Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit Died In Middle of Night. No Longer Turns On

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

So, I bought my Alta HR exactly on 31 October in 2017. I started having issues with it around October of last year where the little green sensors on the back? The lights were always on and no matter what troubleshooting I did, they never went off. They were so incredibly bright that I could take my Fitbit off and walk around the house on pitch darkness and use it as a flashlight. I contacted support and got absolutely zero help from the exchange.

Fash forward to around December to the beginning of the year and the lights began to heat up so badly that I now have burn scars on my arm from where the Fitbit singed my skin. It's not too bad now that it's healed but now, today, as of 0924, 20 April, 2020, my Fitbit is completely dead. It won't turn on at all. Not a peep. I really don't want to spend another $200 on a brand new Fotbit because I don't have that kind of money right now and I'm pretty sure that I'm past warranty to be able to replace it but last ditch effort, I suppose? 

Has anyone else had issues with their AltaHR literally burning their skin off after 2 years and then dying in the middle of the night? I literally want another Fitbit because that's the ONLY way I've been able to track my horrendous sleep but I'm leaning towards abandoning ship completely if they're only gonna last for 2 years.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @RootWitch_Queen,

It definitely sounds like there's something wrong with the battery.  I know you contacted Support before, but when you did, did you ask for a Battery Test?  If not, I would consider contacting them again and asking for a Battery Test to find out more about what's going on.

As for warranty, are you in the US or Europe?  If you are in the US, you are definitely out of warranty, as Fitbit in the US only has a 1 year limited warranty.  However, I have heard that in other parts of the world, the warranty is good for at least 2 years.  And if you purchased it at a third party retailer, the warranty might even extend beyond that.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Weird! I had almost the exact same things happen, but just yesterday. The green light was super bright. When I woke up this morning, I had a small cut on my wrist. I thought the Fitbit rubbed it or something, but now I am thinking I may have gotten burned, too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ah, I didn't think about a Battery Test! @DramaQueenDiva 

I'm in the US so I am pretty sure that warranty is gone for now but I did purchase through Home Shopping Network so I can try to call them tomorrow and see if they have any warranty options available.

I'll contact Fitbit support as well. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nicolewelsh I would contact them, honestly, because I think they should know that their devices are causing first degree burns in people! It is absolutely WILD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine recently died also.  I tried the restart  protocol which worked yesterday but today wont restart at all!!  I'll  ask for the Battery Test.  Return email from Fitbit customer service said it will be 7+ days because of staffing issues.  

I also have bright green lights but never a burning issue. 

Stay well 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had tge exact same thing happen. Very bright lights going off all the time. My arm was burned quite badly & then it just died. Did all the restart stuff with Fitbit customer services. I’ve only had it 4 months!!!! I noticed straight away that it only lasted a couple days-4 days max from very beginning then down to 2 days when it started going nuts and burned me. Then it went dead. I’m shocked to learn others have had this too & yet Fitbit does nothing. They have said I can have a replace but if I really want one? I just want my money back!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ScoutinLondon and welcome to the Community.  Can you please verify that you have an Alta HR?  You wrote that you have had it for four months, but Fitbit discontinued that device in 2019 and hasn't been sold by Fitbit for several years.  If you are in the UK, please check with local return policies.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes