Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta Won't Turn On

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my Alta today and I've had it plugged in and charging for over 2 hours now and it won't turn on. If I tap the screen nothing happens, I've tried restarting it too. Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
199 REPLIES 199
Yes.  This was exactly my problem also. What button?  I wrote to the company and told them they needed to redesign the Alta reset button as so many people are having black out Alta screens. Ann Marie O'DellIntuitive Life Coach, Author, Radio

- The Calling of Light
- Achieve Radio
- Ann's ETSY shop
- My Best Psychics Directory

- Leave a Feedback
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem already reported here. My brand new fitbit stayed 2 hours updating for the first use, the mobile said it would take around 10 minutes. Now nothing happens.. fitbit should make a recall of Alta as this is a major issue. Everyone is having the same problem..

Best Answer
0 Votes

same problem here-charged my fitbit Alta, said to do the fitbit/setup. did the setup and the screen went blank. customer care said to push the round button on the usb 3x in succession within 8 seconds, which I did, but it still will not power on. I know that the usb part is connected to the back as I even broke out my Loupes to make sure they were connecting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit is not paired to either my phone or computer yet. I have it plugged into the computer but the screen is totally blank. I've tried pushing the button on the USB charger but no luck so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fitbit support team sent me a prepaid label and told me that they would send me a new if I returned it.  They said it would take about 6 days after it was returned. I said forget it and returned it for a Garmin.  It took about 5 minutes to configure and works great.  Also, my son has had an Alta for about a year and it now has this same problem. Junk!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone figured out how to get off the Fitbit.com/setup part ? That's all that pops up on my screen when I tap it 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitback will not turn on using my iPhone or computer. It just stayed blank . I thought it was the charger fault but it was tested at a shop & showed that the watch is not working. This is a door gift & I do not know how to get a replacement or make it work. Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Soh12345, the best thing to do is get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support at contact.fitbit.com.  Let them know what issues you are having and what troubleshooting steps you have already tried,  Also be sure to tell them that it was a gift.

They will be able to look into this and advise you.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Thanks. Wrote to Fitbit. Waiting for reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here

it worked when it was charging after that went blank nothing happened if touched 

i tried charging it over night and nothing happened the next day. I tried the computer and it didn't respond also I tried to reset but the Fitbit would not light up

pls reply on how to help

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought my Fitbit Alta this afternoon. I have been trying to set up for the past 3 hours but there is no sign of charging ! I tried the tapping and the pushing the button on the USB cable but it's just not working! I had a flex for nearly 2 years and I did not have any problems until recently when the battery already dead ! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received the alta today, charged it etc., will not turn on.  Hate it!

Best Answer

Just bought my wife an Alta for her birthday to replace worn out Flex.

Pairing with phone failed, now black screen on the alta.

Won't pair with computer, won't turn on, button on USB cable does nothing.

What a load of rubbish! And some frustrating birthday present.

It's going back to Amazon for a refund, going to get a garmin or something.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Over a year later, still having these problems. Just bought an alta for my son for his b-day. While in the update mode, the alta went black and wont turn back on. Both my wife and I work in tech fields and are capable for problem shooting these sorts of issues. Unfortunately, this alta is trash and will be returned to the store. Gonna have to go with a Garmin or different variety.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, is the Alta working now? I got a new one and screen went blank after charging for a while. Later after 5 hours its still blank and nothing is working out when I tried doing the reset steps. Any help here?

Best Answer
0 Votes
No sorry, I returned mine and got a charge hr 2 instead.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all,

I've been reading through this thread because I had similar issues with my BRAND NEW ALTA. I wanted to post a recent update since this has been an ongoing issue since last year....

Anyway, I received it as a gift yesterday Smiley Indifferent and I charged it using my computer right after unboxing it. It charged all the way to full and worked perfectly fine when it was plugged into the computer and charging but as soon as I took it off the charger it became unresponsive (tapping will not turn it on).

I tried all the SOLUTIONS on this theard:

• The whole "restart by clicking the button 3 times" did not work (by the way that seems to be the only solution FitBit customer service can provide so I can save you guys some time by letting you know that is the only fix that they will suggest).
  • Syncing it with my computer instead of my phone
  • Restarting my phone, wifi & bluetooth.

I finally broke down and decided to contact FitBit. I called them and they told me everything I already knew/tried (I just played along for their sake). The guy on the phone finally "determined" it was Battery Short Life. But I also had a Live Chat going with customer service, trying to figure out the root of the problem.The representative on Live Chat claimed it was a firmware update and that "the engineers are aware of this and are working to fix it" (I will post the transcript at the bottom).

My question is how do they let these products out the door if they do not even work brand new? And why are so many people having the same issue, yet FitBit has not released any official information regarding the problem. I've had mine for less than 24 hrs and didn't even get one use out of it, I don't know how some of you have the patience to wait weeks to resolve this issue because I definitely could not do that Smiley LOL lol. 

I work in the tech field and I troubleshoot a lot so trust me when I say I tried EVERYTHING. Looks like the only solution to this problem is to request a replacement. Hopes this provides some insight and saves some time for other customers out there! Good Luck!... You'll need it lol. 

Live Chat Transcript:

Ela (3/21/2017, 11:09:05 AM): Hi Michael, my name is Ela. How can I help you?
Me (3/21/2017, 11:09:33 AM): Hi
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:09:41 AM): Hello, Michael!
Me (3/21/2017, 11:09:43 AM): I called customer service already
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:09:57 AM): Oh, I see. Was the issue got resolved?
Me (3/21/2017, 11:10:49 AM): Kinda. I may have to get a replacement. I've been reading the forums and it looks like other people are having the same issue. Do you know why?
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:11:26 AM): That is great to know. I can also confirmed that here that you the previous advocate already sent you the email for the replacement options.
Me (3/21/2017, 11:11:42 AM): Seems like there are lots of faulty devices right out of the box.
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:12:29 AM): With the issue on your Alta, base on the information you've provided. To be honest, we do received similar reports just like what you've experienced with your Alta.
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:13:08 AM): But this one's different since I can see here that your Alta have an updated firmware.
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:13:43 AM): Most of the issue occurs when performing an update and our engineers are actually aware of the issue right now.
Me (3/21/2017, 11:14:03 AM): Oh ok, that makes sense.
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:14:03 AM): I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, Michael.
Me (3/21/2017, 11:14:38 AM): They should put that on the forum somewhere so that customers are aware of this.
Me (3/21/2017, 11:14:56 AM): But thank you for clarifying
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:15:12 AM): Oh, sorry, just to clarify this. The issue I've mentioned is the issue about updating the tracker's firmware.
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:15:38 AM): But no worries, I will take note of your case and submit it so our engineers can also check this specific issue.
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:16:16 AM): I appreciate as well that you've let us know about this and once again, my sincere apology for the great inconvenience, Michael.
Me (3/21/2017, 11:16:33 AM): No worries.
Ela (3/21/2017, 11:16:55 AM): Thank you! I really hope that with your replacement Alta, the issue will not occur and so you can go and achieve your goal with us.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I got a Fitbit Alta for Mother's Day and I used to have a Fitbit 2. I deleted the Fitbit 2 and installed the Alta. I went through all the process of installing it and it gave me a 4 digit code which I entered. It then said searching and it might take up to 10 mins but nothing happening after an hour and my Fitbit won't turn on now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

this worked for me! thanks so much! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. This is my first time on this site as well. How do I get an answer?

Best Answer
0 Votes