Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta won't turn on or charge, restart isn't working.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Alta for about three or four months now. I wore it every day up until about 3 weeks ago, I took it off and just left it in a drawer (wanted to take a break from wearing it for a little while). Obviously in that time I bet the battery is completely drained. Yesterday I plugged my fitbit into my laptop with the charger and it wouldn't vibrate or give any indication that it was charging. I left it for 3-4 hours and still when i came back to it, nothing happened. I tap it and the screen doesn't light up, the charger is still unresponsive if I clip it and unclip it, and I've tried a restart several times between yesterday and today. The charger is clean and so are the contacts on the fitbit, and I've even left it plugged in a few more hours today.

My guess is either the fitbit is dead for good or the charger is broken. Not sure if there's anything else I can do other than contact customer support?

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34

Hey there @jbarnaby a warm welcome to the Community! Woman Wink Thanks for letting me know what you have tried to troubleshoot your Alta. Some other factors can cause your battery to stop charging:

• Faulty charging sources (USB port or plug)—Try a different USB port or UL-certified wall charger. Do not use a USB hub.
  • Tracker isn’t properly connected to the charger—Try reconnecting your tracker to the charging cable, make sure the charging contacts are clipped into the charging cable. You can make sure of this by checking this tips

Give them a try and let me know how it goes! 

Retired ModeratorCindy | Community Moderator

Was this what you were looking for? Vote for it and mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

Ive had this same issue and its still not working. Ive tried diff, computers, and ports. ive also diconnected and reconnected the fiitbit but still no power. Ive been "resetting it" all day and it has not once turned on, 

Best Answer

@soniaraquel Thanks for joining us and welcome to our Fitbit Community! Seems odd that even though you have restarted your Alta many times, it doesn't turn on. Try cleaning the contacts of your tracker and charger with a cotton swab and a little bit of alcohol. After this restart your tracker just one more time and check out if it turns on.

If the workaround above doesn't bring your tracker back to life, I recommend contacting our Customer Support team so they can investigate further and get you back on track.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ive had the same issues, did yours ever work? 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community @Kate3064! By any chance did you try the tips that @CindyFitbit shared on her post?  If so I recommend contacting the Support Team and let them know the steps you've tried so far in order to expedite things. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello.
I've done everything you've suggested and it's still not working.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@soniaraquel Thanks for getting back! Since you have tried all the suggested tips and your Alta is still unresponsive, my best advice is to contact our Support team. I'm pretty sure they'll provide a solution for you.

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good morning, 

It appears that my fitbit Alta will charge, however will only hold a charge for less than 1 hour. The battery bar indicated this morning that it was full, however by 9.30 it no longer worked by either movement or by tapping the screen. And as it has no power I cannot link with Bluetooth.

Any suggestions 

Thank you 

mld1404

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same issues! I wore mine for a month, and then it wouldn't charge at all. I tried cleaning it, changing ports, restarting it, everything! I contacted support who gladly sent me a replacement piece! I was thrilled! It has been 3 or 4 weeks since using the new one and now THIS ONE doesn't charge either!! I've cleaned it, restarted it, changed ports and everything! I'm starting to think it's a product issue OR it could be water damage... the only thing I ever do with it on is dishes... DISHES! They say that it's shower proof so doing dishes should not ruin it! I'm currently soaking it in rice for a day to see if that will help but I'm honestly thinking about switching trackers.... 😞 

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same issue - it is completely dead - and I've tried all the different suggestions. Only used it for about two months! I've contacted customer service and hope for a solution.

Best Answer

Same problem here , in fact the battery sign would show for a moment but would go dead shortly after. After I tried to restart now alra is completely dead won't show battery or anything. 

Best Answer

I am so mad I sorts messed up I swam in the pool 3 times with my fitbit on for like 50 seconds and last time I did it was 2 days and I am in palm dessert and left it in the bag . I took it out maybe 2 hours later and when I turned on my fitbit alta it is not working !!!!!!!! Somebody help fast.

Help?

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why would it seem odd that it isn't working after restarting? It seems to be a common issue after searching for posts on this. My new one just arrived today....will not charge. So disappointed in fitbit. Have to send it back and it takes up to ten days for a new one to be shipped or a refund. I am not just disappointed, I am angry.

Best Answer

Mine is having exactly the same problem, suddenly stopped charging and died- doesn't vibrate when plugged in and gets extremely hot very quickly when plugged in. Won't switch on at all. No idea why- contacted customer support but no reply yet.

Best Answer
Yes,I understand. .
I returned mine.
Best Answer
Mine is brand new. Wouldn't charge right out of the box. Looking at all the threads, it is clear this is a common issue. My question is why, if they are shipping directly from Fitbit, wouldn't they make sure it worked, considering the history of the issue. That being said, I am going to let them send me a new one....but I am really annoyed. I love Fitbit products....when they work! lol
Best Answer

I received my Alta from Fitbit when my Charge stopped working after about 3 months. The Alta lasted for about 7 months then died in the same way you are describing except for me it was from one day to the next, it ran out of battery overnight and then never would charge again. 2 Fitbits in less than a year? There are obvious issues with these fitness trackers. 

Best Answer
I am now on my 3rd i had two in a row that didnt charge and got very hot to touch!

They have a wonderful customer service though!! I was happy that they sorted me out again.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems I should have researched this thread before purchasing my Alta in November of 2018. It's now February of 2019 and I'm having the same issues...

I did try restarting the Fitbit through my computer, it's charging, but about an hour later, I can't tap the screen, nothing comes alive. And when I try and sync it, it's constantly "Looking" for it.

So obviously FITBIT hasn't made any changes with the technology in the last 2 years to make them better?

Best Answer