Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Are you talking about a buckle clasp?    My HR was a size small.  It had a buckle clasp and I liked it alot. However what I didn't like was how wide it was.That's why I chose the Altra.  But I HATE the snaps.  AND...........for some reason, it seems to hurt a bone in my wrist.

Best Answer

Man Frustrated wrist band is too stiff .....how can i get it to be more pliable? Can not 

get pegs in to wear!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone -- If you're still experiencing issues with getting your Alta clasped to your wrist, even after following the awesome suggestions provided here, we have a new option! With the announcement of the Alta HR, we've released the Alta HR & Alta accessory buckle and tang band.

IMPORTANT: It is currently only available for pre-order but is a viable option for those of you asking for a buckle and tang band. Check it out and let me know what you think! Robot Happy

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Before I started wearing my Alta, I put it on my wrist and determined which two holes could use to "clasp" it.  Then I took it off my wrist and clasped it, unclasped it, then re-clasped it 10-15 times, making sure I used the same two holes to clasp it.  I made it much easier to put on.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

It is almost impossible to clasp the wrist band with one hand when it is new.
The workaround I found was I used two hands to close the wrist band (with Fitbit NOT on the wrist); then I unclasped the band from the FitBit unit on one side(find those instructions on how to switch bands). You just push on the metal plate and lift the band from the unit.
Then you can slip it around your wrist and clip the band back onto the FitBit. Voila!
Make sure it is locked in good though.

It took me about 2 weeks of use before the holes were broken in enough for me to put it on the normal way.

Best Answer

I don't clasp my Alta wristband on my wrist. I clasp it off my wrist, which is much easier, and then I take off one side of the accessory band, wrap it around my wrist, and reattach it.

Disconnected:

IMG_20170308_225233.jpg

Then:

And I reconnect the band around my wrist, which is a lot smoother.

Best Answer
TonyTheTomato

what a great idea thank-you

Regards parkave
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have extreme arthritis in both hands.There is no way I can clasp the band.  I tried olive oil, hot water, pliers - still can't do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
thanks all for your comments on the wrist band struggle...still not clasping easily ...still an unacceptable design...fitbit missed the boat on this one!
Best Answer
Smear just a little oil - I used mineral oil, others have suggested olive oil on the two prongs with a Q-tip. It will snap in very easily.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank-you. I will try it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand, @susietoes. I have severe degenerative arthritis in both hands. It's a challenge. You can try the various tips or you can take the simple way out and purchase a nice band with a watch type clasp. Fitbit is now offering them for Pre-Order. Amazon also offers some very pretty brands in different colors and patterns. Spring is coming so my current, favorite band is a floral pattern of pink/green. If you have small wrists, do NOT buy a one-size-fits-all band. Choose from the bands that offer a small size. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hate this clasp. It's totally frustrating and very difficult to use with arthritis. They would sell so many more bands if they made a normal wrist band. Why they don't offer a different band is beyond me.  I can't recommend an a

Alta to anyone for this reason. 

Best Answer
They do! It has just come out with the Alta HD!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ErickFitbit At an additional $30 when it's NOT an option WITH the Alta Tracker? No thank you.  If your gonna sell seperate I'd still tell people to go to Amazon where they can get 12 color options at $24.

Best Answer

I am trying to wear my Fitbit  but I find the band impossible. The holes seem too small and I feel it is poorly designed I have bruises on my wrist from trying to push it closed and I don't have the strength to manually close it with two fingers. I have to have someone else put it on me, and they are a strong male and still have problems.

I will try the coconut oil and see if that loosens it up a bit

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a quick solution. Put oil on band and take a fork and run the prongs through several times. It enlarges the holes. Worked great for me and now my band snaps in place so much easier.   We still should have  band with a normal watch band clasp. But pass on the fork trick  it really helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. Will try it and let you know.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi  Klienea:

They finally have a band with a buckle for "alta"- so for now there is a choice (buckle or clasps)
Hope this helps, Myra

Best Answer

Actually, the news about having a band with a buckle is for everyone, who dislikes the clasp.

Hope this helps, Myra

Best Answer
0 Votes