Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit not compatible with Samsung Galaxy J3

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have just bought a fitbit Alta HR which has connected but the sync keeps dropping. Ive just read that my Samsung galaxy j3 is not compatible?? Does this mean i have bought something incompatible even though the app works? And wasted my money?? How do i return it if so

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have just bought an Alta HR and I have a Samsung J3. So far no problems with syncing or connecting with Bluetooth. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23

Hi there @Lolamfitz. Great to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry you're having problems with your Alta HR not connecting properly to your Samsung Galaxy J3 😕

It seems that indeed, the Samsung Galaxy J3 is not listed as a compatible device. In this situation, you can try to use a different device as a tablet that is compatible for syncing. The fact that the phone is not compatible, doesn't mean that the app won't work. It will actually display all the relevant information once it has synced through a compatible device but it will not sync to the tracker directly.

If you'd like to return your tracker, you can do so if you did this with any specific retailer and if you got your tracker from the Fitbit online store, you can let me know and I can definitely help you with this!

I'll be looking forward for your reply!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I have just bought an Alta HR and I have a Samsung J3. So far no problems with syncing or connecting with Bluetooth. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

mine won't update with my j3 and the heart rate doesn' work either.

Did you set yours up on the Samsung j3 or a different device?

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) was new in January 2017. Software is Android
5.1.1 and the last security patch was dated 1st August 2017.

I used the phone to set the whole thing up in accordance with the fitbit
site instructions. Pairing the device on Bluetooth was straight forward. I
already use it for my hands free car phone.

I don't try to keep it synchronised all day, at the moment the use is
focussed on sleep patterns and the devices have just been synchronised but
it took nearly two minutes. I hope this helps.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I used my daughters ipad pro to set it up and now it works. Sync no problem. I don't seem to get call/text alerts but thats not what I got the fitbit for so its not an issue for me. Advice would be get someone with an iPhone or ipad x

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used my daughters ipad pro to set it up initially andit works no problem. I just don't get call/text notifications but i wouldn't need that function anyway. Panic over. Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

Is this problem with the Samsung J3 already been solved? 
I recieved my fitbit alta HR and it will not synchronise with my phone.
i'm a bit dissapointed that i can't use him. 
I have no computer, only a tablet. Is any tablet ok to sync? or is the galaxy tab also not compatible there for? 
I'm hoping for a solution

Kind regards

Best Answer
0 Votes

The J3 is still not on the Supported Devices List. Some Galaxy tablets work fine, it depends which one it is. Mine works well (though it is not on the Supported List - Tab S2). Give the tablet a go.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 and a Fitbit Alta HR. I am reading posts which say these devices are not compatible. However, I bought the Fitbit in October 2017 and it was syncing until April this Year. It synced for the last time on 11th April 2018 and despite trying all the things I've read about I can't get it to sync. It's very frustrating.

Best Answer

I'm in the same situation!  Alta HR and Samsung J3 all fine in October 2017, added an Ionic in Feb 2018 and all fine then started getting problems with the HR in April.  Have tried everything and now have an HR that won't sync and an Ionic I've been told that I need to sync with another phone - I don't have another phone! I now have two devices I can't use when everything was working well a couple of months ago...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same!! These phones are only 2 years old and run a fairly new Android operating system. How on earth are they not compatible?! I would’ve never dreamed in a million years! 😐

Best Answer

I know!  I ended up buying a new phone to get the HR to work, which it now does, but haven't tried adding the Ionic yet in can it messes everything up again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Frustrading huh? I linked my alta hr to my 7year old tablet and installed the app on my J3. Now everything works great. I still don't understand why it worked with my old tablet and not to my new phone. 🤔

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes! Such a crock that my kid can play addicting online games that can’t be mentioned on this thread like f-nite on this device but it can’t sync a Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was given a Fitbit Alta HR as a gift and it was working fine with my Samsung Galaxy J3. My phone was updated and the app no longer linked with my device. I called Samsung and to no avail. I called Fitbit and their only solution was to send me another Fitbit. What needs to be done is update the Fitbit app. I can sync my device but cannot link it to the app. There for I cannot get messages or calls on my Fitbit. So frustrating! Neither Fitbit or Samsung are willing to, can't or won't address the problem. Which is the update! 

Best Answer

Unfortunately the J3 is not on the Supported Devices List, so until it is added (and Fitbit wont say what phones they are working on or give projected dates for inclusion) you will probably continue to have problems unless a future update serendipitously fixes it. The only thing you can do is to work through the suggestion in this Help Article and hope one works for you. Why wont my tracker sync?

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@NellyG wrote:

Unfortunately the J3 is not on the Supported Devices List

But it does list Samsung J. Wouldn't that mean all J models? The 3 the 7 etc. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No unfortunately. Samsung J means the J model only - not any J's later in the series like J3 or J7

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Same problem. I tried every possible setting on my J3 with 6.0 android software. No luck in pairing Bluetooth from phone to charge 3. I have 2 mp3 players and a 1 portable speaker that all pair with the J3 Bluetooth. Shame on fitbit for not betting the popular J3 not to work with the Charge 3. The charge 3 does sync with my 2 older computers so I can update my fitbit account but can not receive any messages on the Charge 3 during the day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes