Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta Fell Off & Now Lost!

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am Very Upset! My wife bought me a Fitbit Alta (Black/Large) for an early Father's Day present. I loved it! and was so happy to help me with getting fit.
Well today while out walking at Disneyland it fell off! I haven't even had it 10 days! The strap on this is terrible! If it comes off while walking & limited activity, how are you suppose to do increased activity? You would think there would be a clasp or some kind of lock to keep it from coming off! My wife is upset too since this was the gift she bought for me so she & I could challenge each other to stay active, now it's gone! $129+ for less than 10 days :-(...
Fitbit needs to improve this band!
I sure wouldn't recommend the Fitbit Alta to my friends or co-workers if it falls off that easily!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
127 REPLIES 127

After reading so many posts about people losing their Fitbits, I feel compelled to write this post and give insight to what we think is an obvious and glaring fail on the part of the company. 

Being a product designer by trade, I knew that after putting on my beautifully designed Alta, that I may have troubles down the road with this one. 

Function should never follow form - as an industrial designer, its my biggest pet peeve in my workplace. The product has to work, and work well. Over anything else. In other words, the streamlined look of this season's Fitbit clasps are beautiful in form, but came with a price for all of us that have lost our beloved trackers. I knew after a few days of taking the watch on and off (you must - they are not waterproof...otherwise I would of definitely not messed with a good thing and left it on in the shower! Please don't, as they are not designed to handle water!) Wearing it to bed, I would find it under the sheets in the morning (ok, I do toss and turn like a pig on a spit - but that's a different story).

The pin that is supposed to snap into the band is sturdy enough (actually quite nicely designed I have to say, with the diamond shape countersinking into the top part of the band) but the material of the band where the holes are, must flex itself time and time again, in order for the pin to move past the undercuts. Over time, the holes will stretch out. No matter what rubber material is used (silicone, TPR etc.), these things have a way of stretching out with use (I won't give any funny comparisons here but you get my drift 🙂

Also, the end of the band (although tapered) still an area that is prone to 'catching' on things, like when you put your arm through your jacket, or when you put on your backpack (which is how I lost mine, I'm sure). Or just moving normally, doing normal things. 

After a few weeks, you would have noticed that the struggle to get the pin through the hole became easier. This is good and bad, as it became easier to put on, but in fact more risky of losing it altogether now. I'm sure there were many complaints about the band being hard to put on as well. This is where focus testing and consumer testing is key. But don't always blame the designers...we are pressured to sometimes design stuff that we don't always agree with...or maybe they were rushed to put a new product on the market without thorough testing? (god knows I've done that lol)  Pharm companies do it all the time right? Maybe there were many clasp design proposals in the beginning and the key decision makers wanted the sleek look and didn't listen to that lowly designer who said in a small voice, "yeah...i can design it that way if you want but it may not be the most sturdiest option..."

We don't always have foresight as a company, or as an industrial designer. Manufacturing tolerances and stiffness of the rubber band can vary depending on who is manning that part of the process in the factory...

I can only speculate the reason for this most obvious design fail. But rest assured, from my own personal experience, Fitibit is probably having many-a-meeting on how to handle the damange control with this one (consumers are very very savvy these days and word gets around fast).  I'm sure they are in turn trying to keep Fitibit customers happy until the next 'release' - where you can sure that they are hard at work trying to design a more fail safe design.

SO don't blame yourself or Fitbit. No ones' to blame here. It's just an unfortunate lack-of-foresight thing and Fitibit is trying to rectify it. So if you're like me, and I lost my Fitbit today - give their customer service a call. I can't stress how AMAZING my experience has been with them. I explained that my beloved new Fitbit is still under warranty, and how over the course of the past three months, the clasp had become increasingly more loose and it kept falling off until yup, today of all days, is the day I lost it outside while running errands. No questions asked, they immediately sent me a new one and it is coming in the mail next week. You can't ask for better than that. And remember, being nice and cordial while on the phone to the customer support guy can go a long way.

Now, I realize I will still have the same problem with my replacement band - and yes, I had the little soft rubber sleeve on it (useless, don't get it - this requires stiffer stuff guys). Also being a jewelry designer, I had fashioned (McGyver'ed) a metal tight sleeve that slipped tightly over the band - which had worked like a charm (many a glance down at my wrist, discovering that my Alta was hanging by a thread, 'cept for the sliver band that was keeping it's life afloat...hmmmm...I see a new Etsy opportunity...lol). Anyway, today it must have been hanging by a thread, and I didn't notice it had wiggled its way loose past the metal band. 

So what are our options? Product brainstorm underway:

1. Source an off-market buckle watch band (there's no official Fitbit watch type band for the Alta) - you can try Ebay, there's plenty of 'em for under ten bucks. Unfortunately I only found regular size bands, and none that I was able to find for the 'small' size wrists, which is why I am in this predicament to begin with. 

2. Buy one of the bangle type bracelet styles that are made for the Alta (this won't help the dudes out there though)

3. If you're crafty like me, you can try and fashion your own metal clasp using wire (think how a paperclip bends, and bend it just so that you can wiggle it on tightly)

4. Since #3 failed for me, my next attempt will be to wear a dedicated bracelet WITH the watch (like a charm bracelet that has a lobster clasp extension - and clip that part to a ring that I will permanently afix to one of the holes in the band). Think of a fancy watch or fancy bracelet that has that 'safety' latch or chain. Any local jeweller can probably do that for you. 

Hope that helps any disgruntled Fitbit customers out there, or at least help to explain why these things happen. I have never experienced such great customer support as the Fitbit support team, so kudos to them. In a situation like this, they definitely stepped up to the plate and ate their humble pie on this one.

I await with curiosity and baited breath to see how they design their next set of tracker bands. 

Best Answer
I'm glad you had a positive experience with customer support.  After multiple attempts, (I was calm and polite each time), they have finally agreed to send me a new one.  They say it is a one-time thing.  I've ordered a leather buckle band so that this third one will hopefully not come undone and get lost.  I just don't understand why this hasn't been fixed as I noticed the fastening/band design was a problem in an earlier Fitbit model too. I wish that the purchase of a fitbit came with a buckle band, even if that had to raise the price.  The way it is, has put a 'bad taste in my mouth' for Fitbit, yet they did eventually replace it and I've purchased a separate band.
Best Answer
0 Votes
This is the very reason I did not want an Alta to replace my Charge...The band is too skinny and I didn't like the way it "suppose" close...Not secure at all
Best Answer

I've heard enough.  I'm returning mine before I lose it.

Best Answer

You can still consider an Alta just be sure to buy fasteners on Amazon.com.  The fasteners are cheap and will definitetly protect your Fitbit from popping off.  Three years ago, after almost losing a Flex twice, I purchased fasteners and have been using fasteners through my Flex and Charge days.  My band NEVER came off while using the fasteners.  I recently ordered a new Alta and ordered the fasteners on the same day. I also purchased little Alta screen protectors (Ace Armor Shield). The Alta came today and I must say, it is sleek and has a very sturdy feel.  The fasteners and the screen protector are in place.  The Alta is ready to go!  (*Note: I use two fasteners at a time for added security.  You can also change bands on the Alta, so your choices of coordinating colors with your wardrobe are increased significantly.)  Alta fasteners.jpg 

Best Answer

I have been wearing my Flex daily for 2++ years and love it ...it has never ever come undone and I wear it all the time doing barn chores and riding horses...but I am starting to have charging issues even after cleaning it etc.  Not sure if it would still be covered under warranty.

I was going to upgrade to the Charge (Not HR) but it seems that it is discontinued.

I really love the look of the Alta and would love to upgrade to it.... but not if it is going to fall off! 

If the cute little plastic keepers work, then FitBit should start sending a few of them out with every Alta they sell!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had mine fall off when I grabbed my shoulder bag out of the backseat of my car and the Alta strap snagged on the shoulder strap. Obviously, something was missed during the design & testing phase for this product as the bit of rubber around the two pinholes definitely likes to catch on things. Desk edges, jackets, and apparently bag shoulder straps.

My Alta now has two small dents in the metal casing and side of the scratch-resistant display, which evidently is not impact-resistant. It's not a big deal, as I didn't lose my tracker, nor do the dents affect its' functionality, but it was still very disappointing to see such a design flaw.

An easy way to solve this issue would be to include a rubber sliding piece that you slide over the two pinhole band closure, similar to what watch straps have to secure the tail of a long strap. Alternatively, do what I did and buy a replacement band from Amazon. I'm waiting on a replacement Watch Style Silicon band in Lime Green to come in, and just ordered a Leather Watch Style band in Teal Blue for one third the price FitBit's official leather band sells for. Quality won't be the same, but I figured I'd take a chance and save some money.

Best Answer

Sorry to hear that you've lost your tracker. You might check out the tips in this article - if you've paired to a mobile device, that might help you to locate it.

If not, please contact our team at http://contact.fitbit.com to see if there's anything more they can do to assist.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good news !!! After contacting customer service multiple times and explaining how frustrated I am with loosing the Alta tracker on the first day I used it, and also quoting the discussion here, I got a replacement for my Alta. Thanks to the Fitbit customer support team for resolving my issue by shipping a replacement Alta.

