Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta won't turn on unless is plugged in the charger.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got my Alta from a friend as a gift on June 17. It had been working perfectly until last night. It completely shut off. I plugged into charger and it became extremely hot. The next morning, it still won't come on unless I hook onto charger (battery shows full) so it's not dead. My charger was misplaced so I'm using a friends and there's no button to reset it. I literally have only owned it for 2 days! Somebody help. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello and welcome to the forums @GolfGirl1998

Unfortunately, there is no other way to restart your Alta without the original Fitbit charger unit. Since you just got the Alta, the charger must be somewhere in your home. See if you can find it?

How long did you have it on the charger unit? It's not recommended to leave it on all night.

You can learn more about restarting here - click

Let us know what happens.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

Hello and welcome to the forums @GolfGirl1998

Unfortunately, there is no other way to restart your Alta without the original Fitbit charger unit. Since you just got the Alta, the charger must be somewhere in your home. See if you can find it?

How long did you have it on the charger unit? It's not recommended to leave it on all night.

You can learn more about restarting here - click

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Melhammons15  what exactly is happening with your Fitbit?

If it's getting hot, get with customer support at this link - click  There is a phone number for the USA, an online chat option and web based email for those out of the area.

Best Answer

Hi there im having the same issue with my fitbit. My original fitbit charger broke when my kids stood on it. So I had to purchase a new one. Unfortunately it's not a fitbit brand charge but it's very similar charger. 

It has been charging well up until a few days ago where my watch does not turn on at all. The only way the watch will work is when it is plugged into the computer other than that it will not turn on at touch or any other way. I've had this watch since Dec 2016. Any advice on how to remedy thss issue as I would like to continue using my fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JMarino  you need to do a restart of your Fitbit, which requires that you have an authentic Fitbit charger unit. You can buy one at a local retailer (Target, Staples, Walmart, Best Buy, etc) or directly from Fitbit.com

To learn how to restart your device, click here.

Best Answer

Hi there, 

I have brought a fitbit charger with the start button and still unable to restart or use the fitbit. I have tried pushing the button 3 times but still no luck. I have tried several times within the last 2 hours but no luck. Any suggestions ?? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're within the one year warranty and it was purchased from an authorized retailer, contact customer support at this link - click

There is a phone number for the USA, an online chat option and web based email for those out of the area.

Keep us informed.

Best Answer
Thanks for that. Fitbit where really useful and actually sent out a new one for me, which to this day still works. I've since upgraded but my husband now uses the alta. No issues with usage at all. To date of course.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

Hi @JMarino

Thanks for the update. I hope you and your husband are enjoying your devices.

Best Answer

I have the same problem, I restarted it but it does not help. What else can I do? Everyone I ask keeps telling me to restart it but it does not help.

Best Answer

Hi again @Skylar07 

You using Android, too? Might be you need to restart it a few times and make sure your phone is compatible with the device. Let us know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the original charger, it is charged, it works when it is charging (giving me info and the screen works) as soon as I take it off charge it does not display.

I have tried to restart it about 7 times, to no effect

Best Answer

Hi @NZuser9  the quick view feature means you don't see the screen all the time. When you twist your wrist, you see it. Could this be the case for you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have Fitbit Alta with the original charger, it is charged. It works when it is charging (giving me info and the screen works) but as soon as I take it off charge it does not display anything and wont turn on at all.
I have tried to restart it numerous times using the 3 button technique with no effect. Any ideas?

Best Answer

I am pretty sure the NZ person is having the same issue as me, it just will not turn on no matter what I try, its worked for several years well, then all of a sudden nothing. 

Best Answer

Hi @Nazz0  sometimes these devices die. Try restarting it a few more times to see if you get any spark of life from it.My Blaze worked fine for about two years and one day it simply didn't respond to being charged or anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes