Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit Alta crashing when reaching 10,000 steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Alta just crashes out about every other day right around the time I get to 10,000 steps.  I have to plug it into the cable and "charge" it to get it to restart even though it seems to have a charge.  Anyone else having this issue?  Is there a solution? 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
57 REPLIES 57

That sounds very strange @mverola. I'm sorry to hear that your Alta is crashing when you reach your 10,000 steps.

I'm not sure what could be going on exactly, however, my recommendation would be to set up your tracker as a new device and see if this makes any difference. For this, go to the Account section at the top right corner on the Fitbit app and select the option that says "Set up a new device". Follow the on-screen instructions and once you're done, your tracker should be syncing without a problem.

If you get to experience the same problem after this, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help you out with this.

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

Same issue here.  This has been ongoing and "charge" registers >50%.

Best Answer

My Alta is doing the same I cannot work out why its doing it have you received any feedback as to why this is happening and how it can be rectified 

Best Answer

I never did get a solution my problem.  I did everything they said, i restarted it, removed it from the app, etc.  Nothing worked.  I got fed up with it and bought myself an Apple Watch.  Best decision I have ever made.

Best Answer

Thanks for participating in our Community, a warm welcome to you @km08  @Xemxi and thanks for your update @mverola , I'm glad to give all of you a hand with your Alta concerns. 

@mverola I appreciate your feedback and for attempting the steps from @FerdinandFitbit, we're always striving to improve our products and services. If you consider to come back to our Fitbit family, we will be waiting for you with open arms to continue providing assistance.

@km08 @Xemxi Can you please confirm if the steps above from @FerdinandFitbit post were attempted? If not, I'll highly recommend to try these steps and let me know how it goes.

@km08 can you please give me more details about the >50% battery life concern?

I'll be around looking for your replies! 👀

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue. I have tried all the steps suggested above and it still does it. Interested that others are having the same issue. What do you suggest Fitbit?

Edit: I should say, I have already tried the steps suggested above, but it did it again the next day. I'm frustrated because it defeats the purpose of trying to reach a goal!

Best Answer

That was my issue.  I would be striving for a goal and it would crash.  I enjoy the motivation and the challenges.  When it stops working it defeats the purpose.   I hope they get this worked out.  

Best Answer

I have done all the steps above as well and it still freezes almost every time  

Anyone find a solution?? 

Best Answer

Welcome to our Community @CeeRee and @Njcowboy , I'm happy to help with your Alta concerns. Thanks for your reply @mverola, welcome back.

@CeeRee  @Njcowboy Thanks for troubleshooting this concern prior posting. Since both of you already setup your Alta as a new device, I'll recommend to restart the device and let me know if the issue persist. 

@mverola I appreciate your suggestions and comments, we are always working on provide an excellent Fitbit experience to motivate you toward your daily goals. 

I'll be waiting for your replies. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When it freezes, I plug it in and it restarts.

Is there another way?

I have also let the devixe drain down and turn off. Still no help  

Best Answer
I have tried resetting from the button on the charger it makes no
difference.
I also have to recharge and restart it each time it crashes as it turns off
and wont turn on again till I do.
Best Answer

Your replies are appreciated @CeeRee and @Njcowboy , I'm happy to continue providing assistance, 

Thanks for the patience and for having tried to troubleshoot this situation. I’ve reached the limits of what I can do here on the public Community Forums so I've contacted our Support team on your behalf to look further into this issue and provide you with some options. Please keep an eye on your email inboxex for their contact.

Please keep me posted 🤓

Best Answer

I am having the same problem. It gets to my goal and then crashes. It's disappointing that support hasn't been able to determine why, yet this is something that is happening to many people it seems. It was working 100% of the time for the past three+ years, but the last couple of weeks, I've been having problems. I wonder if there is a way to turn off the "fireworks" that appear when I reach 10,000 steps. Maybe that would help. Either that, or perhaps if I set my goal higher, it would still register the 10,000 steps but wouldn't crash until I reach a much higher goal (which I would set so high that I would never reach it). Any thoughts? I'm doing a challenge now so I want to make sure I get my 10,000 steps registered without having to be near my charger all the time now.

Best Answer
I dont think they ever found a fix. They sent me a new one in the end (just
the fitbit face part). It seems ok on the new one - so far...
Best Answer

I am currently on my 2nd replacement tracker. All three have shut down during the day. I’ve tried the reset instructions multiple times. The support staff at Fitbit has been wonderful but they just keep sending me new trackers that ultimately fail.

My first one was working great for about 6months and then out of no where started to turn off. The first replacement had lines on the screen but worked well for a few days then started to turned off. The newest replacement turned off unexpectedly almost immediately. I was just sent a link to get a third replacement.

I would like some transparency on what the real issue is from Fitbit. It seems like they just made a terrible device. I like my ChargeHR but the band broke and I got tired of supergluing it back together. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally had the chance to set up my brand-new new FitBit Alta, and as the ‘fireworks’ started for the 10K goal it shut down IMMEDIATELY.

FIRST day using it and it fails miserably.  

After reading the issues EVERYONE else seems to be having there seems to be something seriously wrong with this model.

(It’s my second one, BTW).

What is FitBit planning to do about this?

Best Answer

@winning_wonder The way I see this all playing out is they are going to continue to suggest resetting the tracker, when that doesn’t work they will send you a link to get a replacement (or 50% off a different tracker), then repeat until our warranty runs out. I tried to call for a refund as I am on my third tracker with the same problem but they denied me. 

I will now be saving up for an Apple Watch and will spread the word amongst friends and family to stay away from purchasing a Fitbit. 

Best Answer

I gave up a long time ago and got myself and Apple Watch.  Works perfectly.  No issues.  It’s worth the money. 

Best Answer
They have stopped making this model and I wonder if this is why. I heard
others got offered a 50% off another model. I wish they would offer me
that. I'm so sick of it.
Best Answer