Best Answer

I have had my Alta for a week now and absolutley love it!  Remember to buy fasteners and screen protectors on Amazon.  The Ace Armor Shield screen protectors work great.  Don't be too taken aback by the instructions (placing water in a bowl with a few drops of dish detergent to soak the little protector before you place it on your tracker).  The screen protector works great and has already warded off a couple of scratches this past week.  I know I sound like broken record, but you want to keep your tracker secure and lookin' good.  Have fun with it!  

Best Answer

Why doesn't Fitbit just include some of these little silicon bands with every Flex and Alta?!?

Best Answer

I agree that Fitbit should include fasteners with their snap-type wristbands.  Only the Fitbit design team would be able to answer that question.  My son-in-law wears a fitness tracker from another company and that company has offered free "activity clips" to their customers to help hold their wristband closures secure.         

Best Answer

@RaymondJr

The same thing happen to me, I wrote Fitbit and they told me it was not classified as a mechanical defect.
They offered me another one at 25% off. Of course I decline that offer and wrote back stating that their product was indeed flawed in designed and if I had to, I would take this matter to upper management.
Thee next day, I was notified that my replacement Alta was on it's way.

Best Answer

@Bepsy @bostonjosie @NancyP @TWil It's great to see you in the Community! Smiley Very Happy

@Bepsy I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get a replacement! Follow these replacement set up steps on @SteveH post for you to not loose any of your previous information. @TWil

@bostonjosie Thanks for the advice! I'm sure that will help a lot of users. You can also suggest the idea on the Feature Requests Board for it to get votes to get implemented in the future.  @NancyP

See you around! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Thanks for that rubber band idea ... I love it! But yes, they do need to redesign the band. I lost my Alta yesterday and have walked all over trying to sync and also downloaded Bluetooth Search and that couldn't find it either... no luck, it's gone.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been a Fitbit customer for over 5 years and this was my 6th Fitbit purchase.  Customer Support suggested that I go back to the retailer for a replacement or that I accept their 25% off discount for a replacement.  I don't find either option acceptable - why should the retailer be held responsible for poor product design?  Why should I purchase another without Fitbit correcting the design flaw.  My frustration is escalated by this blog where I see that Fitbit has sent replacements for some and discounts for others... poor product design, lack of ownership of the flaw, and inconsistent customer service has me looking for a replacement alternative...  😞  Talking with my co-workers I am hearing good things about the microsoft fitness band - one co-worker told me that her band started to look a bit distressed so she went into a microsoft store and they gave her a replacement and allowed her to keep the original.  Impressive support.

Best Answer

Congratulations on receiving great support!  Me, not so much... Fitbit suggested that I reach out to REI for a replacement or take Fitbit up on the offer to accept a 25% discount on a replacement.  Neither option is reasonable to me.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi -- I have too have lost an Alta, and my daughter lost an Alta (while bot of us were wearing one of the Alta leather pink bands).  When I contacted them with a complaint about the loss, all they offered was a slight discount on a new device (I ordered the Alta gold edition).  However, my complaint is this -- the leather bands should not have been produced without a buckle type latch.  Fitbit, get rid of the clasp latch on the leather bands -- it isn't working! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
My husband & I are both longtime, satisfied customers of Fit Bit products. We value the data it provides and features as well. My Fitbit Alta has snapped my wrist a few times. Luckily, it was at my house or classroom and quickly found. Yesterday, my Fit Bit came off at Penn Station. With thousands of people, it became quickly lost. I placed a report in at station with no luck. After researching this product further, there seems to be a design flaw. Does Fit Bit replace device due to the design flaw? I really value the product and would like to continue to use it with perhaps some extra protection for strap. Please inform me of how to replace this product.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Nice to see you here @carolyn9678@soccermum@cholly, and @fityogiThank you for your feedback for the Fitbit environment, customer service, and devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

@carolyn9678 If you are still unable to locate your tracker, please contact Support for extra help on this. Just let them know what you already try. I'm sure that they can help more with this. 

@soccermum At the moment, the 25% discount option as per our Warranty Policies is the best option to help you get back on track with the Fitbit family and I'm sure our Customer Support team will be more than glad to help you further with this.

@cholly Fitbit is always improving their products and services. And, please be assured that I'll pass along this feedback. Also, you can participate in our Feature Suggestions board. There you can vote for a similar idea or create your own idea. The ideas with more votes are taken in to consideration by our developers.

@fityogi If your buddy is lost, please contact our Support team. I'm sure they can help with this. Just remember to read our warranty policies before contacting them.

Good luck every one, catch you later! 😉  

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer