Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Mine also does not clasp easily the pushing is not enough.

Best Answer
You need to put something firm, I use 2 or 3 small membership cards, like from a grocery store, made for a keychain, between the underside of my wrist and line the band along the 2 holes you want to use and press into it firmly. It does work for me.
Also, it gets easier with time. I am afraid to use oil etc since I do not want to lose it.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

My son just got me an Alta as a gift.  I've tried several of the solutions that were mentioned and am still having great difficulty clasping it onto my wrist  (that is when I can actually get it to clasp).  After seeing all of the posts about the difficulty in clasping the Alta onto your wrist, it is incredulous to me that Fitbit hasn't redesigned it so that it is actually usable.  Plus, it should work as expected out of the box - one should not have to Google solutions that work for some and not for others.  very disappointed in the flawed design!

My two cents.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

totally agree. very disappointing considering the price. I still struggle with mine, end up pulling hairs on my arm, digging into my skin, oil all over the place (as per a suggested solution) . come on fit it get professional, not Mackey mouse?

Best Answer
Hello... I understand your problem... I don't work for Amazon, but they actually have bands for the Alta that buckle like a watch band... check it out! I love my Alta!!!! bought lots of different bands for mine...Check it out, not that expensive.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@BobShelby @Deniselt Sorry to hear about the difficulty that you've experienced with clasping the Alta. I appreciate the feedback and will make sure to pass it along to our design team. If you're still experiencing issues with clasping the Alta I recommend checking out our Tory Burch, Public School, or Simply Vera accessories as alternatives.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

My point exactly...why doesn't Fitbit change this horrible clasp that everyone struggles with?

Judy

Sent from my iPad

Moderator edit: Format. 

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit are the alternatives that you mentioned complimentary alternatives, or do I need to purchase them?  If I need to purchase them to replace a design flawed clasp, then Fitbit really does not understand or care about their customers.  Fitbit should resolve the problem with the current clasp rather than suggesting that their customers buy a new one for a brand new Fitbit.

Best Answer

Li5aMarie... I am having the same issue. My Alta has fallen off several times today. There's no way I can wear it now. So frustrated rifht now!!!

Best Answer
Stretch the holes out with one of those rat tail combs or just use anything like a small makeup brush handle. The rubber the band is made of will stretch out if you do it just before you put it on.

Sent from Shelley
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there @Savysam@BobShelby@JudyNP! Glad to see you around in the Community. And welcome @BashamB! Hope you have a great time. Cat Wink

Thank you very much for all your feedback. This is super important for us, so I'll make sure to pass ir along. Also, thanks to @Savysam for the great tip!

@BobShelby, the accessories mentioned in Erick's post are purchased separately. The Alta tracker includes an elastometer band only, so the leather bands, metal bracelets and the Designer Collection bands are sold separately. 

@BashamB in your case, my best recommendation is to contact our Customer Support team and explain the situation to them. I'm sure they will be able to assist you further with this one. 

I'll be around! Let me know if you have any further questions. Robot Very Happy

Annie| Community Moderator

Was my answer helpful? Awesome! Let's help our fellow Fitbitters by marking this as a solution, and vote up! 😄

Best Answer

Not impossible to put the Alta on, but still ridiculously hard. I struggle putting it on my wife's wrist.

I liked the suggestion of using the clasp release points where it meets the bit itself and will try that. If that doesn't work, I'm not going to indulge (the very valid) workarounds, I'll just return the Alta.

Best Answer
I just took my bands off and switched sides. I've had my Alta since
Thanksgiving and had the same trouble but now very little to no trouble
with clasping at all.
Best Answer

The following iw what I wrote to fitbit in response to their request for feedback on this issue.

It appears many people do not like the current wrist strap on the alta model. it is all very well giving "tricks" to overcome the problem but this is fitbits problem and they should find a permanent and "Professional solution". Meanwhile I think  purchasers would be warned of the problem before they purchase. This is not the way you would expect an honest and reputable company too handle the problem.

Fitbit you have a realy good product why spoil it with a silly thing like a faulty strap?

Moderator edit: Format.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Thanks for joining us in this thread and welcome to our Fitbit Community! I really appreciate your feedback regarding the Alta's wristband. This helps us to keep improving our products and services.

Let me know how if more help is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm going to call Fitbit this morning and explain my issue to them. The clasps on the side is what my issue is. They fall right off the Tracker. I do wear it daily, with the exception of when I'm in the shower, bathing my kids and/or doing dishes. Definitely shouldn't be doing this. I'll update after I speak to them

Sent from my iPhone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Juan,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I am trying your suggestions.  It hurts a lot still to put on. I like how fitbit charge HR 2 is designed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Shilpa71 Thanks for getting back! I appreciate your interest in our Fitbit Charge 2. If you are still having issues with your Fitbit Alta, and you bought it from our Fitbit store, I recommend contacting our Customer Support team so they can review your case and start a return process in case your tracker is still within the return window, if you want a refund in order to get the Charge 2 instead.

Keep me posted if more help is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

UPDATE: I did a 'Live Chat' this morning with Fitbit and explained my issue. Because I was within the one year warranty, they had no problem ordering me another one at no cost to me. And the agent was so extremely helpful and personable. Made a frustrating situation so much easier. 🙂

Best Answer
They are not always so helpful!! They will treat the same issue many different ways.
Best Answer
0 Votes