Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta suddenly turning off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ever since I did the update  I've noticed my Alta all of a sudden shuts off with no warning. Every time the battery is on yellow but not dead. I get nothing on the screen and it stops syncing. I mainly use it for phone or text notifications so not having it working with no warning is a problem. I am able to restart it by plugging it in. But that option is not always available. It never did that before the update. Now I regret doing the update. 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
589 REPLIES 589
Please do escalate it. I've been through customer support and they have offered me a discount on a new one. But what I'd actually like to know is whether this is a fixable problem.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes still experiencing the same problem. Tbh I’ve given up with it. Would consider buying another one, series 3? But they don’t seem to have very good reviews... time to change?

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@FerdinandFitbit Mine is still having the problems I have reported on the fourms. I have contacted support and they gave me discount codes for older products due to mine being over 2 years old. So unless you can get me a discount on the versa Ill likely be making the switch to elsewhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hi everyone! Thanks a lot for your patience with this!

At this point, I've checked with our team but we still don't have any update on this.

At this point, I'd like to start escalating your cases to our Support Team for them to see what are the available options for you. Please, reply to this post if you're still experiencing this problem and I'll be happy to get the process started for you.

Again, thanks a lot for your patience with this. If you have more questions, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out!

Ferdinand, Not sure what the Support Team can do.  Their offer was a discount coupon on limited merchandise.  This solution of offering a discount coupon to the problem of the Alta cutting off soon before it has lost its charge isn't a solution at all.  My offer is now long gone since they told me it was good for 30 days.  

What we need is for Fitbit to fix this problem that plenty are experiencing.  Can the Support Team actually make all of our Alta's not cut off with still a 75%?  If so, that is great.  If not, a discount coupon is no solution no matter how much escalating is done. 

Best Answer

Hi As per my previous post....

my Fitbit Alta won’t last more than a few hours after charging and is now completely unusable. It was purchased in August 2016.

I am not confident in purchasing another Alta as there are so many people with the exactly the same problem.

Please advise how to proceed?

Best Answer

I have had all the same issues with fitbit turning off and going blank but it doesnt appear to be a battery issue as it comes back  to life as soon as I plug in on charge and always shows as fully or 3/4 charged.

I had two long conversations with Fitbit and I insisted on a replacement and I highlighted that it should last longer than 2 years and is a known issue. They offered me a discount on buying another one which I refused - why would I buy another with a known issue ?

They finally agreed to replace but only after complaining etc. This shouldn't be necessary as it should last longer than two years.

Keep pushing them and hopefully they can resolve the issue and replace where needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's been months without any fix to this FitBit Alta situation and it's currently happening with new purchasers as well?  How stupid of FitBit ... it's not like you don't have a variety of FitBit choices, as you fully understand, one does not always fit all, but come on now!!  Let's get this fixed already ... I'm at the point that I too may start looking for a different brand.  I would rather have something I can sync to my phone and or computer and be able to re-charge ... the whole battery thing is just a pain.

I've been a long time FitBit user.  I have gone through 2 original FitBits and one Charge .... all of which were replaced by FitBit no problem.  I like the Alta because it's not HUGE like the others.  If I want to carry around a huge tracker on my arm, I would get an arm-band for my phone and down load friggin' app at a marginal price to that of a FitBit.  Let's not lose another customer, FitBit ... GET ON IT!

Best Answer
Many of us have already tried this. If your device is new they'll send you
a new one. If it's past warranty, too bad so sad. They will offer you a
discount on purchasing a new device.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is past it’s warranty by six months. 

Goods hsve to last a reasonable time to be of ‘satisfactory quality’. If they know aboot a widespread fault and the goods don’t last , then you have some rights under the consumer rights act of 2015. 

This is is what I told them. It wasn’t forthcoming easily but I asked for a manager and stood my ground. They know thete is a problem and it is unfair to then offer a discount to buy another device ! 

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hi everyone! Thanks a lot for your patience with this!

At this point, I've checked with our team but we still don't have any update on this.

At this point, I'd like to start escalating your cases to our Support Team for them to see what are the available options for you. Please, reply to this post if you're still experiencing this problem and I'll be happy to get the process started for you.

Again, thanks a lot for your patience with this. If you have more questions, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out!

Ferdinand, What does it mean to escalate cases to the Support Team.  Would you please explain what is meant by that? Yes, I'm still experiencing the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!  Good to see you around! 🙂

I'll be happy to escalate your cases to our Support Team for them to provide further assistance.

What this means is that at the moment, there is not a solution for this problem and I will be escalating your cases to the Support Team so that they  can evaluate your warranty status and based on it, if you're still under warranty, they will most likely replace your tracker and if you're out of warranty, they will offer other alternatives as discounts on the purchase of a new tracker.

