Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Won't Turn On

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my Alta today and I've had it plugged in and charging for over 2 hours now and it won't turn on. If I tap the screen nothing happens, I've tried restarting it too. Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
199 REPLIES 199

Hello everyone! I'm happy to see new faces around the Community! Smiley Very Happy

I'm glad to see some of you have sorted out your issues after contacting support. Keep up with the stepping! Also, thanks to @Julia_G for her participation and help! 

For the ones who are having issues with their Alta not turning on, my best recommendation is to restart your tracker. To restart your tracker, please plug it to a computer with the charging cable, and press the button of the charging cable 3 times within 8 seconds, waiting 1 second per press. After the last press, wait a few seconds and you will see the Fitbit logo for showing it's restarting.

As for the ones having syncing or set up issues, you can refer to the tips my good friend @HelenaFitbit provides in her post. Those steps work for both syncing and set up issues. 

Last but not least, if you keep having issues with your Alta, please contact our Customer Support team, and they will gladly assist you further. 

Keep me posted if you have any further questions! Robot wink

Annie| Community Moderator

Was my answer helpful? Awesome! Let's help our fellow Fitbitters by marking this as a solution, and vote up! 😄

Best Answer
Thank you!!! This worked!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's amazing @TeamDJSAL! I'm very happy to see your Alta is working again! Robot Very HappyHeart

If you have time please check our Discussions board, where you will find other members sharing their experiences and tips for an active lifestyle! Happy stepping! Smiley Very Happy

Was my answer helpful? Awesome! Let's help our fellow Fitbitters by marking this as a solution, and vote up! 😄

Best Answer

Exact same thing happened to me.  Customer service couldnt solve my problem so now I'm waiting for a replacement

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the forums @knut2650! Thank you for sharing your experience. Woman Very Happy

I'm glad to see Customer Service replaced your tracker. I hope you enjoy your new tracker! 

By the way, if you have time please check our Discussions board, where you will find other members sharing their experiences and tips for an active lifestyle.

See you around! 😄 

Best Answer

Three button press doesn't work for me. Just got a new Alta, wouldn't connect at first till I restarted it. Finally got it connected and ran the first update from my computer which resulted in an error. Screen is now off and won't turn on. Tried three button press several times, no response from device... Screen is still off.

It's more irritating that people have been having these issues for 8 months and the only solution is order a replacement for a 1 day old device. Should have done my research before buying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm happy to see you have joined us in the Community @Rachel810Cat Very Happy

I'm sorry for the issues you've been experiencing with your Alta, but thank you for reporting this to us and providing us with your feedback!

In this case, since you have tried the restart, I'd recommend contacting our Customer Support and explaining the situation to them. They will gladly look further into this and provide you with the best solution for this. 

Catch you later! Woman Very Happy

Best Answer

I can't get anything on the display screen not even the battery charge picture.  Ive tried plugging it into the computer and alos through a charger into a power point, still nothing.  Please advise this is very frustrating as it a xmas present for my son.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is crazy. Just gave one to my partner for christmas and it bricked in the setup process. A few minutes turned into 10 then 20 then 30 then an hour and nothing. Nothing in the help forum works. Alta is not recognized by the iphone or mac app anymore, Alta will not turn on, Alta will not respond to restarting via the charge cable button. Ugg. Merry Christmas.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

No point im pushing the button if the dam screen remains blank, these fitbits are poor build quality and poor software release quality. Mine is going back and i will be getting a Garmin, at least it works... Sort out your QA fitbit this is crap.

Best Answer

Thank you for joining @anotherone99 @altauserpdx @hoges1122! Hope you're doing great. Cat Very Happy

@hoges1122 In your case, my best recommendation is to restart your tracker 2-3 times. It worked out for me! @altauserpdx, you can also try the restart a couple more times. To restart your tracker, please plug it to a computer with the charging cable, and press the button of the charging cable 3 times within 8 seconds, waiting 1 second per press. After the last press, wait a few seconds and you will see the Fitbit logo for showing it's restarting.

Additionally, please make sure that the contacts of the charging cable make proper contact with the contacts of the Alta. 

@anotherone99 restarting the tracker when it's unresponsive can actually help the tracker to respond and start charging properly. I'd recommend trying it out, to see if it responds. Also, thank you very much for your feedback! 

If any of you keep having issues after restarting, my best recommendation is to get in touch with Customer Support, and they will gladly assist you further. 

I'll be around in case you need anything else! Woman Very Happy

Best Answer

Tried customer service and it was no help. They told me to try the same thing as found here, which is to push the button three times. Still not working and screen is still all black. Guess I'll trek back to best buy and try a new one. For anyone else trying finding this thread. Try the reset, but if it doesn't work, don't even waste your time diagnosing or calling customer support. Just return or exchange it.

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing your experience @altauserpdx. Hope you can get your tracker exchanged! it would be great to have you back on track! 😄 

By the way, we have a Discussion Board available, where other users share their experiences and their tips for staying healthy. Go check it out!

I'll be around! Robot Very Happy Heart

Best Answer

I have to say having owned other brands, i think this the Fitbit software is garbage and they should fire their engineering and QA teams letting this thing get out the door with it being reported with so many problems.

I've done all posted in this thread and the Alta won't come to life.  I also love how the customer support team said an engineer would get back to me in 3 days...what a product!

Best Answer

Thank you for joining us in this thread @mshep44646! I apologize for the situation encountered with your Fitbit Alta. 

I appreciate your feedback in regards this situation, and I'll make sure to pass it along to our team. Since you have tried all the steps in this thread with no success, my best recommendation is to wait for the reply from Customer Service. I'm certain they will provide you with the best solution, and they will  continue to assist you, in case it doesn't work. 

Let me know if you need anything else! Smiley Very Happy Heart

Best Answer

My daughters Alta charging cord does not even have a button, How do I reset it without that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @cs2445, the button on the charging cable should be on the section that plugs in to the computer. 

Some third party sellers provide a cheaper charging cable without a button.  In that case you cannot reset the Alta.  

You can purchase a genuine Fitbit charger from the Fitbit store.  There is a link at the top of the page.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Glad to see you have joined us @cs2445!

As my friend @Julia_G kindly explained, the button is at the end that goes plugged into the computer:

Alta button.png

Also, please note that the official Fitbit accessories and charging cables are only sold at Fitbit.com. If you find an accessory at a retailer, even if it's authorized retailer, it is a third party and, as per Julia's explanation, it would be missing the button.

Let me know if you need anything else! Smiley Very Happy Heart

Best Answer

I have the same problem!  It was on at 4:30 this morning and suddenly no amount of tapping, jumping or anything will make it turn on.  And yes - it is charged!  Any help out there?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! This process worked for me after 3 hours of trying!

Best Answer
0 Votes