Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta HR stopped charging, the pins are clean, the charger clip works fine (got a replacement

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought this Fitbit a few years ago, as soon as they announced it. The first unit broke in a few weeks and did not charge, then they (Fitbit) gently replaced the unit for me, but the unit wasn't the problem, so I bought a cable on Amazon and since then I've had a Fitbit Alta AH running. During the Pandemic, the brightness of the first Fitbit display began to dim, then I realized that the alcohol used to sterilize my wife's wrist (she works in healthcare) went into the Fitbit's body, and ruined the OLED circuit. I switched to the replacement unit and since then it has worked fine.. until a few weeks ago, It showed a concise battery life span, from 6 days running into 3, then 2 then 1 then 0 days. Since then I cleaned the contacts, the Fitbit consumes less than 0.6 mA on 5V and does not charge anymore (charge current was always over 10mA).
Tried to factory reset (disconnecting 3 times repeatedly) and this did not work. 
When I pick it up from the desk, after a long rest, it shows a dim empty battery sign with a small exclamation in the middle, then it shuts off forever.
Any Clue? ¿should I trash the device?
PD: I live in Argentina and here there are only unofficial 3rd vendors of Fitbit but this unit is long out-of-stock and the new units are very expensive though. I bought the unit on Amazon once during one of my US trips.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@andysoft The Alta HR was discontinued in March 2019. No new ones were manufactured after that time. That means your Alta HR is at least 5 years old. It's likely to be even older than that. You've done an amazing job keeping your Alta HR working this long. 

Unfortunately, rechargeable batteries have a shelf life. Even batteries that are never used will lose power over time. It sounds as though your battery may be at the end of its useful life. You may want to try restarting your device (instructions here) a few times to see if that helps. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer
Thanks, I'll try to do the reset, but unfortunately, the original Fitbit's
ALTA cable failed long ago, and I ordered a replacement on Amazon (no reset
button) but I know this button only interrupts the connection, so I'll try
again to do this to reset this ALTA HR 'smart' band but unfortunately made
of 'silly'-con 😄

BTW
I also own a Fitbit Charge 2 HR, bought about 1 year before ALTA's buying,
and it's still working! (>6 years) several bands went destroyed, last year
bought a leather band and it fits (bits) still on my arms every day.. and
incredibly its battery life span is STILL about 6 days !! (amazing..) I
should earn a prize for good-customer and perseverance!!
Last year (2022) I went on vacation to Turkey, and this amazing band
recorded every up&down movement (Turkey is all up and down the hill because
the city of Istambul was built on 7 hills) so I earned some medals & prizes
(not worth, but funny)
I did not buy a new one just because this one still works, and the new
models lack height measurement (atmospheric pressure measurement) and I
think this is very important and precise for measuring total spent calories
(potential energy), and although the new models shine, they lack basic
functions.

Hope you will launch a model in the future that fulfills my simple needs
since buying an old charge 3/3/5 HR will lead me to an old battery, as you
stated, the end-of-life span is closer.