@PattyinVA @BirdieShie @SunsetRunner @RisaCay @pattells @Eeyorerose @NinjaGirl I've escalated your cases to the Support Team. Keep an eye on your inbox for more instructions and if you need more help, let me know!

@IrenaIvanova I was able to see that you've already contacted our Support Team. They should get back with you shortly.

@G.Kristin, I noticed that our Support Team was in the process of checking the issue with you. Please, take a look at the emails they've sent to continue with the process.

@Almo69 @nightdarkangel @denamo, thanks a lot for getting in touch with our Support Team. However, if they've already offer you alternate solutions as the discount in this case, I wouldn't be able to offer anything else 😕 It seems that at the moment the issue doesn't have a fix. Thanks a lot for understading!

@denamo, if you'd like to take advantage of the discount, let me know so that I can speak with the Support Team for them to extend the offer.

If any of you need more help or has any question about this, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hi everyone!  Good to see you around! 🙂

I'll be happy to escalate your cases to our Support Team for them to provide further assistance.

What this means is that at the moment, there is not a solution for this problem and I will be escalating your cases to the Support Team so that they  can evaluate your warranty status and based on it, if you're still under warranty, they will most likely replace your tracker and if you're out of warranty, they will offer other alternatives as discounts on the purchase of a new tracker

@denamo, if you'd like to take advantage of the discount, let me know so that I can speak with the Support Team for them to extend the offer.

If any of you need more help or has any question about this, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out!

Ferdinand,

You have tried and gotten exactly the same as those of us who have already contacted the Support Team.  Very disheartening for Fitbit to realize there is a problem, but refuses to fix it. Offering a discount on specific, less current models is not a solution. 

I will not be utilizing any discount, even if extended  Can't say I'd recommend purchasing a Fitbit product if asked. A tracker should last much longer than slightly two years.  

I do hope Fitbit values you for your faithfulness to return to this forum.  You are in a precarious position to report only bad news.  Please note none of my frustration is with you personally.  It's totally at Fitbit and their lack of solving an obvious flaw that seems to have been created on their end.   

Best Answer

I agree totally with this post. 

Nothing against @FerdinandFitbit, at least he had the guts to talk to us. 

This is Fitbit’s problem. I will be buying a new tracker this week - not Fitbit brand. 

I will also not recommend Fitbit to anyone, except that I enjoyed 2 years. And will recommend if anyone wants a tracker longer, don’t buy Fitbit. 

Best Answer

Nothing against you but I think its crap that a product I spent over $100 barely lasted 15 months. I have contacted customer support many times and have not even been offered the discount. I'm hearing the discount is not even on the newest product either. I for one will not be using a discount to by another fitbit branded product  there are many out there so we have choices.. the Alta is sti being sold which is ridiculous with the problems that it has. I can tell you. Whenever on at a store that sells fitbit, I let anyone who is looking at the product know that it won't last over 1 year. I've gotten a few to change their mind and look at other products. 

Best Answer

My faulty Fitbit was 17 months old, with only 4 messages to the customer services centre they agreed that there was a fault and offered me a free direct replacement or 50% off a different model.

Replacement arrived within days of accepting the offer and so far so good.

I'll be back if the fault returns though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dmj2810 wrote:

My faulty Fitbit was 17 months old, with only 4 messages to the customer services centre they agreed that there was a fault and offered me a free direct replacement or 50% off a different model.

Replacement arrived within days of accepting the offer and so far so good.

I'll be back if the fault returns though.

Wow! If they had done this for everyone; this thread would not exist.  My Alta was only 15 months old. Never received any offer of a replacement.  Minimal discount coupon only was offered.

Were you experiencing the same issue of your Fitbit shutting down with 75% charge left? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also got a replacement for the same turning off fault and mine was over 2 years old.

I did highlight that it was a well known issues and was discussed online and a decent tracker would last more than two years so they are selling without telling people that they believe it would only last two years .......

I also complained in writing,

I have just received the replacement and it doesn't charge at all ! They have messaged me back to say they will be reviewing the warranty status even though I received it yesterday ! lets see how this pans out ........... would the new fitbit need a new charger as well ?

Best Answer
0 Votes
HiYes, my fitbit would just shut down with as much as 75% battery left. Sometimes within hours of being taken off charge.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dmj2810 wrote:
HiYes, my fitbit would just shut down with as much as 75% battery left. Sometimes within hours of being taken off charge.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Thanks for reporting back, Dmj2810. That is exactly how my Alta responds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, once again I am without my fitbit at work  I noticed it was off as I was walking out the door. It was only at yellow on battery. I'm fed up. It can't just randomly shut off like this. I have called multiple times. A I get is it's a battery issue and I need to charge it. It was only on yellow and the thing said battery was at medium. That's not dead. Mine started at 15 months old. I have not even been offered a discount. A product should last more than 15 months. I love the alta for its size as I didn't want a bulky watch type thing. But seriously, this is getting ridiculous. 

Best Answer
0 Votes