Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta shutting off

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Is anyone else having issues with their Alta randomly shutting off and having to be plugged in to restart? I've had mine since Friday and have had to do it twice. Each time it's happened the battery still says it's full or mostly full. I tried calling the helpline but all I was being told to do was reset and sync. Both of which I've already done.
Best Answer
133 REPLIES 133

I tried various LiPo and Li-ion batteries (much larger than the watch itself, charged up to 4.2v) in place of the OEM one, and still same thing. You mean I should try 5v (like from a USB power supply)? Since I don't think I can make it any worse (I think the battery is still okay, or powered some LEDs for awhile and discharged down to 3.2v and charged back up to 4.2v) might try just to have something to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sounds like a connection issue between the battery and the watch🤔
Best Answer
0 Votes

My altas are working fine when powered by 4.8v (4.6v also works, but i didnt test it for more that few hours).

The max voltage i've tried is 5.6v (no more that few minutes, actually). Alta surivied it and still works fine.

The problem with batteries is that they are designed to give less that 4v and can not hold voltage above 4.2v for a longer time. So You need to use 6v battery with power stabilizing (LM based, for example) and its own chargener. Or Use 4 AA rechargeble batteries 🙂

About replacing batteries - i've tried to use new original battery from friend new alta, and my altas were not working with it. Also his new working alta is working fine with mine old batteries.

And yes, that actually do sell replacement... trackers! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yea, this is ridiculous.  It is obvious Fitbit has full intention to just intentionally brick their older devices to get you to upgrade.

I picked up a Garmin Vivosmart 4 today since it is basically the same size as the Alta.

WOW.  The Garmin Connect App, so much better than fitbit.  The device itself is way better as well.  It actually shows me the weather on the home screen.

Anyway, done with fitbit and not looking back.

Stop wasting your money on them people.  There are better options.

Best Answer

I have followed the instructions for restart several times. It keeps shutting off with battery life still at 75%. Getting any technical support from Alta is zero to none. Aggravating to have spent money on such a useless product. People should be compensated somehow. Ridiculous!

sadly the "Best Answer" is useless. Followed instructions but is still shutting down. Support team?? Also useless. Conclusion? Product USELESS...waste of money.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

mine started to shut when the charge is at about 50% and it keeps shutting down. At this point it's shutting down at about 80% very frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

it’s been happening to me for the past week & im getting real frustrated! I’ve done everything they say to fix it & nothing fixes it 😡

Best Answer
0 Votes
I dropped mine in the river 😆
Best Answer
0 Votes

hi there i have the same issue as you but mine keeps shutting off when i reach my step goal of 10,000 steps.

fortunately i found this video and this has helped me and it has been fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZoQrhFjd_o

i dont know if this will help you but it has worked for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So dissappointed in Fitbit now! Out of warranty so they only offer discount on newer, more expensive models. This is my 4th fitbit and love this Alta, and have invested in several bands and chargers. So if their software upgrade broke it, then why should I buy another from them? They'll just out-mode it whenever they want! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m sorry to say this on the Fitbit community.. but shorty after my issues with my Fitbit I bought an Apple Watch and have never been happier. My mom has stuck with her Fitbit and haS been through at least 3 in the time I’ve had my Apple Watch. I loved my Fitbit when I had it and it worked... but they seem to crash and burn way to quickly

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there another fix that anyone may know about. I have contacted customer support and performed the reset 100 times already with the same results. This has been an issue since day one to the point I just tossed it aside because I was always told reset it. The best Fitbit is willing to do is a 35% off coupon. I feel with this problem that is clearly known they can do better. They rather me switch to a competitor an not have food feedback over $100 product. Pretty disappointed. 

Best Answer

I think I've fixed mine - I had the same issue with my Fitbit Alta not long after I got it months ago. I got it back out and started wearing it last week. It shut off the very first night just before the 10,000 step mark and then every evening after. One night I had to plug it in probably seven or eight times to get it to count those last 100 steps. I restarted it multiple times with no results. Finally, remembering that it also seemed to be locking up my phone, I uninstalled the app from my phone and reinstalled it. It has worked great the last three days. I'm thinking it might be a communication issue between the watch and the phone. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having the same issues and i have had my fit bit for the last 4 years . i dont know if its a defect with the device or not cause everyone seems to have the same issue. i have done many resets and the same issue . Its fully charged and synced and as soon as i put it on it shuts off and i touch the screen and nothing comes on until i put it back on the charger. 

Best Answer
0 Votes