Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta suddenly turning off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I did the update  I've noticed my Alta all of a sudden shuts off with no warning. Every time the battery is on yellow but not dead. I get nothing on the screen and it stops syncing. I mainly use it for phone or text notifications so not having it working with no warning is a problem. I am able to restart it by plugging it in. But that option is not always available. It never did that before the update. Now I regret doing the update. 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
589 REPLIES 589

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hi there guys! Thanks a lot for your continued participation in this thread!

Thanks a lot for your reports on this matter and again, I'm very sorry about this but I don't have any update as of right now. I'll keep posting and once I have an update, I'll be sure to share it here.

Anything else, I'm always around and thanks a lot for your patience and comprehension.

Ferdinand, Appreciate you continually coming back with updates.  Of course we'd all rather have news that the problem has been corrected.  Since posting, there are still more having issues, even brand new owners.  Hoping those above you are truly listening and not just yanking our chains.  

Seems the powers that be would understand this situation will prevent future sales and those with problems will be talking to others. Just human nature, no ill will intended.  

One other bit of info I wish Fitbit would include would be about the lifespan of a tracker battery.  Realizing this depends on usage, at least a range could be noted.  I really didn't give any thought to the lifespan of a tracker battery when looking at trackers to purchase. 

Will hope you are privy to information soon.  

Best Answer

You're very welcome @denamo!

I will ask and see if there's any update and I'll be  sure to let you guys know if not by the end of this week, by the beginning of the next one. I can't promise that there will be a fix for this by then but at least to know the status of the investigation.

Thank you for your patience!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes
I told them if they couldn't do better I will have to go with Apple product.  

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
What is the life span of battery on ALTA and how many charges does it
allow. I know that there is a life on batteries of portable computers before
replacement is necessary. How can we know when and how to replace the
battery of ALTA in order to prevent some of the issues that so many of us
are experiencing?

When can we expect and updated Firmware? I suspect that this should be
considered to address some of the issues that we are experiencing.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am currently deciding on buying another tracker. When I bought this one, I did not even realize trackers had to be charged so often. At that time, I charged every 7 - 8 days. Not anymore. If the battery goes yellow on the app, I have to charge to keep it from dying. I have now found trackers that take a regular watch battery. I will replace it with one of those trackers, not Fitbit. They have lost my business over this problem and their lack of ability to correct it.

Best Answer

@BirdieShie wrote:

I am currently deciding on buying another tracker. When I bought this one, I did not even realize trackers had to be charged so often. At that time, I charged every 7 - 8 days. Not anymore. If the battery goes yellow on the app, I have to charge to keep it from dying. I have now found trackers that take a regular watch battery. I will replace it with one of those trackers, not Fitbit. They have lost my business over this problem and their lack of ability to correct it.

I would like to say they may need time to fix the problem which could be understandable. The problem I am having with fitbit is their failure to admit there is a problem or update the community. I know @FerdinandFitbit has been looking (at least he says he has). But it is a failure to update the comunity. Fixes take time but updates dont take much time. An ETA of update or fix is what I would like. If I dont get one by end of next week I will be shopping around for a new device as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is doing the same thing, it also seems to have a mind of its own. When I put it on the charger it turns on for a moment, says it is fully charged then turns off. When I take it off the charger and try to wear it it is non responsive and dead. I have tried to reset it multiple times, at times it looks like it might reset and start to go through the motions- it may turn on for a moment or it may turn off, sometimes it will not even respond when I press and hold on the reset button. It has not synced in days and is useless!!!! No steps, no alerts, no alarms, no clock/date. . .  Fitbit- is there is solution for me and the others? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BirdieShie wrote:

I had a tracker that ran on a replaceable battery prior to purchasing  the Fitbit.  It was a very rudimentary tracker, so I was happy to graduate to an upgraded tracker.  I will say after having both types, my preference would be one with a battery also.  I liked not having to charge it.  Keeping batteries on hand is an easy fix to make sure I will have power. 

The tracker industry, however, has gone the way of cell phones with built in batteries requiring the whole unit to be replaced once the battery is depleted.  Honestly I never thought about this when purchasing a tracker.  I recently pulled out my tracker that required a battery when all of the issues with the Fitbit began to occur.  It still worked.  The battery in it didn't have much "juice", so wearing it was short lived.  

I would mention the brand I have requiring a battery, but not allowed.  I mentioned a brand on here as I was looking at to replace my Fitbit, and received an email stating I had violated community guidelines.  That post was removed.  I truly wasn't aware of this guideline, and didn't mean to violate the community guidelines. So, getting advice on other trackers posters have used, or might use, violates community policy.  Just wanted to put that out here so others can abide by the rules. 🙂 

Best Answer
I had the same experience

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm following this, as have been having exactly the same problem with my Fitbit Alta since the beginning of October.  It seems unlikely to be a coincidence and more likely due to an update, but I'm waiting to see if there's a solution before buying a new fitness tracker (probably not a Fitbit!).

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit is there any update?

Best Answer
0 Votes
For a moment there, well almost a week, I thought the problem had bern fixed as I hadn't had an issue but today mid morning I've noticed it's died again.
Come on fitbit, this needs resolving and now!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

Hi everyone! Thanks a lot for your patience with this!

At this point, I've checked with our team but we still don't have any update on this.

At this point, I'd like to start escalating your cases to our Support Team for them to see what are the available options for you. Please, reply to this post if you're still experiencing this problem and I'll be happy to get the process started for you.

Again, thanks a lot for your patience with this. If you have more questions, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am still experiencing this problem. As a matter of fact, I have my Fitbit charging right now. I charged it last night and by 10 AM, the thing was dead. 
Patty

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes.
Still having the problem.
Lost my sleep tracking last night. ARGH!!
I am currently seriously looking at buying another brand!

And so I lost all my tracking from sleep last night....

And it is still charging at 2:20 pm. So I have also lost all my steps today.

And the battery is still showing yellow so I can't use it yet!!

Yes, a different brand is what I need.

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
Still having the same problem. In fact, I have given up and I’m using my husband’s Alta. His wasn’t affected.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi FerdinandFitbit, 

Yes I am still having this issue. My Alta still is not working.  Thank you for continuing to work on our issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I'm still experiencing the same problem.
Lost my steps today. The last week I lost a challenge. In fact I can't use it at all.  
I am looking forward to have it working or I'll search for another brand too. Please, do something.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, me too - I have a case # from when I chatted with support a couple of weeks ago #26973327
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still having problems. I can keep mine going if I charge it as soon as it gets to yellow. But if I let it sit in yellow for even a few hrs, it's dead. They are still saying it's a battery issue. That its draining to quick. I don't see it as a battery issue cause it shuts off anywhere from 33 to 75% I've called them multiple times. I never even got a coupon for a discount on a new one. 

Best Answer
0 Votes