Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta keeps shutting down

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My 65 days old Fitbit Alta with a full charge shuts down after 4 or 5 hours.  When I plug it in, it resets without me pushing the button.  The charge battery symbol displays before the clock, and continues to display after I unplug the cable even.  Again after several hours, my Fitbit shuts down. 

Hope someone can help as I have tried "Chat" only to be put on hold for three hours the first time and one hour the second.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
66 REPLIES 66
I contacted Fitbit and went thru all the steps to restart and reset my
unit which failed. Fitbit mailed me a new unit but it was within the one
year warranty.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Lyann_1989. Welcome to the Forums. @Myoung71, it's good to see you here and thanks for your big help!

@Lyann_1989, thanks for letting me know about your Alta's behavior and the steps tried prior posting. I understand how important this tracker has been through your healthy journey and let's work on this together. I've contacted our Support team and shared your details so they can create a case and give you a hand. They'll be contacting you via email, so make sure to check your inbox.

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LizzyFitbit 

Hello. Thanks so much for reading my comment. 

I received an email from the support team but I just read it now as I have been very busy with my schedule.Thanks again!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had mine for about a year. It keeps shutting off, however it is not a dead battery. I contacted support 2 times. They said it was too old to replace but gave 25% discount off new one. Well. It’s only good on certain models. I can replace it with another brand cheaper which is what I will do. These are not reliable devices. Others friends have switched too. 

Best Answer

My replacement Alta Fitbit is still working great after 7 months. So far so good!!

I am up to 14 months with my replacement Alta. 7/24/2020

Debating on my next choice of trackers since i fear it won’t likely last much longer. 

Best Answer

Hi - I am having the same issue... I have restarted a number of times, but it shuts down after a couple of hours 😞

Best Answer
Their offer of 25% off SELECT Fitbit devices is not satisfactory. These are obviously defective. They should replace them. I’m moving to another brand now.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos.
Best Answer

Since they no longer produce the Alta and have not offered them for sale on their website since about February 2019, replacement with same model is likely no longer an option. Thankfully, they still had a few when mine failed so I had a choice between the discount or a replacement though the Alta was no longer being offered for sale on their website. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree... this device is 13 months old,.. now unusable - ridiculous 😞

what other brand do you recommend?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have not tried any others. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. It's good to continue seeing you in this thread and I'm sorry for the delayed response.

@Lyann_1989, you're welcome and thanks to you for keeping me updated. I'm glad that our team has been assisting you and let me suggest to continue working with them so you can receive more details about your tracker.

@AKGramma, thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience with your replacement Alta. I'm glad that it has been working great and if anything happens, feel free to let me know.

@PattiP3188, I appreciate your feedback and time while working on your tracker. I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm sorry that you've had this experience. Our team constantly works on our products and your feedback will help us to evaluate our procedures and improve your experience with our products. Please know that you're always welcome back to the Fitbit family.

@SHic72, thanks for joining this thread and sharing details about your Alta's behavior. I know how you're feeling about this matter and appreciate the steps tried to get it working again. I've checked with our Support team and apparently you've created a case with them. Keep an eye on your inbox, you'll get some information about your case.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have the same issue, I have done several restarts but still it will shut off around 2 or 3 times a day! I have had this alta for 12 months and I'm quite disappointed in the money spent for something that isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

If there is any way this could be sorted that would be great. 

Kind regards 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. My Fitbit is over 3 years old so they won’t replace it. My daughter has the same one I got 3 fitbits hers still works mine just shuts down on full charge. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I got another brand. No problems and a whole lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typos.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey! I am also having the same issue with my Alta. I love the watch when it works but randomly throughout the day it shuts off and the only way to turn it back on is to plug it in. As soon as I plug it in, it turns back on and has sufficient battery life. I've also tried restarting mine but it hasn't helped. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes
This seems to be pretty common. Sadly Fitbit are not helping... apart from offering a small discount off a new model. Shortsighted of them - I won’t be buying another!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I keep deleting the app then reinstalled it four times. It works a little. Not getting phone or text notifications but of course reminders to move 🙄🙄
Shuts down after a couple of hours. Mine is four years old but I got my daughter one at the same time hers works fine. So annoying right

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
I rely on the text notifications does your new one have this?

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue in that my Alta keeps switching off despite fully charged.  Iv tried all the reset instructions several times but it still isn’t working, please help

Best Answer
0 Votes

My "old" Fitbit Alta experienced the same last month.  I purchased a new one and the exact same thing is happening -- directly out of the box!!  I have attempted the re-start (which visually seemed successful as I was the fitbit logo).  That lasted only about 1 hour and then it appears to be dead.  

Help!!

Best Answer
0 Votes