Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Just got my Alta (replacing my Charge which was separating from the band).

As other users have reported, the band is extremely hard to clasp.

A user suggested clasping it while off your wrist, then using the hooks that allow you to change bands, to secure it on and take it off.

Is there any reason not to do this?

Or should I keep working the holes and pins to loosen them up?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely going to try the olive oil and will let the group know how it works!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think this is the best way to put the Alta on your wrist - using the mechanism for changing the band instead of trying to get the two little thingies in the little holes. I have also purchased a couple of straps with buckle clasps. That may be my best bet! I'm so happy to know I'm not the only one with this annoying issue.

Best Answer

Thanks!

*Let not the needy, O Lord, be forgotten; nor the hope of the poor be taken
away.*

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta has fallen off   twice already , so I finally put 2 small black o rings on the band over the silver clasp, and that is doing the job , it has not fallen off since. .That Alta strap is  a poor design at best. 

Best Answer

Finally! chanced upon the tip to dab with olive oil to 'snap on' the spikes.  I didnt want to use my expensive olive oil so I decided to try with the cheap vegetable cooking oil that I have. It works !  thankfully ... cos otherwise I was ready to fling it out the window cos like zoie47 said, the info doesnt flash so easily just by tapping. Not responsive.  I have to flick my wrist every time and inhale and exhale as calmly as I can before Im rewarded with the time info on the display.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just found after market Alta bands on Amazon. They have conventional  watch type band buckles. Has anyone tried these? They are very affordable, under $20. I may try one, much cheaper than having my Alta fall off for the 4th time! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have already ordered mine as well. Can't wait to get it as I can't even
wear mine for fear of losing a second one. Not at all impressed with Fitbit
for their response to this issue 😞
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes they work very well. I bought 5 for $14 in several colors 

Best Answer
It is so much easier to clasp it this way. I have posted pictures on this thread. That's how I put it on every time and it takes seconds and secure.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried some bands with the watch clasp but found them uncomfortable and balky. I realized I had purchased I'd purchased one-size-fits-all ones and they are just too big for my wrist. I returned them and considered ordering different bands that came in an actual size small. In the meantime I'lm getting used to removing and revckasping the original Alta bands via the switch band spot.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a heck of a time with fastening the band as well. I have severe arthritis and use mine to be sure I'm moving. As for the treadmill, I stick mine in. My sock, partially around my ankle (unfastened of course, since it won't fasten around ankle) that will count my steps and counts my recumbent bike as well.

Best Answer

As mentioned before if you put a small drop of olive oil/ veg oil on prongs it works very well

Best Answer

I haven't found the oil to work. Spend the money and buy the after market bands. Fitbit will not step up to fix the issue. But for 10 it's better than losing the band or not being able to use it at all

Best Answer

I have just bought a buckle band from Amazon and it's perfect!  I had to stop wearing my alta fitbit because I had so much pain in my wrist and I had to get someone else to do it up for me.  I really wish I'd done this earlier.

Best Answer

Has anybody with small wrists found a clasp band that isn't too big? Brand name? Thanks!

Best Answer

I have a small wrist and have purchased several clasp type bands from Amazon. My only word of warning is this: Buy where you have a choice of sizes. I have found that the "one size fits all" leaves me with a band I have to attach on the first or second hole ... and leaves so much extra, I actually had to cut it off.  

Best Answer

Having just bought mine yesterday BEFORE reading all the issues with the band - I have the same problem it is impossible to fasten.  Why should we have to oil, wet, pinch, fasten as if changing the band when we have just spent £90 on a product that you cannot wear without the worry of losing it ? why are Fitbit not doing something about this for all those buying product still on the retailers shelves now ? in my opinion they should be sending out replacement bands that will fasten properly first time..  What are you going to do about this Fitbit ? I await a reply from the design guru !!

Best Answer

I have another suggestion. I found it very difficult to tighten the clasp but accidentally I found a way which helps. I have a problem with my thumb, so I cannot put a lot of pressure on the clasp.

The instruction video says you should turn your palm towards you so that the clasp is on top. I do it the other way round. I turn my palm down so that the clasp is away from me. Then I put my hand against my breast and take the clasp on the outside. This way it is a lot easier to exercise power.

Best Answer

Has anybody purchased, and been happy with a size small band with a clasp? I'd like to get a recommendation rather than just buying something on Amazon.

Best Answer
0 Votes