Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t see display outside on Alta HR

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is there any way to see the Alta HR display when you are outside?  Device is useless outside even as a watch.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Best results are finding a shady spot or cupping your hand around it. It is difficult to see outside.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
29 REPLIES 29

Best results are finding a shady spot or cupping your hand around it. It is difficult to see outside.

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally agree- display is useless outside.  I use it as a watch also, and need to be able to see display outside for my job during recess.  Is the problem just with the Alta or all Fitbit devices?  I just got mine for Christmas. 

Best Answer

Can see display outside, so product not really much use (even cuping my hand around it).  Very disappointed as my previous Fitbit was absolutely clear and readable when outside.

Best Answer

What if that doesn’t work? I wasn’t able to see it with my hand cupped over the display either. I can’t I’ll easily see the display with my charge 2. 

Best Answer

@Stocker  If you still cant see the display you will have to wait until you get somewhere dark enough to see it. You cant adjust the brightness - there is no setting for that

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, I ended up sending it back and keeping the Charge 2 which I can see in the bright sunlight.

Best Answer

Finding a shady spot is not a solution as it can not be applied in all situations. It's equivalent to jump starting a car with a bad starter . 

Best Answer

Couldn't agree more with Mols! I just received a replacement Alta HR for a defective one I bought less than 1 year ago. That display was much brighter and perfectly visible. I don't know what they did but it's incredibly frustrating and, in my opinion, it renders this Alta HR pretty useless. I thought there was something in the settings, like a dim mode, when it arrived and went on this forum to find a solution. I cannot fathom that going inside, to a shady spot, or cupping your hand over a device is any kind of solution!! Yeah, just go inside from wherever you may be, like the beach or a park, or hunch over, drape a towel over your head, or maybe find someone with an umbrella, turn it to just the right angle, and if you're far-sighted, grab a magnifying glass, easy-peasy! LOL, SERIOUSLY?!?!

But hey, thanks Fitbit for spending time, energy, $ on "solving" being able to track my menstrual cycles. I'm so glad I can do that on my Fitbit...that I cannot read...

Best Answer

Shade ...nope. doesnt work

Cupping hands....doesnt work. 

This is an exercise instrument/watch.

Was it designed to be used from the couch?

Best Answer

No..have to wait? You are not serious? Im a school teacher.  I  need to be able to see time anywhere on campus.  You do not have a viable solution

Best Answer

Which is really ridiculous to not be able to see the display outside. Why is anyone buying this product?!??

Best Answer

Doesn't work. The problem seems different from the Fitbit not bright enough and has something to do with how the glass responds to sunlight. When I use my polarized sunglasses and rotate them over the Fitbit I can see the display on specific angles but not on others. Yes, completely useless outside!

Best Answer

I find that doesn't help either

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find Meeting of Alta HR of little use as I cannot see the dial in daylight. I use it as a fitness tool to see my heart rate while power walking. I try to keep my heart beat at a fixed rate but I must revert to the old way of counting my pulse which is not accurate. My Fitbit meets all my requirements bu is of no use as I can't read the dial in daylight. What can the Fitbit people do for me in this case. I thought of upgrading but having regard to the money I spent on this I cannot trust Fitbit again. I will have to look at alternatives in the market. Has anybody found a solution to date?

Best Answer

The Charge 3 and Versa 2 both have adjustable brightness and vibration levels, so you can read the display outdoors in sunlight, something the Alta HR couldn't do.  You can adjust the screen to dim on the Charge 3 but not off, and the green lights are still pretty bright at night. The Versa 3 can be set to not turn on automatically when you move your wrist but can be toggled on if you do want to check the time, and the face is sufficiently sized so that you rarely notice the green lights.  I returned the Charge 3 and kept the Versa 2, which I am really loving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even coupling your hand around the screen outside does not work I do it all the time to no avail

Best Answer
0 Votes

I notice there are many others with the same problem particularly now assert are approaching the bright days of summer. As I couldn’t wait without a timepiece I purchased a Versa 2 and am delighted with it. As I have now spent over €400 on both watches I appeal to the Fitbit to make some gesture towards the cost which arises due to them having a substandard product on the market

Best Answer
Yeah if you can afford the versa I can’t

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Right now, I’m sitting in a dark room with only a dim lamp on. I can’t make out any of the numbers on my Alta HR display. I can faintly see the symbol at the top of each screen (footprint, heart, etc), but not the numbers. I used to be able to read it fine. I wonder if the display does slowly over time?

Best Answer