Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

@bitfan Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure to pass it along. I recommend voting for one of these Feature Request ideas or creating your own if none of those fits in with your specific ask.

@OneEmi Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience with your Alta as well. Robot Happy

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. Tried to swap it for another model with a different strap but Harvey Norman wouldn't do that. Can't wear it when hubby not at home

Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh good. Thank you for posting. Let us know if you like it. Then I'll be able to get one for my mom!
Best Answer
0 Votes
To catmusicat - Oh good. Thank you for posting. Let us know if you like it. Then I'll be able to get one for my mom!
Best Answer

I will be receiving it next week... I will let you all know! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey everyone... Found Alta replacement bands in colors and and prints... Even clasping (buckle) available on Amazon. Just ordered some for me!!
Check it out😄

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@JeanetteW Welcome to the community!

I suggest checking out these useful tips for making clasping easier. Hope that helps out.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
@Catmusical - can you please tell us specifically what you bought? I'd like to check it out. It sounds great!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Catmusicat let us know how it is! Thanks for the info.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the link! There are a lot of pretty bands available!
Best Answer
Amazon. With clasp and non clasp. Lots of great choices. I have 4 on their way!!!!!
Best Answer

Let us know how you like it. I ordered this buckle band  - "Moretek Wireless Smartwatch Fitness Replacement Bracelet Band for Fitbit Alta (Black)" from Amazon (for me and my mom). We've been wearing them for three days. So far so good! This band is a little bulkier on the short ends of the Alta than the original because it does not attach to the Alta on the ends. The Alta just slips inside the silicone. You do not have to take the Alta out to charge it. The band is SO much easier to take off and put on than the original AND it is much more secure. It performs just as you would expect a watch buckle to perform. Buckles have been holding up pants for centuries. Now I have one to protect my fitbit investment!

Best Answer

The clasp on the Alta is the worst. I have ever seen, has Fitbit ever heard of doing r&d before?

Moderator edit: removed language

Best Answer

As I posted a while back my solution was simply to take off the bracelet, unfasten one side of the Alta from it; choose a couple of holes to suit the size of your wrist & squeeze the prongs firmly to seat them--mine have a definite 'thunk' when they are properly attached--then put the band back around your wrist being sure it's oriented the right way & just re-fasten the Alta at the metal clip--it goes right in. Rinse & repeat.

After having done this every day for the past ten days, I can now revert to the 'squeeze' method with no problem; the holes are quite accommodating compared to the beginning, in fact I just tried it a few seconds ago & it worked just fine. And I much prefer this design to buckles.

Frankly, this is not rocket science, folks. Can we just put this one to bed?

Best Answer
I guess rocket science would be designing a band that worked right when you
put it on. Do you rinse and repeat 40 or 50 times a night to get your hair
clean. Thank you for the **ahem**ic response. Very helpful, answer and repeat.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Try running warm water over the area you are trying to push the clasp through.  Know this helped with other Fitbits I have used.  

**reminder--not waterproof, so be sure to only get the plastic in the water, not the Alta itself. 

Best Answer
Well said!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Leather bands are softer!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Rocket science? When I invest in a product, I expect quality...I understand for some, that your "methods" seems to be working fine... The thing is, that for the money you pay to get things easier, we shouldn't have to be "putting oils, running through water, etc"... This is simply unacceptable!! I just wanted to express my concern, because I really like my Alta, it keeps me motivated, that's why I also posted a buckle band I bought through Amazon, to help others... For all the comments I read, they should upgrade the band, do it better for the costumers... Thank you and sorry for being annoying.

Best Answer
You are not annoying.
Best Answer
0 Votes