Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

You can purchase bands with a buckle sort of thing in many different colours off Amazon.

You can purchase a band which fits the fitbit but with a normal buckle off Amazon. I hope this is of some use!

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have problems with my wrist band - My alta band just fell apart in one shot.  I almost lost it if I didn't catch it on a fly.  Now I dont have a band - Its not even a year and I cant use it anymore  - I want fitbit to replace my band - how do I go about doing this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Check Amazon. They have many.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Good to see you all in the Community Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having problems putting on your Fitbit Alta.

Thanks a lot to all fo those who have shared their suggestions. I'm pretty sure many others have found them useful.

I'd like to add another suggestion. If you put the bands in warm water, this will help the material get loose and after about 5 minutes of being in warm water, take them out, dry them, attach them to the tracker and put it on. It should result easier this time.

Anything else you guys may need, I'm here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s not exactly my problem – Mine is that that where the band attaches to the actual fitbit - It has completely fallen apart within one year and to me that’s not acceptable for such a big company - these bands should be replaced if they completely come apart like that ! But because your company is soooooo difficult to get results - I am unable to use this expensive device and no alternative way to use this device. I think Fitbit should replace my band so I can finally get on with my life and fitness.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm very sorry to hear this @SunsetRunner. Welcome to the Fitbit Community Forums!

I've escalated your case to our Support Team for them to help you out with this. Please, keep an eye on your inbox for more instructions and if you need more help, feel free to let me know!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi howde:  I am sorry your band isn't working.  Having it for almost a year, I don't think Fitbit will give you a new band.  However, it's not expensive to order them from Amazon & they have over night shipping.  Also, you can get them from Target (which is where I buy my bands they run between $10 & $14 each)  When you have several bands, there is less wear & tear & you can match them with what you are wearing.  I know this isn't the answer you wanted.  But, hopefully you get  a new band very soon & start "stepping again"
Take care, Myra

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes
I get what you are saying - But I have a big problem with a company so large - It does not have a phone number to call for customer complaints.
Maybe things would get resolved a lot better and faster.
Maybe this is their way of cutting costs.
Whatever the reason - My band maybe should be more like a watch band that when it breaks I can resolve it myself without the help from Fitbit .
My complaint is that the only way I can get this fixed is with another fitbit band that with undoubtedly break again and again under the one year mark.

With such an expensive item its the cheapest item on the fitbit that completely falls apart
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to say, but your expectations of a good-neighbor kind of company is a thing of the past. Computer software/hardware vendors don't give a darn about the customer.  They only care if they can bring in more customers to satisfy shareholders.  They have no incentive to actually do the job you think they should.  It's a new and unprincipled world.  So buyer beware, and once you've bought, you can't fix, just dump or make-do.

Regarding the band, it sucks.  Other users will tell you to massage with body lotion, wait for it to finally work, or jump through hoops to get it to clasp.  Don't kid yourself that they care if you're happy.  You bought it.  They're done with you.  So now, if you think the features of the unit are worth working with, be willing to adjust your start date to their limited Sunday/Monday options (not any day of the week,) and find a way to use their band or get another one.  Again, they have no interest in satisfying you.  You already bought it.  You have no further influence.

I have found the bands available on Amazon very acceptable.  But as they become a 5-star product, the manufacturer takes advantage.  They reduce options, increase price...   I bought Konikit bands with a watchband type buckle, 10 bands for $10 on Amazon.  That option no longer exists.  However, there are some other replacement bands with buckle closures to replace the impossibly difficult press/point bands that FitBit offers that are still reasonable.  The 10-pack i bought is out of stock (yeah, right. -- they just decided it was a bargain and so repriced in a way that gives them more profit.) ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4ACQT6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

So do some research for alternate bands and find something that  fits your needs.  I definitely recommend Amazon.  And I recommend a watchband type buckle.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi there
I agree with you about the company. I bought a metallic band with a magnetic
clasp from eBay for about AUS$10. I also had one for my previous, smaller
fitbit. They work very well. It¹s not worth fiddling with the fitbit band,
it¹s useless and people have been complaining about it for years and they¹ve
done nothing.
Best Answer
0 Votes
My daughter gave me my Fitbit for Christmas on Dec 25 2017, so I have owned it and worn it daily for over one year. I remove the fitbit every morning when I take my shower and weekly to recharge it. In the beginning I was trying to work with the actual clasp and I too had trouble. Than I followed someone’s suggestion to unclip at the base where the fit bit meets the band, either side and that’s what I have been doing with no further issues. If you wear the Fitbit slightly loose, than it’s easy to undo the clasp that way with thumb or index finger. The band is still in good condition and the clasp as been kept closed and I no longer fiddle with that part.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
The problem I had with mine was not only the fact that the clasp was
difficult to use it it also made it less secure. My son gave me my Fitbit
for Christmas in 2016. In February of 2017 we flew to Palm Springs when I
realized I had lost it. Not wanting my son go be upset I bought another one
while there. Had so much trouble with the band that ordered some watch
style bands from Amazon. That was great until the Fitbit quit working soon
after! I contacted Fitbit but was given a run around. So I give up. I liked
my Fitbit but not enough to warrant spending that kind of money again! Now
I have Cancer and my money goes to other more important things.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Very good idea, wish I had thought of that. In the end I bought some different straps which work a lot better. They're metal and have a magnetic clasp.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there everyone!  Good to see you all in the Community Forums! 🙂

I'm very sorry to hear the experiences you've had have not been what you would expect. Now, just for clearing out a few things, if you're having problems with your bands and are still under warranty, you can let me know and I'll be happy to escalate your case to our Support Team for them to help you out and replace it for you.

In the case you're already out of warranty, our team will not be able to replace the band/tracker but they can look for other options that you can benefit from.

If any of you needs some help, feel free to let me know!

Best Answer
0 Votes
How can I stop getting emails with hints for clapping my wristband? I long ago bought a better one through Amazon. Then I lost my fitbit.
Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can unsubscribe to the emails or you can manage your settings. Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Teacozy, thank you for your inquiry, you're referring to the notifications you get via e-mail about the updates or replies shared on this thread (Clasping and switching your Alta wristband) correct? 

As @em_f mentioned, you can unsubscribe from the thread by clicking on the gear icon right at the top of this thread, then you should see the option "Unsubscribe ". 

Keep us posted. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you David for the info.  I too, was wondering how to stop receiving these messages.  I've since moved on to a Blaze and just this week a new Versa!  Looking forward to getting it setup.  The Alta band "fiasco" is a distant memory - ha ha!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the update @Islandgrly, it's good to know you'll be enjoying your Blaze and Versa. Smiley Happy

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes
Guess what readers – Good news for a change.

>From the time I emailed Fitbit and because the wristband completely fell apart I sent them pictures and my receipt within 1 year of buying it
They have recognized that this was not acceptable.
I have finally received my wristband free of cost free cost of shipping also.
Wow I would not have believed it.
My Alta is now up and running – literally!!!
Good luck to all who gave me good advice along the way.
Signing off.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer