Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update not going through on Alta HR

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Recently bought a Fitbit Alta HR.

It pairs and connects to the phone just fine, but updating the tracker's software always ends up with the "Not working?" screen.

Both the phone and the fitbit are in their chargers.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the fitbit app.

Restarted the phone.

Restarted the fitbit.

Still doesn't work?

I tried contacting their customer support 2 times, and both of the responses were from people who could barely even speak English at an understandable level. Honestly, a really horrible experience so far.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi there @throwawayaccoun. Good to see you in the Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry you're having problems getting your Alta HR to update 😕 thanks for all that you've tried to get it to work!

Now, I'd like to know... are you seeing a pink button saying that there is an update available for your tracker? If so, I'd recommend one more thing. It is removing your Alta HR from your connected Bluetooth devices. For this, go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone. On your connected devices, look for your tracker. Tap on it, then choose the option that says "Forget this device". Then, proceed to set up your tracker as a new device.

For this, go to the Account section at the top right corner on the Fitbit app and select the option that says "Set up a new device". Follow the on-screen instructions and once you're done, your tracker should be syncing without a problem and by setting it up as a new device, the update should take place automatically.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope- I have tried on iPhone X, MS Surface Pro w/ Windows 10, etc.  Nothing works 😞 

Best Answer

Thank you for getting back @sketchydk! I just checked with our Support Team and it seems that they've already helped you out with this and hopefully we will have you back on track soon! 🙂

If you need anything else, I'm here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fit bit Alta HR during the firmware update, when it reaches the first dot then an exclamatiomln mark appears and restarts the update 

Best Answer

Sorry. All fine

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! The Fitbit team sent me a replacement tracker and it updated without issue.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Could you share what was the solution for this issue?

Best Answer

I just got this problem solved last night myself. It seems like I tried everything and then it occurred to me it might just be getting interference from the other Bluetooth devices nearby. So I started over again in a room that didn't have 8 different things using Bluetooth (PlayStation speakers cameras etc...) And yep they went straight through. When all else fails, reduce the noise

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried turning off all the Bluetooth transmissions around me, but the update still failed with my phone.  The idea then occurred to me to install the Windows app from the website, and update the Fitbit from there, and that worked for me. Maybe the Bluetooth on my phone just doesn't get along with the Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For anyone trying to get their Alta HR connected and updated, I managed to succeed after trying everything mentioned on the forums and support without success (restarting the phone, device, Bluetooth, reinstalling the app, moving away from other devices, connecting it to the charge station etc). Initially I could not get the tracker to connect to my Pixel 3a (i tried about 30 times), it would just fail after entering the numbers, I tried with a Samsung Galaxy S9 was able to connect but the firmware update continually failed. A couple of days later, I noticed that the tracker did actually connect to my 3a at some point when I wasn't trying but it still hadn't setup the device so it still showed the "www.fitbit.com/setup" on the Alta HR and wouldn't sync when prompted. I suspected that the firmware was too old in the model I received.

I ended up solving the problem by getting an older phone (in my case it was the original Google Pixel) downloading the Fitbit App on that phone. It connected without any issues and updated the firmware first time!  After the firmware update, I went back to my Pixel 3a and tried to connect. It connected and synced perfectly. 

Best Answer

I've done the same thing with a brand new Alta HR, but pairing it again with my PIxel 3 does NOT work. It keeps losing sync. 

I've tried it with a new Inspire 2. Works perfectly fine.

Using another device just to get things working is NOT a solution. 

Best Answer