Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta randomly shutting off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I searched through postings and don't see one answer that solved this problem. My Alta is about two years old and suddenly this month has started shutting down without warning. Doesn't matter if the battery is fully charged or half full, just shuts off. I have reset it & I've cleaned it. I have an iPhone 6.

As I read through the forum I see this has been an ongoing problem since the beginning of the year. Has anyone at Fitbit found out why? I also see that it's being recommended to purchase a new one. Why would I buy another one if the problem hasn't been solved. Two years isn't a long time, was working perfectly until July. Anyone have any other suggestions? 

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109
I don’t think going on vacation is the reason for it turning off because that is exactly what mine has been doing and it’s only a year old too! Very frustrating!  Suddenly though, my Alta has been working for a full day this week! Weird!

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer

Please let me know too.

@Karebear19777 wrote:

I am having this same problem with my Alta! I have to plug it in to get the display to work again. If you find out a fix let me know please and thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly the same issue with mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly the same issues with mine. It started back working properly for a day or two so I thought that it was only a glitch with my Fitbit Alta. 2.2 years. Working with hopefully getting an effective replacement.
@SunsetRunner wrote:

I've been having the same issue over the past couple weeks. I reverted to using an old fitbit while I was on vacation, so I imagine the battery in my Alta died within the time I was gone. I recharged my Alta upon my return, and within a couple days I noticed the Alta was randomly shutting off despite the battery being full. When I plug the Alta back in, it will show the time at which the Alta shutdown - I have to restart it and then sync it with my Fitbit app for the Alta to reset its time to the correct time. The Alta has shutdown randomly multiple times a day - while I'm at work and even while I'm sleeping. It's getting really annoying that it's happening more frequently. I've had to start bringing my fitbit charger to work with me so I can reset it whenever it shuts off. I didn't have this problem prior to going on my vacation - I've had the Alta for about a year. I always charged it before it fully lost power in that year, so I don't know if the Alta fully losing power while I was on vacation had something to do with it, or if there is a flaw for this model since it seems to be happening to a lot of people.

I had issues with my old fitbit (Fitbit Flex 2) failing to sync with the Fitbit app after about a year of use, so I'm just starting to assume that the Fitbits aren't made to perform well after a year of continuous use.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit is less then a year old I  am having the same problem with it shutting off before battery is low . Main thing also is I still am not receiving readout on messages..very disappointing !!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got mine last Christmas, and as of May, it randomly turns off a few hours after unplugging it, so I don’t have an accurate step count or of how many hours I slept. I would really like to give the Alta another try, but constantly having to check if it’s working is frustrating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, thank you for participating in the forums. I am sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks to all for the efforts to resolve the issue, sharing your experiences and feedback. If after following the steps to restart the tracker the issue persists, I recommend contacting our Customer Support team. They will do their best to help you and provide the options according to the Fitbit Warranty

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I understand that this can be very frustrating, our team is always working on improving our devices and user experiences, and your comments are always welcome.

I'll be around if you need further assistance.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Your customer support team" is pathetic. I have deleted my Fitbit account and most certainly not be purchasing any of your merchandise in the near future. Unless this company acknowledges that there is a problem with the Alta and reaches out to ALL of us who have one, I have no desire to wear one of your products. Have you even read this string of complaints? There is a serious flaw in your product, one that Fitbit continues to ignore and try to put the blame on us consumers. I will continue to NOT recommend your product. No amount of % off will ever entice me to buy. The way Fitbit has handled this problem is sad. 

Best Answer

Did you get an answer? I’m experiencing almost the same thing. 

Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Check the previous answer from Fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Copying the response from the moderator:
LiliyaFitbit (Moderator) posted a new reply in
Alta randomly shutting off

on 08-19-2019 16:35 [image: Fitbit]

Hello all, thank you for participating in the forums. I am sorry for the
delayed reply.

Thanks to all for the efforts to resolve the issue, sharing your
experiences and feedback. If after following the steps to restart the
trackertheissue persists, I recommend contacting our Customer Support
team. They will do
their best to help you and provide the options according to the Fitbit
Warranty .

I appreciate everyone's feedback, I understand that this can be very
frustrating, our team is always working on improving our devices and user
experiences, and your comments are always welcome.

I'll be around if you need further assistance.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I also have two of them and not that old that randomly turn off! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta had stopped randomly shutting off for between 36-48hrs. I ended up restarting my Alta and then leaving it plugged in to fully charge on Saturday. I wore it all day Sunday without issue, plugged it back in to charge overnight, and then I was able to wear my Alta all day Monday, overnight Monday, and all day Tuesday. My Alta decided to shut off a little after 1am Tuesday, so it didn't log any sleep tracking info after that. I reset my Alta a few minutes ago, and I'm recharging it as much as possible before heading to work. 

It seems I can keep it alive during the day if I recharge it to full battery at night. Sadly, this means I can't track my sleep cycles. This is quite ridiculous seeing as I was able to get six days of 24hr use on a single battery charge prior to July, and now my Alta will shut down within 48hrs regardless of the battery being more than half charged. If I restart my Alta without also fully charging it, it just seems to die again shortly after. 

Honestly, with the app connectivity issues I've had with both my Flex2 and my Alta (the app doesn't recognize the Fitbit when I try to sync it half the time), I'm thinking of switching brands altogether. The only reason I tried Fitbit was because I got them as incentive "gifts" for participating in my health insurance's health screenings. Decent use for "free" gifts, but if I paid out of pocket for these products, I'd be disappointed with the limited one year lifespan before they start to glitch.

Best Answer

My Alta also randomly shuts off, when it is fully or nearly fully charged. I have also re-set it many times. It was given to me as a gift in February of this year, and I do know it was purchased refurbished, but it started doing randomly shutting down only a month or so into my use with it, very disappointing. Hoping there is a resolution to this issue... 

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem, Fitbit sent me a replacement two months ago because mine would not come on now it just randomly shuts off. I have to put it on the charger to get it back on also it’s not tracking my exercises accurately 

Best Answer

Mine does also. Got replaced one and it’s worse. Shuts off when my phone rings. They are trouble shooting now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This keeps happening to my Alta. It’s the second one I’ve had, it’s new and it keeps shutting off totally. I had no problems with my first that I had for two years. I’ve tried restarts and cleaning it. After restarts or just plugging it into the usb it will come back on again. The Alta doesn’t register the steps I might have taken since it went off 

Best Answer
Mine was also doing that and I texted in Fitbit site with tech. They asked
me to send it in for battery problem. I got a different one back that now
shuts off when battery gets around 75% every time iPhone rings. Have a new
complaint in now.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too. It was great until a couple of months ago and I have used Fitbit for years. Now getting frustrated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Exactly...works one day and randomly turns off in the middle of the day!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer