Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta suddenly turning off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I did the update  I've noticed my Alta all of a sudden shuts off with no warning. Every time the battery is on yellow but not dead. I get nothing on the screen and it stops syncing. I mainly use it for phone or text notifications so not having it working with no warning is a problem. I am able to restart it by plugging it in. But that option is not always available. It never did that before the update. Now I regret doing the update. 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
589 REPLIES 589

Hi there @G.Kristin. Good to see you in the Community Forums! 🙂

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Alta turning off all of a sudden. That's very strange 😕 Thanks though for what you have tried to get it to work!

Now, when it turns off, do you need to actually restart it to make it come back on or just by putting it to charge it comes back on? Also, do you notice if the battery drains faster than it should or it just turns off even if the battery is high?

Please, provide with as much detail as possible and I'll be happy to take a deeper look into this. If you need anything else, I'm always around!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I'm not G.Kristin., but I can tell you about mine. I have a Fitbit alta activity tracker also. Mine too quit working after the last update. This might not be the same as the others but I will try my best to explain what is happening to mine. When I put it on the charger, it totally re-powers (turns on like it would after it went dead). Mine claims it is still 3/4 of the way charged, but when I take it off the charger it says it is still charging for a few seconds then it powers back off. It seems to have a mind of its own, because sometimes it will go for a few hours or up to a few days before it powers off. I have reset it multiple times when it will reset. Sometimes it will not even respond when I press and hold on the reset button. Mine will actually come on when it's on the charger without me having to restart it. As you have probably noticed, quite a few others have been having the same or similar problem......

Best Answer
Thanks for responding. Every time it dies, it turns on as soon as I plug it in. It also shows it still has some power left and wasn't fully dead. I haven't noticed an unusual drain. I go about 4 days on a charge. The first time it turned off, it started vibrating like crazy. I had my hands full and figured it was just my hitting my daily step count as I was close to it. Then about an hour later, I noticed it was dead when I didn't get a notification for a phone call. I also had not reached my step count so I don't know what the vibrating was for. The other times, I did not have any warning. Just tapped it to get the time and nothing. Prior to the update, i had no issues. Now I've had it shut off like 6 to 8 times. I keep my phone on silent as I'm a teacher. Not having it work for texts and calls has been an issue and I've missed important calls. 
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

Mine is doing the exact same thing!

Best Answer

I am experiencing the same problem. Fitbit is not responsive other than offering a discount toward the purchase of a new one because I am out of warranty.  I was to hear back from higher level technical support some time ago yet crickets. The issue is related to firmware which the company can resolve the issue by creating software to address the issue but they would rather lose a customer than fix this problem.  Tell everyone about this problem you are experiencing and maybe the company will respond when it hits them in their  $

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Hey you guys! I figured out how to fix my Fitbit! Mine has been acting up like quite a few other's were since the last update. Things like not turning on unless it was charging, battery draining very quickly, things like that. Well I thought I had run into the end of my resources...... Suddenly I had an idea when I saw the words "remove this device from your account". I tried it. I removed my alta from my account and then re-added it (while it was on the charger). I had to completely re-set it up, but I'm pretty sure that it worked! It charged up really fast and I wore it all evening and then to bed last night. For now, it still works. I would like to here other's experiences with this.

Best Answer

Thank you for the great information, however, this did not work for me.

I wonder how old is your Alta? that might make a difference. 

Did you remove it completely from your computer and phone? then restarted it as if it was a new Fitbit?

I look forward to hearing from you as that is the first ray of hope because Fitbit is of no help 

Best Answer

Happening since last update:: When fully charged, my Alta acts normal.  However, when the charge hits 3/4 (75%) charged, it shuts down and will not come back on until I charge it back up.  When the charge is done, it has lost all tracking for that day and I have to sync it to re-set the time.

Best Answer

Mine has been having issues as well.

Works and then stop recieving notifications for hour steps, texts, calls. Tap it to check time and such and no response. Have to plug into charger where it boots (fitbit logo displays along with version 21.21.40.2), don't have to restart with button.

Lost steps from when it shut off.

No low battery notification or email.

Today still has more than 1/2 battery and when powered on it says 11:22am so guess that is likely when it stopped.

Been happening for a couple weeks now.

Best Answer

maybe we should see exactly how many people are having this problem and present it to Fitbit allowing them an opportunity to fix it or take it elsewhere. I believe this can be fixed with firmware!

Best Answer

I have very similar problems with mine. Not sure when mine last updated.  I charged it yesterday, this morning it was dead. It has been charging all day and says battery is full. I can also scroll thru my info. Then I take it off the charger and it goes blank.

I have very similar problems with mine. Not sure when mine last updated

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer

My fitbit does the same thing.  If I take it off for too long it won't turn on (even if it's fully charged).  As soon as I plug it in, it comes back on to the right amount of charge.  The time is usually wrong until I sync with my phone each time though.  Works fine until it "sleeps" and won't come back on.

Best Answer
I agree. It seriously never happened until I did the update. 

Best Answer

I have a video I created this morning when it did it again.

Based on its clock it stopped at 9:09am. I noticed around noon I wasn't getting my :50 reminders to move.

I can share so the support staff can review. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jn1Eyu9q8tTLzBLz9

Best Answer
Thank you for this video. This is exactly what I'm going through. My battery is not dead but it acts like it's dead. No warning, no notice. It's to the point I can't rely on it for notifications of calls and texts. 

Best Answer

This exact same thing is happening to me.  I had already pre-ordered the Charge 3 because I've read the life of an Alta is ~2 years and I'm over the two-year mark, plus there are additional features I like about the C3, but I don't want to give up on my Alta yet.  I just started relying on it again after a period of stress/anxiety/depression that caused me to re-gain my lost weight.  I'm almost panicking when I see how unreliable my Alta has become, because I've really come to depend on the data to keep me motivated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder how many of us are having the same problem and FITBIT is not addressing the issue???  Time to Escalate it to their engineering or technical support escalation and not just front line tech. 

There should be more life than 2 years and FITBIT needs to address these
issues as it is not just a handful of people , they are convincing people to
buy rather than fix the issue. Not everyone can afford to buy a new unit
every two years.

Let's see how many people are having same problem and take it to a higher
level at the company as this is a systemic problem that needs to be
resolved.

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
I'm only at 15 months. That sux about the 2 yr lifespan. I love my Alta. It's the perfect size and does what I need. 

Best Answer

Mine does the same thing. Never had this problem with my old Charge.

Best Answer