Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

I agree - I just bought my Alta, and have spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to stay on. This is an extremely annoying feature. Fitbit people, try to come up with a different design for these bands. They need to work better. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My wife just received this Alta Fitbit and it is a throw away. It takes a pair of pliers to fasten the band. What a waste.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lindaroo  & Bob.terry:  This is what I do. I clasp the bands together just where I want (before it is on my wrist) Then I attach the band to the fitbit.  After I attach the band to one side, I then attach the other band (side) to the fitbit. Now, it's on your wrist & you are ready to go.  Were you able to understand what I posted (this takes less than a minute to do once you clasp the bands together)  If you are confused, just give a hollar.

Happy Stepping, Myra

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is devilishly clever! Never would have thought of it!

I was helped by the suggestion to put a little oil on the holes on the strap, then put the band together without wearing it and letting the holes just expand a little.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer

I was annoyed, too, and still feel Fitbit folks should include more info about the band ; but bob.terry, please read others' comments for dealing with this. 

- Before putting it on, release the band on one side close to the unit (pinch the metal latch and pull up.)  Now it's in 2 pieces, 1/2 the band and the unit attached to the other 1/2 of the band.  Then snap the button pins into the holes while it's not on the wrist. Then put the band, open at the top near the unit, on the wrist and snap the metal latch back in place.

After a few weeks of this, the holes will have stretched a bit so the band can be closed at the pins more easily and the Fitbit can be put on in the normal way. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nan, I just saw this post now.  I have arthritis & the buckle bands were also hard for me. So I do the buckle bands the same way as the bands with the holes & it works. In fact, I have a buckle one on now.  Are you having any problem with the bands from Amazon?  A few months ago my sister ordered the bands from Amazon for $10. The bands kept falling off her wrist.  She was lucky & didn't lose her Fitbit.  But, I just noticed you have the buckle bands from Amazon (maybe the buckles are better. Hers were the original. 

Myra

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried the tips you posted to try to get my Charge HR on.  I put it away in a drawer over a year ago because I have never been able to get it closed - even when it's off my wrist!  Any other suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I unhook the fit bit at the metal clasp and reclasp it on my wrist. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can't get the metal bit to click into the holes. The Alta may be
different but I have a Charge HR.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Beadsis: Yes the Charge HR is different from the Alta.  However, if you just got your fitbit, maybe because it's new, you just need to loosen it up a bit. Try a few times before putting it on your wrist. Hope this helps.
Myra 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't even close it when it's off my wrist!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought a replacement watch strap (that fits a Fitbit) from Amazon for a few pounds, the conventional adjustable type. It’s well worth it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much! This will solve my problem
Best Answer
0 Votes

You are very welcome. I’m so glad it helped 

Cing:  So glad you were able to get another band that fits & easier to put on your wrist.

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree , I made the mistake of undoing to put on my wrist - HA HA HA ("cos thats the idea isn't it - wearing it), But can i actually put it on No. This is the third on i have had, when they work they're brilliant - I have never had this problem before. 

I will try the suggestion of rubbing olive oil in the holes, with my shky hands this will be fun, however i can see myself buying a new strap. Im eager to get it on record my steps and efforts to lose weight.

*But the question is the FITBIT - why does it have to be so difficult, i have cerebral palsy - i don't have strength in my hands ,i have been pushing for just 5 mins ,my hands are hurting and shaking, where as i knw i can ask my husband. Hopefully you will understand i want to do it myself!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I sympathize. Should be this difficult. Wonder why the manufacturers have not cured this band clasping problem.

I have found that the only simple way to put the Fitbit on and take it off is instead of unsnapping it, unhitch it at the Fitbit itself. I just remove one side of it, and that is much easier. Hope this helps.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,
I have had the Fitbit since Christmas 2017. I clasp and unclasp at the base where the band attaches to the metal base. Otherwise it is difficult to open and close via the regular way.

Dina

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Good idea, now just got to get done up, so that it will stay on

Thankyou For whoever suggested sticking a knife blade in, I don't know what it took of but im now wearing it, s for spraying with olive oil Did'nt have to try that. I did try and take the end of and couldn't do that

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried the olive oil, didn't work for me. I ended up ordering a band with
a watch style clasp which would have been great. It came with good
instructions and the tools you need to undo the tiny screws. Unfortunately
I managed to strip the last screw so now I have to rely on my son to help
me get it back on after showers. I have a brand new denim blue watchband
style if anyone wants it for free! (For a Fitbit Charge HR)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Someone on here suggested , olive oil or a blade in the whole. I figured out the number i would permanently use the strap on. So got the tip of the blade in whose holes. It worked.

I would give it a try while you're awaiting your sstrap 

Best Answer
0 Votes