Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta randomly shutting off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I searched through postings and don't see one answer that solved this problem. My Alta is about two years old and suddenly this month has started shutting down without warning. Doesn't matter if the battery is fully charged or half full, just shuts off. I have reset it & I've cleaned it. I have an iPhone 6.

As I read through the forum I see this has been an ongoing problem since the beginning of the year. Has anyone at Fitbit found out why? I also see that it's being recommended to purchase a new one. Why would I buy another one if the problem hasn't been solved. Two years isn't a long time, was working perfectly until July. Anyone have any other suggestions? 

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109
I have been having problems for 2 days. No answers from Fitbit. I have 2 Alta's so when I had problems I originally thought is was a problem with the battery. I do not believe this is the case any longer. Problem exists on my other Fitbit Alta as well. The New Alta has never been used. IMHO this is not an Alta owner's problem. This is a Fitbit problem and they have not been forthcoming. They need to make it right or their customers will just go away. There is absolutely no reason a device like this should be good for at least 5 years unless everyone goes home at night and hits it with a sledge hammer.
Best Answer

UPDATE!!  I contacted Fit Bit via phone. As I expected,no solution, no fix, no replacement. They offered me a 25% discount for 30 days towards purchase of a new one. I don’t think so...why would I buy another product from them when the first one obviously was malfunctioning? Waste of money...so long FitBit!

Best Answer

My Alta also began randomly shutting off. I like the low profile Alta but am so sad that this obviously is an Alta issue that I didn’t know about 😔

Best Answer

Just to let all know. Fitbit refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem with the Alta. I have received numerous emails from at least four different customer service agents via Fitbit asking me to verify purchase, check my battery...it's annoying. I am surmising that there is a serious lack of communication within this company. 

They offered me 40% off an Ionic, which I don't want it's to **ahem** big for my wrist, or 25% any other Fitbit product. HA!!  Like I would purchase anything from them EVER again!!  At least Apple stands behind their products, they could learn a lesson from them

The Fitbit gods that be may delete this response before too many can see it but they can't delete my Facebook posts. Too bad, this was once a great company, seems they are just as greedy as the rest of them.

I'm done....

Best Answer

Same issue and mine is two months old. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have 2altas and both have stopped charging1was a year old the other 6mth old all I was advised to do was buy another with a discount it appears to be happening to a lot of people Alta don understand what’s going on with the things anybody any advice thanks

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing it’s only 2 months old! I can’t find answers either! A lot of people with the same problem but no solutions... ARRG!!😡🤯

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a dispute going on at the mo all ime getting isorry it’s happening do you want to continue with it I say yes of course then they say get back to you in a couple of days when they do get back they ask the same question
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit Alta has been doing this for the past 2-3 weeks...I purchased it in April 2019.  Can it be returned and replaced?

Best Answer
0 Votes
You would need to contact them. There is a year warranty I believe. Hope you have your receipt.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi the Fitbit came actually from them when the one I bought stopped charging I have given up now I have sent for one from from amason for £20 looks exactly like Fitbit if it breaks ime only loosing £20

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have 2 fitbit Alta's.  One basically never used both out of warranty.  Both crash.  Screen blank.  I think this is a Fitbit problem and they should solve the issue.  I like the fitbit alta.  Had a Versa and gave it away.  Doesn't look like their doing to well as a company.

fitbit.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got mine in February. I have done everything as well. I really think there is an Alta issue. My Alta shuts off very randomly...several times a day. Please open a case for me as well!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new to the forums, but I am having the same issue.  I got mine in January and this problem started last week.  Since I was under the 1 year warranty they sent me a new one, but now after reading these posts, I'm guessing it will happen to the new one too.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Can’t be shaw on that but I think quite possible I told them if the things are only going to last a year then they should be a hell f a lot cheaper weren’t very happy at that
Good luck
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am on my third and all three have had the same issue...after several months, the random turn off starts and I get super frustrated.  Last time I tried to work with support, sounds like I got the same support everyone else has...none.  I did take the offer for a new one and now - one year later, this one is having the same problems.  I told my husband...at this point I could have bought an Apple watch and had no issues.  That's where I am headed...I have spent too much money on a product that doesn't work and they won't stand behind.  I started with the One and really loved it...they eventually were pushing me to move to the Alta (a while ago) and here I am.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having exactly the same issue.

Best Answer

I have the same problem...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DFairch wrote:

I'm new to the forums, but I am having the same issue.  I got mine in January and this problem started last week.  Since I was under the 1 year warranty they sent me a new one, but now after reading these posts, I'm guessing it will happen to the new one too.

Oh boy did I call this--- I just didn't expect it to happen so fast.  I got my new Alta yesterday, it was on the charger until 8pm, I put it on, went to bed, and by 8am this morning the screen was non responsive----  I haven't even had this replacement a day, and it's not working.  Fitbit is going to get an earful from me tonight!!

Best Answer

I've been having the same issue over the past couple weeks. I reverted to using an old fitbit while I was on vacation, so I imagine the battery in my Alta died within the time I was gone. I recharged my Alta upon my return, and within a couple days I noticed the Alta was randomly shutting off despite the battery being full. When I plug the Alta back in, it will show the time at which the Alta shutdown - I have to restart it and then sync it with my Fitbit app for the Alta to reset its time to the correct time. The Alta has shutdown randomly multiple times a day - while I'm at work and even while I'm sleeping. It's getting really annoying that it's happening more frequently. I've had to start bringing my fitbit charger to work with me so I can reset it whenever it shuts off. I didn't have this problem prior to going on my vacation - I've had the Alta for about a year. I always charged it before it fully lost power in that year, so I don't know if the Alta fully losing power while I was on vacation had something to do with it, or if there is a flaw for this model since it seems to be happening to a lot of people.

I had issues with my old fitbit (Fitbit Flex 2) failing to sync with the Fitbit app after about a year of use, so I'm just starting to assume that the Fitbits aren't made to perform well after a year of continuous use.

Best Answer