find anything to "sync"?

Best Answer
0 Votes
@amemoore , on your computer you need to use the Fitbit Connect software and the sync dongle, and not the Windows 10 app and your computer's Bluetooth. If you are logged in to your account using the Fitbit Connect software, please log out, and then reopen the program. You should see the option to sync or to set up a device.

Best Answer
0 Votes